An impossible sighting

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
So a week ago I was on the beach, when I saw an airplane go by high overhead. It looked unusual, so I took out my binoculars to take a closer look...

All i can say is that the prop was in the rear, it had 4 wings, two small in the front, two large near the prop. I've never seen anything like this before. It was painted light gray and looked almost exactly like a kyushu j7w1 shinden.

Before anyone says anything, I am fully aware that there is no chance in hell that this is an original Shinden given that only two prototypes were ever made, one of which now resides in the Air and Space museum here in the US.

So the question is... does anyone have any idea what it may have been? Is anyone aware of any possible commercial look-a-likes?

Attachments

• MQ-9_Reaper_CBP.jpg
    MQ-9_Reaper_CBP.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 155
  • usaf_mq-9_reaper_with_weapons.jpg
    usaf_mq-9_reaper_with_weapons.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 158
Burt Rutan sold a couple of canard-pusher prop kit designs, though its name escapes me now.

Though that raises the question of where was the beach frosty was relaxing on!

Aren't there quite a few military industries based in Massachusetts? Raytheon, for one, headquartered in Waltham not far from where he lives (and I used to live). I don't keep abreast of drone news, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some prototype or trial being carried out for coast guard duties, for instance.

I believe Massachusetts has been using armed drones to intercept rogue shipments of deady Lite-Brites.

Unusual, but not insane-o-rare. I see one fly over about once a month (then again, I work outside for 5 hrs/day, so I do look at the sky a lot). Definately sounds like a canard or other push-prop type aircraft. Doubt they fly drones around the suburbs...

I believe Massachusetts has been using armed drones to intercept rogue shipments of deady Lite-Brites.

They've been trying to break up that sleeper cell for years. There was a break in the case a few years ago but the suspect's lights went out before he could talk.

Yeah but they pretty much put them out of buisness in the late 90s... shhhh! ;)

Well two small wings in front and bigger ones in the back rules out the Reaper.

Maybe this one, which might be the one BobMcDob hat in mind:
http://stargazer2006.online.fr/aircraft/microlight.htm

There are more, maybe I'll post a few more pictures later
http://www.canardaviation.com/

These look more like what we saw... they seriously looked like a Shinden with the angled rear wings, so i don't think it was a drone.

Aren't there quite a few military industries based in Massachusetts? Raytheon, for one, headquartered in Waltham not far from where he lives (and I used to live). I don't keep abreast of drone news, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some prototype or trial being carried out for coast guard duties, for instance.

Yes and the old Otis airforce base, which is for the most part retired.

Though that raises the question of where was the beach frosty was relaxing on!

Just outside of New Seabury, a little known private community called Popponesset.

Back