Am I bad or is the game just hard?

Zeether

Captain
I was playing Standoff a while back and even on the lowest difficulty setting it felt like I was getting my butt kicked from here to Sunday. In the first mission I was basically losing 2 armor quadrants all the time and it felt like I was just getting overwhelmed. I thought the AI was supposed to be less accurate but I guess not? Do I just suck?

So it's counterintuitive, but the difficulty setting in WC:SO (and all it's derived games, including Standoff) affects the skill of both the enemies **and your wingmen**. It's actually easier on Hard or Nightmare because your wingmen skills also improve and the Confed ships are generally tougher then their Kilrathi equivalents. That might help you out.

No. And while, the aforementioned difficulty thing is true, its actual effect greatly varies depending on scenario since the enemy AI is better too.
It is certainly the most fun at Hard though, at least from my point of view. If it is harder than a higher or lower setting is hard to say.

Standoff is a difficult game, at least compared to most other WC games. As with many fan games, balancing is made by people who play the game a lot and, in contrast to a professional production, no external testing groups with fewer experience exist to "reign it in". If that is a good or bad thing is a matter of perspective.
Personally, I think the assault on the pirate asteroid base during the prologue is actually the hardest part of the entire game, at least if you want the mission to go perfectly. Hence, if you get stuck there, you might want to skip ahead of the main campaign.

Let's be fair though. Standoff IS hard. it's fun, but it's not easy. You can beat it, in fact, maybe check out let's plays. But expect it to be made for people that regularly beat Kurasawa 2.

I was playing Standoff a while back and even on the lowest difficulty setting it felt like I was getting my butt kicked from here to Sunday. In the first mission I was basically losing 2 armor quadrants all the time and it felt like I was just getting overwhelmed. I thought the AI was supposed to be less accurate but I guess not? Do I just suck?
The Stiletto's armor is paper thin. It only takes one or two Particle Cannon hit's from a Talon to lose your shields and a good chunk of armor. It has a rather large silhouette making it easier to hit then the Ferret or Epee.

Back