And for some Humor...

Originally posted by Worf
Not that it matters, since we're all going to hell anyhow. After all, there are many religions out there, and a number of them state the only way to heaven is to be a part of their religion. Thus, we're all going to hell. QED.

Not ALL of us, young Padawan; your logic is flawed. You are essentially saying that, since *many* claim to be the only way, there must NOT be an "only" way out there. This is illogical.

The logical conclusion, rather, is that if many claim to be "the" way, and their "ways" are incompatible with one another, then one must be right, while the others are in error.

That said, what you then gotta do is take the religions that you're referring to, evaluate 'em thoroughly, and come to some conclusion as to which one seems to make the most sense as being "right". If you are insightful enough to pick the correct one, then you will not be among the masses who, um, go "south" when they check out of Hotel Earth. Comprendes?...

BTW, what is "QED"?...

Let's simplify matters and say we have two religions, A and B. Both claim that if you're not part of their religion, then you'll go to hell. Since it's more or less impossible to be a member of both religions simultaneously, we can assume upon death that you'll be of one religion or other. Now, if you go to heaven for that religon, the other will have you go to hell, so you end up in hell (and heaven). But, you're still in hell.

(And QED stands for "left as an exercise to the reader", or more formally, the english translation is "Quite Easily Demonstrated. (it's a latin phrase). Some intelligent people use QED to prove their theorems because they don't know to go on :D).

Originally posted by Preacher
Not ALL of us, young Padawan; your logic is flawed. You are essentially saying that, since *many* claim to be the only way, there must NOT be an "only" way out there. This is illogical.

The logical conclusion, rather, is that if many claim to be "the" way, and their "ways" are incompatible with one another, then one must be right, while the others are in error.

Where exactly is the logical premise in your thinking that implies one religion must be right at all? It may not be logical that just because religions contradict, all must be wrong.. But I don't see what logical process determines that there must exist one religion that must be right..

(And QED stands for "left as an exercise to the reader", or more formally, the english translation is "Quite Easily Demonstrated. (it's a latin phrase). Some intelligent people use QED to prove their theorems because they don't know to go on :D).

Wow, who told you that QED means 'left as an exercise to the reader'?

QED stands for the latin quod erat demonstrandum which translates to, roughly, 'that which was to be demonstrated'. Its general usage is following a series of logical or mathematical statements to show that the statement proceding it was what you were trying to prove. Basically, it's an easy way to say that you're finished proving things, and your last statement was the point you were trying to prove.

It's almost the exact opposite to leaving something as an exercise to the reader, as you're effectively saying that you've solidly proved the final statement.

"But Marge, what if we chose the wrong religion, and everytime we go to church God's just getting madder and madder?"

Guys accept it, either there's nothing there, or, if there is some sort of afterlife and God is such a nice entity, so long as you've been a fairly decent person, you'll go to 'heaven'.

I've had a good school friend of mine, who has turned to 'God' tell me to my face that no matter how good a person I am, if I don't confess to his god, I am going to hell. In that case I guess God is well, somewhat of a bureaucrat then because he sticks to black letter law.

In that case, what ever happened to mercy, love and compassion? Must be in short supply. I consider myself a good person, I try to be polite, not kill anyone, give to charity. If someone who is absolutely evil and murders and rapes people only to get into heaven because he confesses, I'll tell God, up front and in person, to shove heaven up his arse. Then I'll proceed to tell him how much of a wanker he is for being hardarse.

Let's simplify matters and say we have two religions, A and B. Both claim that if you're not part of their religion, then you'll go to hell. Since it's more or less impossible to be a member of both religions simultaneously, we can assume upon death that you'll be of one religion or other. Now, if you go to heaven for that religon, the other will have you go to hell, so you end up in hell (and heaven). But, you're still in hell.
Again, Worf, your logic is flawed:

(1) You can't assume upon death that a person is "one or the other"; they could be an athiest.
(2) Each religion has their belief about heaven & hell, but the ultimate standard is the ACTUAL heaven and/or hell, not either religion's beliefs concerning same. If you get to heaven AT ALL, then it don't make a whit of difference if the "other" religion believes you to be in hell. This shoots your above premise, well, "all to hell" (pun intended ;) )

Originally posted by ChrisReid

Where exactly is the logical premise in your thinking that implies one religion must be right at all?... I don't see what logical process determines that there must exist one religion that must be right..
I see your point.

To answer your question, though, I'd say this: The courtroom standard of criminal trials here in the US is that the person must be proven guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt". Since this isn't a criminal matter, I'd say we apply the standard for civil trials, which is (again, here in the US) "a preponderance of the evidence". Simply, I'd say that "a preponderance of the evidence" indicates that it must be so; that there must be an afterlife and thus a heaven & hell. What evidence, you ask?...Simply the fact that every religion (or practically every one that I've ever heard of, anyway) believes this indicates that it must be so.
Originally posted by Redwolf

...Guys accept it, either there's nothing there, or, if there is some sort of afterlife and God is such a nice entity, so long as you've been a fairly decent person, you'll go to 'heaven'.

I've had a good school friend of mine, who has turned to 'God' tell me to my face that no matter how good a person I am, if I don't confess to his god, I am going to hell. In that case I guess God is well, somewhat of a bureaucrat then because he sticks to black letter law.

In that case, what ever happened to mercy, love and compassion? Must be in short supply. I consider myself a good person... If someone who is absolutely evil and murders and rapes people only to get into heaven because he confesses, I'll tell God, up front and in person, to shove heaven up his arse...
(1) Bad logic, dude. If your premise was correct, there wouldn't have been any such thing as "religion" whatsoever. If just being a "fairly decent person" was all that was required, man would not have needed religion. After all, religion is, at its core, man's attempt to reach God. Why bother trying to reach Him unless you somehow know, deep down inside, that something is wrong with you, and simply being "fairly decent" was not enough?...

(2) Your friend was right. The bottom line here is that you must believe in God; after all, you can't confess to someone/something that you don't even believe exists, right?... Then the focus turns to which God is the "right" God to believe in - the Judeo-Christian God, the Muslim god, the Hindu gods, or whichever. Each person must answer that question for themselves, and in turn, answer to God when it's all over for the choice that they've made. As for God being a bureaucrat, it hardly makes you a "bureaucrat" to demand that someone believes you exist to grant them entrance into heaven. If you come knocking on my door and proceed to tell me that you think I'm an illusion, an hallucination you're having, or the bad burrito you had last nite, I'm not gonna invite you in for a cuppa coffee; I'm gonna shake my head and shut the door in your face. I have far more important things to do than have conversations with crazy people.

(3) "mercy, love and compassion" are in plentiful supply. In fact, they are right there in the example you went on to give. They are the operative elements that *allowed* the murderer you spoke of in your example to "get in" to heaven, due to his confession. The simple fact is, there will be plenty of people of people in heaven that we wouldn't expect to see there, and I'm sure there'll be, oh, 1 or 2 people there that would be surprised to see ME get there, for that matter. It sounds like you're not too pleased with the standards that God brings to the table; all I can say is, take a number & stand in line. Most of the world rejects these standards, which is why we ended up with so many religions in the first place. We don't like the truth that's been revealed to us, so we make up our own truth to substitute for it. And you know what? It's amazing how much these made-up 'truths' resemble US... Look at, for example, the Greek & Roman gods. They were venal, petty, vindictive and capricious--just like humanity. The reason so many reject God is that they think they have to be able to fully understand Him. Does it not make sense, though, that a being capable of creating all that ever was, is, or will be is more than a *little bit* beyond the finite capabilities of the human mind to be able to comprehend Him?... That's where faith comes in, mi amigo. We take & evaluate what we DO know of God and trust Him for the rest that we don't understand.

Oh, one more thing: If you insist on telling God off to His face, I'd suggest you do it while you're down here. Many have come to faith starting out by arguing with God. He's big enough to take it from you, and He can show you where you're wrong. Bottom line is, if you wait till after, it'll be too late, and you'll never see His face to "tell Him off".

I think God will decide who goes to heaven, not people discussing religion. It's amazing how men like to discuss the who will go into heaven, or what religion is right, when it's quite obvious only the almighty God knows the answers. I know some religions believe that only their members will go to heaven, and everyone else will go to hell, regardless of their acts and deeds. But I’m a catholic and my religion doesn’t say that. Actually, this debate has been going on for centuries, and I don’t think it a consensus can be reached here.

<paraphrase>It is not our jobs bring people before God. It is our job to arrange the meeting.</paraphrase>

Oh, one more thing: If you insist on telling God off to His face, I'd suggest you do it while you're down here. Many have come to faith starting out by arguing with God. He's big enough to take it from you, and He can show you where you're wrong. Bottom line is, if you wait till after, it'll be too late, and you'll never see His face to "tell Him off".
Your callsign is not a license to proselytise. Feel free to discuss religion if you must, but I won't tolerate any of this conversion stuff.

Originally posted by Quarto
Your callsign is not a license to proselytise. Feel free to discuss religion if you must, but I won't tolerate any of this conversion stuff.
From "dictionary.com":
pros·e·ly·tize P Pronunciation Key (prs-l-tz)
v. pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es
v. intr.
To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

v. tr.
To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

I wasn't proselytizing; in fact, I made a conscious effort to stay away from promoting any particular religion. The passage of mine you quoted was just a way of advising Worf to do whatever "conversationing" he would do with God HERE, since (as pretty much all religions I know of state) wherever you "go" after death is a matter that is largely dictated by what you do/which way you "decide" while you're here planetside. After that, it's "game over".

Originally posted by T8H3X11
Your hypothesis is correct but, God's decision is already made, it says in John 3:3, " Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus), "Verily, verily I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

To begin with, the apostles were in doubt if only Jews could be saved, or pagan converts. Guess what, Christians of Jewish descent are pretty rare, the entire western world are made of pagans who converted - and when it comes to Anglo-Saxons, barbarians who were converted. People who made human sacrifices and worshipped multiple gods and demons, that were later converted by the Roman Catholic Church, in some part by force.

A good number of Jesus original followers, people who knew more about him than any of us ever will, were in doubt if any non-Jew (including the pagan European barbarians) could be saved at all. How's that to begin opening your mind.

The idea that a good person will go to hell because they are not Christian is an interpretation of the Bible, but not the catholic one. The very idea that someone else other then the Sacred Roman Catholic Church can have a valid interpretation of the Bible is very debatable. But that's how I see it, and I'm not going to impose my faith into you.

So to put it straight, that is YOUR interpretation of the Bible. A good number of exegetes and theologians, including protestant, roman catholic, orthodox catholic, disagree with this interpretation.

Now some people even say that Catholics will go to hell because they are not "truly" Christians, or something. But if that's so crazy there's no point in debating it.

It’s amusing, however, that one of the Protestants original complaint was that Roman Catholic Church supposedly claimed to "own" the truth, and didn't accept any other interpretation of the Bible. Now, some of those protestant Christians claim that theirs is the only possible interpretation of the Bible, that they own the absolute truth.

About Preacher, why can’t he preach (regardless of what he was doing it or not)? Is it against forum rules? I think people have the right to speak their mind.

Originally posted by Ghost

...You lied, you will burn baby.
D'oh!... ;)

BTW, Delance: Jewish Christians are certainly in the minority, no doubt. These days they're usually known as Messianic Christians, though oft referring to themselves as "fulfilled Jews". I've known a couple of 'em over the years.

But remember, much of the early church were just that: Jews who came to believe in Yeshua (Jesus) as meschiach (sp?); that is, Messiah. Gentiles didn't start to believe in great numbers until some time later.

One last factoid: Jesus was a Jew (obvious, I know, but it's amazing how many folks tend to forget that...).

And one question: I was brought up Catholic, and seem to recall that the party line from Rome WAS that if you're not Catholic, you're toast. When did they change that position?... and who, in their current view, is now, "eligible" for heaven, besides Catholics?... :confused:

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Quite humorous.

Allright, let's take Chris Reid for example. His family is from Japan. I really don't want to use him as an example, but just as an excuse to talk about Japan and use the expression "Portuguese Empire".

Japan came in contact to Christianity circa 1500, by Portuguese missionaries, in Caravels from the Portuguese empire. There was a lot of cultural exchange, and some Portuguese words come from the Japanese, and vice versa.

Example:
Japanese Arigato and Portuguese Obrigado.
Portuguese Babaca and Japanese Baka.

Anyway, later the missionaries were thrown off and all that. But some Catholics remained. There are some Catholics cities in Japan, and I think Nagasaki was one of them. IIRC, there was even a cathedral there, close to the bomb spot. Only the bells remained.

My point? Some Japanese are Catholics, but most aren't. Does this means the Catholic Church says all the others are going to hell? Of course not.

These days they're usually known as Messianic Christians, though oft referring to themselves as "fulfilled Jews". I've known a couple of 'em over the years.

Are those recent jews who converted? Because a lot of the original jews that composed the Christian population were just integrated into the growing catholic church.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that "non-Christians are going to hell" is but one interpretation of the Bible. Not even a majoritary one amongst Christians.

Originally posted by Delance
Are those recent jews who converted?

Yeah, that *movement* was created like 20 or 30 years ago, AFAIK.
Messianic Jews,reborn jews, and someother names that i don´t know.
Their main goal is to attract other jews to their cult or movement.
They came to Buenos Aires like a year or 2 years ago, there were many advices from the national jew asociation about them and their festivals, using jew-israelis symbols and other things.

Preacher:

You got the impression wrong. This is a non-catholic interpretation of the Bible, the Church doesn’t accept it. It is one of the major sources of debate between Catholic and Protestant theologians those days. Actually, there is a desire between some protestant churches and the Catholic Church to re-approximate, and this is one of the major divergences.

Catholics says that if the person is good, he or she is going to heaven.

Some protestants says this is a lie that comes straights from the devil. Supposedly, all christians, including evil ones, goes to heaven, and everyone else goes to hell regardless of their lives. There's no judgment at all in judment day, it's a matter of formality.

Originally posted by Ghost
Yeah, that *movement* was created like 20 or 30 years ago, AFAIK.
Messianic Jews,reborn jews, and someother names that i don´t know.
Their main goal is to attract other jews to their cult or movement.
They came to Buenos Aires like a year or 2 years ago, there were many advices from the national jew asociation about them and their festivals, using jew-israelis symbols and other things.

Then Preacher was way off. I was talking about the original followers of Jesus, back in the early days of Christianity. Those are Jews that recently converted. There are other Jews that believe in Jesus, in varying degrees, that doesn’t belong to this group.

I might me mistaken, but doesn't this group also share the interpretation of the Bible that we are talking about? I remember watching a Larry King interview on this on CNN, and there was a rabine complaining that they shouldn't use jew symbols to tell all jews except them would go to hell, or something. (I might be wrong about this, it was a while ago).

Back