Announcing a new CIC utility for fan projects

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
In continuing our commitment to supporting fan projects, we're proud to announce the release of a new tool to assist with Step 2 in the CIC's Guide to Making a Fan Project

Step 2 is of course choosing a name for your project, a notoriously difficult task.. so let us help you with..

The Random Project Name Generator!

In addition to this it will even create a press release with the same amount of detail as your average "I've created a new project!" email, and it'll even write the news update for us. If you don't like something about it.. just hit refresh and try again!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

The Landreich Republic is under attack! The Mopoks are back and they have an amazing technology! Only the crew of the BWS Intrepid can save the universe! Luckily, you'll have the help of an amazing new super fighter! The mod will use the lackluster FreeLancer engine!

The Tri-System is under attack! The Mantu are back and they have an evil clone of Blair! Only the crew of the KIS Intrepid can save the universe! Luckily, you'll have the help of colored lighting! The mod will use the fantastic RealSpace engine!

KIS Intrepid? Sounds a bit fanboyish to me.

Yup, but then just about all projects are guilty of doing stuff like that. We're just saving people the trouble of thinking up their own crackpot ideas.

Fleet Revenge Announced!

Tolwyn sent us this press release in PDF format:

The Terran Confederation is under attack! The Nephilim are back and they have an amazing technology! Only the crew of the FRLS Freedom can save the universe! Luckily, you'll have the help of colored lighting! The mod will use the amazing Vision engine!

This one actually sounds pretty good excepting for the completely worthless title Fleet Revenge.

What doesn't work? Everyone else is clicking on the link and having it take them to the right place.

The Gemini Sector is under attack! The Steltek are back and they have an amazing new ship! Only the crew of the KIS Intrepid can save the universe! Luckily, you'll have the help of an amazing new super fighter! The mod will use the amazing Vision engine!

woohoo! :p

This really takes it a step further than the Fan Project Guide. Thanks for the reinvention of formulaic storytelling, and let's hope that we see enough different stories coming up elsewhere...

Sort of funny, but mostly negative. Is there a REAL guide to making fan projects?

Or

"If you need a guide, you don't need to make a fun project" - which may be true. But people who hastily try to start a project they have no hope in completeing won't get the point of this humor, though they probably would have benefitted from a "Come to daddy" article about what it takes to do a fan project.

This thing comes off as condenscending and rude.

Gagarin, to summarize Chris' elaborate comment:

This community isn't just teeming with vendor-developed gadgets for mod creation, readily applicable libraries and objects, and lots and lots of paid forum members to help fan projects along because the company has an interest in keeping the customers focussed. This is a fan project in itself - hundreds of people trying to keep the WC experience alive years after the company has stopped being interested in us, the fans. If people want to do a fan project here, they can count on the support of quite a few experienced and hardy fan-project professionals - if their ideas and concepts are okay. If people waltz in here with some half-cooked idea à la Random Project Generator, then lean back and ask for artists, developers, script writers, they are just wasting other people's time and resources.

So: Condescending and rude, yes. For a reason.

Yeah, I don't even think the generator is rude at all. It's just funny. I could see how someone might think the step-by-step guide is condescending, but that's because they haven't seen the things we've seen. Most of us who have been around here since the nineties have seen that exact process followed time and time again over the years. It's eeriely accurate more than anything.

This is easily the best random generator since the Random LeHah Livejournal Entry Generator. Where'd that go, LOAF?

I loved the "colored lighting", having actually implemented it myself. I still claim it's non trivial to do :). Silly.

Back