Animal Precinct

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Do any of you ever watch this show? It's almost compelling, and depressing and gross. I was watching it the other day and it was the typical scenario where the animal cop people find some junkyard dogs who were seemingly abandoned. So after a couple days they managed to get the dogs out. There was this emaciated pitbull that looked a skeleton with fur draped over it.

The worst part was that its ears were studded with all these ticks. It looked so terrible. After I saw it my nose starting itching. And I just couldn't stop scratching it and it just got worse and worse then I started sneezing like crazy. I don't know if it was hives or anything. Ugh, they weren't just on his ears. But most of them were.

Why the hell do people who shouldn't have pets have pets. And you don't just have to starve a dog in order to neglect it. Besides feeding it, you gotta take it for walks, give it baths, take it to the vet and get its shots, all that stuff.

Unfortunately, a lot of people see dogs as status symbols. The fact that it was a pitbull shows me it is the same in this instance. People buy pitbulls, rottweilers, dobermans, etc. becuase they think those dogs somehow make them cool. It makes me sick as well.

Well, of course, you have to realize that shows that this are created for the purpose of making you think this way so you end up supporting their hidden agenda. "Animal Precinct" is made by or at least endorsed by the ASPCA, which is not an evil organization with an evil agenda, but the show does kind of purposely skew your views on how the general populace treats their pets.

I have never known the problem to be so bad in real life. Shows like this only show you the rarer cases.

This is true... watching everyday people with their everyday pets wouldn't be interesting, even though it probably would be much less depressing. It's more compelling because of it shows us the lowest of the low... But I think the show is quite interesting for one thing - have you ever noticed such an emotional reaction to people being treated this way? Not as often.

FlashFire82 said:
But I think the show is quite interesting for one thing - have you ever noticed such an emotional reaction to people being treated this way? Not as often.

That's a good point. If COPS is one of those kinds of shows, then I guess not.

The NERVE!!! They want us to treat animals well! MY god, the conspiracies know no bounds?

Seriously, I find cruelty to animals is matched only by cruelty to children. Animals are just as deserving of dignity and respect as human beings, the fact that we are a bit more sentient than them is no reason to be evil. Then again there is the whole farm animal stuff, and that is a lot more horrifying than anything done to the dogs.

Of course you have to consider the morality issue of using these neglected and mistreated animals for the purpose of extorting you to send them money.

I agree that animals are deserving of dignity and respect, which includes not broadcasting pictures and video of them as if they were nothing but objects.

Nomad Terror said:
I agree that animals are deserving of dignity and respect, which includes not broadcasting pictures and video of them as if they were nothing but objects.

Why would broadcasting video of them make them objects? Does it change what we are if we go on some tv show?

Edfilho said:
The NERVE!!! They want us to treat animals well! MY god, the conspiracies know no bounds?

Seriously, I find cruelty to animals is matched only by cruelty to children. Animals are just as deserving of dignity and respect as human beings, the fact that we are a bit more sentient than them is no reason to be evil. Then again there is the whole farm animal stuff, and that is a lot more horrifying than anything done to the dogs.

Animals rip each other apart in the natural world with no mercy. Why is giving them good food and safety until they are killed (as in any legal US mass producing cattle/chicken/food setting) a bad thing?

Animals are not people.

Now, before anyone calls me a crazy nazi kitten impaler, I do think that cruelty to animals should be a crime, and it is. But, when two guys from the same NBA team (Portland Trail Blazers -AKA the Jail blazers) are caught breaking the law, the guy on weed walks away with a fine and a game's suspension, and the guy fighting dogs gets a huge fine and is cut from the team, and he was just charged, not even convicted at the time. Personally, I think both should be cut, but if anytyhing, doing drugs is a far worse offense than participating in dog fights. But hey, I'm just a crazy nazi kitten impaler. :p

This is the most unexpected thread topic ever. To comment though, I'd have to say, I much prefer animals in the wild. Animal cruelty or that weird dog on animal planet that finds drugs isn't a cool as seeing a lion rip up a baby zebra out of desperate hunger.

-Rance-

I prefer animals seasoned, cooked, and served with savory side dishes like mashed potatoes, gravy, and fried okra. :D Yummy. :p

Do any of you ever watch this show? It's almost compelling, and depressing and gross. I was watching it the other day and it was the typical scenario where the animal cop people find some junkyard dogs who were seemingly abandoned. So after a couple days they managed to get the dogs out. There was this emaciated pitbull that looked a skeleton with fur draped over it.

The worst part was that its ears were studded with all these ticks. It looked so terrible. After I saw it my nose starting itching. And I just couldn't stop scratching it and it just got worse and worse then I started sneezing like crazy. I don't know if it was hives or anything. Ugh, they weren't just on his ears. But most of them were.

Why the hell do people who shouldn't have pets have pets. And you don't just have to starve a dog in order to neglect it. Besides feeding it, you gotta take it for walks, give it baths, take it to the vet and get its shots, all that stuff.

I can't watch this show, but I'm glad it's on and people watch it. Cruelty to animals (including farm animals) is horrendous.

Back