C:
cd privater

config.sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

I don't have mem problems, but I get a fatal error.
Error code D002-FFFF.

The odd thing is that ONCE the program got as far as calibrating the joystick before crapping out. This only happened once.

On a side note, I noticed from monkeying around is that you can specify a different autoexec.bat and config.sys file in the advanced properties of the shortcut to the MSDOS prompt. I'm running Windows 98.

Thanks in advance in help in running one of my favorite games of all time. I'm using the diskette version, so I don't need the CD-ROM drivers.

The game only needs to calibrate the joystick once; after that, it stores the calibration data in a file. That would be why you've only seen the calibration routine once.

Your config files look fine; when you were installing the game, you should have chosen these settings:

Digital effects: Sound Blaster Pro

I/O: 240h
IRQ: 5
DMA: 1

MIDI: Sound Blaster / Adlib

Thanks!

Thank you, Stinger! That was the problem. Duh! - I used to know this crap like the back of my hand, too. Now I feel dumb.

I have the screeching problem I saw in other posts, but I'll read them before bugging you again.

After flying a bit (took out a couple retros - they really tick me off), the game crashed. It told me to add a D=64 parameter to the emm386 line for DMA access. I'll try that before bugging folks, just passing info.

Next on my agenda (after I get it going at 100%) is to see if I can get a shortcut straight to the game on my desktop :). I'll let you know if it can be done.

Again, thanks a bunch! I owe ya.

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by Easy Money
Thank you, Stinger! That was the problem. Duh! - I used to know this crap like the back of my hand, too. Now I feel dumb.

I have the screeching problem I saw in other posts, but I'll read them before bugging you again.

After flying a bit (took out a couple retros - they really tick me off), the game crashed. It told me to add a D=64 parameter to the emm386 line for DMA access. I'll try that before bugging folks, just passing info.

Next on my agenda (after I get it going at 100%) is to see if I can get a shortcut straight to the game on my desktop :). I'll let you know if it can be done.

Again, thanks a bunch! I owe ya.

What do you mean adding "D=64 parameter to the emm386 line for DMA access." What is this?

John,

That was an error message that I recieved. It told me that there was insufficient DMA access or some such. I added the parameter (whatever it's really for) and it runs fine, except for sound. I'm going to try various configuration options to see if I can get that bug out.

sound

i've also noticed some of this about sound. before my game stopped working on my computer (that's ok everyone, i'd like to get it to work, but i don't have any drivers that i know of for my devices, and i have no listed autoexec and config files, which is weird. i generally assume my cheap old computer is severally f***** up) i noticed that i could only run one sound option at a time (either music or voices of people). i thought it was weird, and i thought (obviously) it had something to do w/ memory, but now the method i ran it by (copying the .tre files onto the hard drive) doesn't work anymore. if you wanna look at the steps i follow, go to http://www.angelfire.com/yt/privateer . and if you notice any errors in it, tell me, as it's my site. thanks.

EM, I'm using a sound card based on the same chip as the one you use; I'll try fiddling around with Privateer once I get back to my college dorm room and see if I get the same trouble.

Nova, I can't access your page.

Edit: Never mind, found your other thread.

[Edited by Stinger on 04-14-2001 at 19:23]

Back