and again with the Priv 1 Sound problem (sorry)

[t4e]Mac

Spaceman
Dear Collective,

I've searched here and on usenet, I've tried everything I've seen suggested, and still...no sounds at all from Priv 1. :( Does anyone have Priv 1 sound working on an MX300? Please toss out any suggestions and thanks in advance. Game runs fine, but it is soundless. Sys info, config and autoexec are below.

Celery 300A (not overclocked when running Priv1)
128MB RAM
Monster II MX300
Voodoo III
Win98/NT 4.0 dual boot
Priv 1 CD copied to C:\Privater and installed.
For Priv 1, Booting Win98 DOS from a:\

CONFIG.SYS =================================
DEVICE=D:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=D:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 I=B000-B7FF
DOS=UMB
DOS=HIGH
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
SHELL=D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM D:\WINDOWS /P
DEVICEHIGH = C:\USDIDE.SYS /D:CD003

AUTOEXEC (I know, I could lose the CD Driver, but I haven't)
path=d:\windows\command
lh c:\mscdex /V /D:CD003 /M:10
SET BLASTER=a220 I5 D1 T4
SET WINBOOTDIR=D:\WINDOWS
lh D:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM

In Win98, Control Panel/System/Device Manager/SoundVideo etc/Vortex au8830 sound blaster pro emulation it says:
IO Range 0220-022F
IRQ 5
DMA 1
IO Range 0338-038B (why is this shown twice?)

You have a sound chip, not a sound card. Get a SB16 card and than you can get sound in dos. DOS game sound on these systems only work in a DOS window.

I am so confused...

A sound chip? I installed a whole card! :D I take this to mean that due to how the MX300 works, it cannot be used by DOS from a boot disk, only from a W98 DOS window? So what is the AU30DOS.COM driver good for? And how do I run P1 from a DOS window? If I go to Start/Programs/MSDOS, and run Priv, I get:

Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM".

I'm not sure what to do with that error message, is this fixable?

Thank you for your help and patience,
[t4e]Mac
(It's not that I'm dense, we DBA's just don't have to deal much with sound cards in Oracle...)

Sorry this driver is also used for sound chips. I check diamond web site and found next to nothing on DOS setting. Did a search on yahoo and also found next to nothing on DOS setting. Outside of making sure you choose SB Pro went you configure the sound in P1 I really have know other suggestions.

You can try making these changes:

--------config.sys------

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35

-------autoexec.bat-----]
SET PATH=D:\WINDOWS;D:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

It looks like Diamond know longer makes sound cards. The MX300 and MX400 may have been their last cards.

Just wanted to ask you if you did type "install" from within the privater directory to configure P1's sound settings?

Yep, I did

I've done the install a few times, matching up the P1 settings with the SET BLASTER settings and also with the W98 settings (at the bottom of my first post) - any idea why there are 2 IO ranges in W98? I'll try the changes you suggested and let you know. Thanks!

Re: Yep, I did

Originally posted by [t4e]Mac
...any idea why there are 2 IO ranges in W98?
I believe one is used for standard IO for sound (mine is base 220), and the other is used for the MIDI output port (doubles as a joystick port on my card and is base 330 IIRC).

Back