An update on my WC3 joystick problem...

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I'm starting a new thread in the hopes that people would see it here, instead of reading that I "solved" it in the other one.

Yes, I'm having the same problems. Only I'm awake now, and have tested where in the game the joystick is acting up. Also, now that I am awake, I can remember that I haven't played WC3 since I installed this new sound card a few days ago.

When pressing ALT+J, the joystick calibrates cleanly, but not 100% clean, nor 100% of the time. It calibrates badly in the CONTROLS area of the main panels. When it tells me to move the joystick to the lower right, the values are something like 10000,50000 or something like that... but it jumps around a LOT between those values and the normal ones.

In flight mode, the joystick works fine, and calibrates fine in all cases using ALT+O.

Inside the Victory, etc., the cursor jerks and moves about, making it difficult to make choices during movies. When I try to select the bottom option, the joystick (I'm assuming) moves it to the top option. This is the only time, other than the calibration, that the joystick acts up. I have no clue what the problem could be.

Here are the solutions I've tried, all with no effect:

- Calibrated in Windows, WC3 Installation, and different spots in the game itself.
- Tried changing Sound card IRQ's, and DMA's.
- I thought it might be an IRQ conflict between the two sound devices I use in the game (MPU-401 for music, and SB16 for digital sound), so I changed the music and sound settings to SB16 to no avail.
- Tested in WC4, it works perfectly. Also tested it in other games, it worked fine.
- Tried with Poll Interrupts enabled and disabled. (Incidentally, I have to keep them disabled to get Final Fantasy VII to work correctly.)
- Reinstalled the new sound card drivers.
- Reinstalled DirectX (Why, I don't know).
- Removed the joystick from the Device Manager. Restarted, and the joystick drivers were reinstalled. Still nothing.

Here's what I'm going to try:

- Removing all references to the card from the autoexec.bat and dosstart.bat files (It doesn't work in pure DOS anyways - the error "Config file incomplete" appears, and the word "WaveVol" appears on the next line).

That's all I can think of for that. I'm sort of lazy right now, so I'll post my AUTOEXEC.BAT, DOSSTART.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files upon request. Otherwise, they're in the other post I made about my joystick trouble.

Again, thanks to anyone who might be able to help me.

Alright, I'll give them a try... I'd imagine they don't do anything to my actual joystick drivers... thanks for the help. :)

Back