Alternate Weapons Loadouts

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
Is it possible to force a ship use in the simulator, so that you could fly the WW version of the Vampire instead of the standard?

If it's not possible in the simulator, do you have to overwrite a game mission file to do it?

To lazy to edit, is there anywhere to look at sample mission code? I work better when I reverse engineer, those tutorials are damned confusing and leave to much out, they over simplify everything.

I want to make missions more complicated then that. Where do I look?

You can change the loadout of ships in the sim by altering the ship files. If you don't want to alter the ship files, you can also alter the EXE to use different ship files. To do this, look up my EXE editing tutorial on KillerWave's page.

There isn't very much source code available out there. One of these days, we might put up the UE mission source code up, I guess.

All right...then is it possible to make a new ship, say the vampireWW.iff that has the wild weasel loadout instead, so that I have both options?

To hex edit, you use any program capable of hex editing :p. Search for 'hex editor' on Google, and you'll find a whole bunch of them.

As for your previous question, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If you mean that you would like to edit/create a ship file and also edit the EXE to use this ship file, then yes, you can do that.

If it's not there, you need to extract it from data.tre. There should be a whole bunch of them.

I screwed up my game twice (and re-installed) trying to do what you suggested.

(Please don't take this the wrong way, I am in no way angry or upset over this, I actually don't mind re-installing the game again, this is after all for my own personal pleasure and it's worth all the little steps I'm going through to enjoy it, besides which I am extremly greatful for your help).

The fact of the matter is that I don't know jack about HEX editing. I have a hex editor, I opened it up and looked at the .exe file but I couldn't figure out what I was seeing or doing at all...it just confused me. Any help on that?

On a side note, I DLed the Ship editor that Thomas Bruckners site has and extracted it, it provides seperate IFF files for all the ships (and their potential loadouts) in the game.

The problem I'm having (as I see it) is that when the Simulator loads up the choices listed are only the Default models, and somehow I need to change what comes up. The Hex Editing Tutoiral at Killerwaves site lists 0E7E44 as the location for the sim ships displayed. When I load up the EXE I get a mess of numbers and a column of jumbled text down the side...I don't know what to edit and change at all...maybe I'm just stupid, but this all seems really confusing...

However, I am rather determined to learn this and would like to know how, if someone can help me.

I suppose I must have forgotten to mention the most important rule of hex-editing in that tutorial - always make a backup copy of the file you're editing. That way, if you screw up, you can just replace the screwed up file with the backup.

When you load up a file in a hex editor, it should have your position within the file displayed somewhere on the screen. That's what 0E7E44 refers to. You'll know when you find the right place - you'll see a list of all the ships used in the sim (note: this includes all the ships activated using the alswantsmoreships code), followed by a list of the ships used in campaign missions.

I said you Quarto... we need a complete, structured and strongest site for help to programmers, you only can write your knowleges and I'll help you with site structure contributing me too.
I know, I know, you say "only 2 interest for year"... but, maybe we can to do the "site of the year" to 2004. :)
We need a restailling for hcl, thomas and tutotials, all in one. :)

Don't forget my questions at the standoff members group!, this have a delay of 5 hours so so (shit).

Yeah, but the problem remains that I don't have the time for it. Tutorials don't write themselves :p.

Okay...I have my alternate ship file (in IFF format)...I have the Hex Editor...how do I add my ship into the game as a SEPERATE ship, rather then writing over the original?

Yeah, neither of us has time for writing tutorials, because when we get more free time, we need to use it to finish Standoff - I think you too have noticed this by now, Tango :p

Jason_Ryock said:
Okay...I have my alternate ship file (in IFF format)...I have the Hex Editor...how do I add my ship into the game as a SEPERATE ship, rather then writing over the original?
Well, once you've found the right place in the EXE file, look up the specific ship that you want to replace, and overwrite its name in the EXE with whatever you want to use (note that the ship file you put in can be shorter in name than whatever was there before, but not longer). Then you just need to create this ship file.

If that's the ship you'd like replaced, then yes. Keep in mind though, this will not change which mesh is shown in the sim, so don't be surprised when you find the original ship still being shown.

Okay, question then:

Is it possible to add in an entirely new ship to the game accessible through the simulator and campaign mode both (without having to use a cheat)?

Yes, if you make your own campaign :).

Alternatively, you can make a new ship but rather than giving it a new name, overwrite an existing ship name, so that the game uses it instead of the original ship.

Back