Another new user here, i wanted to share my review of Wing Commander III

Welcome! Always good to see a friendly ship!

We love this kind of stuff around here. Great work!

Yes, changing avatars is reserved for members with 2000 or more posts, or on occasion is awarded to those who have contributed greatly to the community over time, as mentioned in the forum ranks FAQ.

Nice, new users always mean it's back to the grassroots with some of our old discussions about which fighters are better... I miss those days! :(

Welcome!

... we should probably lower the number of posts needed for an avatar since things aren't so busy these days--but I do like the rank system.

I have to disagree. Frosty 2 is about at 2k posts and he's been here in the quietest three years of the CIC. In my case I don't have 2k posts because the majority of the time I have nothing intelligent to say, and manage to keep all that stupid to myself as much as possible. Otherwise I'd probably have those 2k posts... and a couple forum bans.

Ehhh not a huge deal, i can live without an avatar for awhile.

On the topic of Wing Commander, i just started playing Super Wing Commander on 3DO again and i have some questions...

Even though the main character is called Anderson in Super Wing Commander, this is Blair correct? Did they simply retcon the name change?

And Paladin...was his eye patch another retcon or do they actually explain anywhere as to why he has 2 working eyes in WC3? I never got to play WC2.

Lastly, what supposedly happened to all the fighter types from WC1? They just become obsolete? Cause they are never mentioned in WC3...i am guessing they are museum pieces now like the Victory in WC4?

I really need to play WC2, is the WC Saga version of it the best one to get, and does it work well in windows xp?

Sorry if these are noobish questions that have been answered in a FAQ somewhere.

I'm not familiar with Super Wing Commander, alas, and the only Anderson I can recall in the WC universe if Lieutenant Liam Anderson, communications officer aboard the TCS Midway.

Paladin has a varied and interesting background. Just as it's been suggested that Paladin's Scottish accent in earlier WCs was a false pretence, the same could be said of the eye-patch.

Finally, the issue with the fighters, we aren't always told of the age of various fighters in the WC universe. The idea is 'just because we don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. For example, the Hellcat first seen in WC3 also appears in the Academy TV series, so it's actually an old fighter by the time of WC3, compared with the Excalibur which is introduced in the same game. Similarly, the Scimitar is officially retired in Secret Missions 2, whereas the Rapier was only just introduced in WC1.

And never apologise for asking questions. :)

Oh yea armstrong my bad, so yea why is the character called Armstrong and not Blair, was that just a retcon or is he a different character in WC1?

Basically SWC was done before they had made it official that Blair was was his name... He doesn't really have a name in WC1 and 2 for PC.

Another question i had, is there an article on here listing all the differences between Wing Commander 4 for ps1 versus pc? I know it's missing a bunch of levels and cinematics, but i'd like to know what's missing so i can at least watch those cinemas on Youtube or something. I always stuck with the console WC games but i think i'll buy Saga one of these days.

Another question i had, is there an article on here listing all the differences between Wing Commander 4 for ps1 versus pc? I know it's missing a bunch of levels and cinematics, but i'd like to know what's missing so i can at least watch those cinemas on Youtube or something. I always stuck with the console WC games but i think i'll buy Saga one of these days.

For what I know the entire Circe series of missions is missing, so you are stuck in Speradon instead of having a choice after Peleus. Also, note that WC4 is NOT part of KS.

Ahhh right, forgot you have to buy wc4 stand alone.

Seems there's also minor scenes like this missing on ps1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O93jSkSp6iA

I'm almost positive the ps1 version didnt have that scene in the mess hall with catscratch and Sosa is not in the ps1 version just the scene with DEkker afterwords. I'll have to double check, i kinda feel cheated out of the story now.

I'm almost positive the ps1 version didnt have that scene in the mess hall with catscratch and Sosa is not in the ps1 version just the scene with DEkker afterwords. I'll have to double check, i kinda feel cheated out of the story now.

There's going to be slight differences between every version of the same WC game, but you should never feel cheated for playing the more obscure edition! Just by playing WC3 for 3DO you've had the opportunity to see its high quality video (the highest of any version), color comm displays, alternate missions, unique ships and the vampire missiles! It even has videos like the Hobbes explanation that the PC version cut.

The Playstation version of WC4, overall, is smaller than its PC counter part. That's obvious by seeing it came on 4 discs instead of 6, but it has unique replacement missions for the ground missions that it lacks and slightly revised mission briefings to match. All of this stuff is great.

Lastly, what supposedly happened to all the fighter types from WC1? They just become obsolete? Cause they are never mentioned in WC3...i am guessing they are museum pieces now like the Victory in WC4?

The novelization of WC4 mentions that the Border Worlds still use Scimitars and Rapiers. Rapiers also come back in Wing Commander Arena for XBox Live Arcade, and as a special treat to someone who played Super Wing Commander, they even use the SWC model! (alongside Armada/WC3 Arrows and WC2/Priv Broadswords)

All the more reason we need to figure out a way to rip the video files from the 3DO.

It would also be good to get that PC 3DO emulator working. I heard there was a better 3DO emulator out there but it was in Russian. Has anybody heard anything new or have they tested the Russian version with WC3?

this is great..i mentioned in another post that i just picked up the 3do version of Wing COmmander III...i am now looking for a 3do system to play it on..
but i really enjoyed the review..thanks Decay

Back