An Appeal to the Wing Commander Community

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
In the last few weeks several posts have been made by several members of the Wing Commander Community regarding plans for the start up of their own Wing Commander RPG's. Plans have been in the works now by myself (Sangy) and another prominent member of the WCGC Confederation Team (Expendable). Between the two of us we have several years worth of Role-Play participation in all kinds of differant form, from D6 systems to D20, to online chat rooms, to Message Board RPs. In addition, Slawter from the boards has pledged his participation and commitment to this project, rather then to pursue his own Message Board RP.

With our experiances at WCGC we have accumulated a list of all the things we would like to see done and how they should be done correctly in a Wing Commander board based RP. Now we are interested in developing this project into a working Role-Play system so that you, the Wing Commander fan can take his turn to become Admiral Tolwyn, defeating the Kilrathi above Earth, Jason Bondarevsky, sneaking behind Enemy Lines, and William Bainbridge, Defeating the bulk of the Kilrathi fleet at Vukar Tag.

This RP plans to be completely canon, and take place sometime around the WCII Era, that is around the year 2657. Numerous ships and postings will be available for the RP, including politicol offices and command positions. At some point we would like to expand the RP beyond simply the fleet and include the differant branches into the RP. The RP as it stands will be ship-to-ship combat based, including Fleets and Battlegroups, rather then a first person fighter-to-fighter kind of RP.

The problem as it stands now is that this would be a serious committment on my part and the part of my limited staff. We would require hosting, development and monitoring of both the forums the game and a website as a way to convey information.

Understand that this is not a plea for anything, I will happily supply both time and funding for this project, so long as I know that people are interested in it. What we are merely asking is that you post your support for this project, and your interest. Enough interest, enough support, and we will commit to it further. Please try to understand our reluctance to undertake this task without the knowledge that the Wing Commander community as a whole would like to see us suceed.

-Sangy, Expendable, and Slawter

At the moment a number of our ideas are only in the preliminary stages. As mentioned in the post our little Alliance is reluctant to take the plunge and move forward until the actual implmentation of our ideas until we know weather we have the support in the Wing Commander community to make our idea possible....that's what we're waiting for. People who are interested to tell us that, so that we can keep the idea moving.

So if you're interested, reply, and say so. That's what will keep it happening and moving, and keep our little fragile alliance together...

You know, interestingly enough, before I started at WCGC I had never done a message board style RP before either, but if you speak with the other members who particiapted there, and off the top of my head I can't recall anyone other then Expenedable (There were more, I just don't know who they were here) I picked it up rather quickly.

One of the things we're currently developing is a "Guide to New Commanders" which is designed to help you understand how to play, how to play properly, and what the situation in the RP is.

Our stress has been on keeping it short, so that you're not bogged down with pages and pages of reading material before you're prepared to play the game.

Jason_Ryock said:
The problem as it stands now is that this would be a serious committment on my part and the part of my limited staff. We would require hosting, development and monitoring of both the forums the game and a website as a way to convey information. Understand that this is not a plea for anything, I will happily supply both time and funding for this project, so long as I know that people are interested in it.

This is a key problem I see with a whole lot of fan projects. A great many ask for help and ask for interest, but get neither so end up dying away. If a group makes something good, the interest will follow. And because there have been so many projects who have appealed for aid and then gone nowhere, nobody will provide serious help until a group has already established itself as a driving force on its own. If you're not willing to invest serious amounts of time until there's a show of interest, you're not going to get that interest.

Ask yourself this question: how does the RPG that you are working is better then the ones that already exist or the ones that have existed and already died? What is different from them, and why do people want to check yours out when they could check the others?

Main point: you need something that stands out.

Your point, and ChrisReids are both well seen. Currently were working on seeing what we can do with our limited time, though our conflicting scheludes is making it difficult...

Live action, eh? We could have the really tall folks dress up as Kilrathi... but I don't want foam weapons... give us tranquilizers. :D (hard to LARP with a space-flight sim... perhaps particle-board placed over car bodies?)

Back