Amiga CD32 Bundle Found With Wing Commander (March 28, 2018)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
It's not every day you come across a new piece of early '90s Wing Commander art, but last Tuesday was one of those days for LOAF! He found a tiny thumbnail of the Amiga CD32 box, which was half dominated by familiar but stylized WC scenes. The CD32 was a computer/console hybrid, and the set here included the Amiga version of WC1 on CD. Some deep digging led to a higher res version, but it was faded and blurry. Tim finally came to the rescue and provided a crisp bold copy of the cover art, so now you can take a good look for yourself. Very cool!

Here's a higher resolution shot of it! I'm so happy finding Wing Commander artwork I've never seen.

--
Original update published on March 28, 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
Credit to Music Guru for finding the initial thumbnail!

We were researching how the Amiga CD32 version of Wing Commander was originally sold. It shows up online frequently, a disc in a jewel case that has Wing Commander and Dangerous Streets on it.

I had known that it was a 'pack in' for the CD32 console (similar to Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt coming with a Nintendo) but I wasn't familiar enough with Amiga history to know more--did it come with every console? Some particular bundle? As some sort of addon? (All I knew was that it was only for PAL units; I have an NTSC CD32 which didn't come with it.)

What we learned was that it came with the pictured "Dangerous Streets" bundle, which was an earlier release of the console. Several other bundles followed it. (Retailers would also later sell leftover stock produced for that bundle, either as a bonus for ordering another bundle or as a discounted OEM product.)

If anyone out there has one for sale, I'd LOVE to add one to the Wing Commander archive. Hit me up!

Back