Alpha Test Game 7

2EP: Out of curiosity, did you register me giving Beta's orders to tail Left Claw twice? The number of remaining transmissions as of this post is two, the number of ships still expecting orders is three, which is why I ask.

I though that Pounce was "gone gone gone baby gone". At speed 4 (~400kps) that sounds pretty reasonable. I did blew myself more than a couple of time going that speed into a (WC) asteroid field. I know that all this work is specifically for WCTO, but it would be extra super if it was a little more "open". Like, possible port to Hard Vacuum, Full Thrust or any other table top space system. Maybe when it's done, right? Cheers,

I though that Pounce was "gone gone gone baby gone". At speed 4 (~400kps) that sounds pretty reasonable. I did blew myself more than a couple of time going that speed into a (WC) asteroid field. I know that all this work is specifically for WCTO, but it would be extra super if it was a little more "open". Like, possible port to Hard Vacuum, Full Thrust or any other table top space system. Maybe when it's done, right? Cheers,
Well the asteroid collision damage was broken. I've just fixed it.

I had to refactor the entire damage-dealing path in the code, splitting it into a version for weapon-based damage and straight number damage. This means that, should I have made a mistake, all damage sources could now be broken. (More likely, we see everything still working, and the asteroid fields now doing damage). I suspect this may have inadvertently also fixed the flak fields, but I'm not sure.

2EP: Out of curiosity, did you register me giving Beta's orders to tail Left Claw twice? The number of remaining transmissions as of this post is two, the number of ships still expecting orders is three, which is why I ask.

Yeah, there was definitely some weirdness here. I'm at a loss for what happened; for now, I'm going to leave it alone and hope it was a fluke, given I just made a bunch of code changes on the other things.

3 CP: Put my orders in at 10:50 PM CDT. Getting these messages at 10:55 CDT; still getting them at 11:05 CDT:

Notice: Undefined index: 6448 in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/move_phase_engine.php on line 47
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/move_phase_engine.php on line 51
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/move_phase_engine.php on line 51
Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::move() in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/move_phase_engine.php on line 105

That fatal error message looks a tad on the serious side...like the game can't find one of its modules.

3 CP: Put my orders in at 10:50 PM CDT. Getting these messages at 10:55 CDT; still getting them at 11:05 CDT:

Notice: Undefined index: 6448 in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/move_phase_engine.php on line 47
Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::move() in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/move_phase_engine.php on line 105

That fatal error message looks a tad on the serious side...like the game can't find one of its modules.
Yeah, the fatal error kept it down, but the real problem was the first line. If it can't find the index, that means it can't find the ship, without the ship, there is no class to initialize, and without the class, the ship movement function is out of context.

This bug is related to the weirdness that happened last turn with the 'orders remaining'. After the game already had moved on, I tried submitting my orders anyway, and they somehow pushed my 2EP orders into my 3MP phase for Scratch.... but it also let me put in some legit 3MP orders too. Each ship is instantiated uniquely for each turn and each phase, so when it tried to run orders on the 2EP Scratch, it could not find it in the context of the 3MP turn/phase, and had no idea from our perspective it was the same as the 3MP Scratch.

I manually deleted the erroneous order from the database, but without knowing what went wrong last turn, I can't promise it won't happen again.

edit: looks like we've got new problems for turn 3CP... looking into it.... fixed. Turn turn wasn't displaying because 1 explosion thought it was still a ship. A consequence of some lazy coding on my part. I built the movement phase engine first, and apparently I had assumed that all ships were forever ships, forgetting they can take damage during this phase. Fixed.

Also: Gamma: did you really fly through 3 asteroid fields?

3CP: Looks like Gamma was checked three times for asteroid collisions...and Delta was checked once while they were leaving the field. Same goes for Pounce. Probably Gamma was checked once as he was leaving the field. Still don't know why he got checked three times; definitely dead over it, though.

Flew Alpha through flak once again without being checked; looks like whatever alterations were made for the 'roids did not fix the flak problem.

By my understanding of the rules, Gamma left 1 asteroid field, and entered 1 more, so he should have been checked twice. The third check is clearly an error. I'll also have to look into the flak field error. I'll try to get to both issues sometime in the next 6-8 hours, but it won't be for at least 2-3.

Ah. You're right...a check is supposed to be made for leaving, entering and moving through a field. So the others were done correctly.

Noted something when I put in my orders for Beta. Though the game registered the receipt of transmission (moving the number of remaining transmissions to three), Beta still appeared on the list of craft that the game was waiting on. It was only after I logged out and reloaded the game that Beta was moved off that list. I wonder if that's what happened in Turn 2, if I accidentally reissued orders; I'll look to see if it happens again in the next phase. This is something that the game has not been doing up to this point.

Just ordered Pounce to fire at Delta (out of range and with 2 asteroids in direct line of sight). Interesting, because the first time I opened the order menu, the only option was Snarl for non-reserved fire shots. The second time the option to fire opened with all objects in the map. I chose Delta, 'cause it's in direct line, but out of LOS.

Cheers,

Just ordered Pounce to fire at Delta (out of range and with 2 asteroids in direct line of sight). Interesting, because the first time I opened the order menu, the only option was Snarl for non-reserved fire shots. The second time the option to fire opened with all objects in the map. I chose Delta, 'cause it's in direct line, but out of LOS.

Cheers,
I've noticed that when you 'reopen' the orders window, it acts odd too. Some of this is probably because of the changes I had to make to get the flak fire to work. I haven't found a good work-around yet. I'll see if I can deal with it.

I can tell you right now that if you were able to order a shot on a target, it'll go through. The game blindly trusts that the orders window is accurate; once you give it a target halfway across the map, it'll magically hit it.
Noted something when I put in my orders for Beta. Though the game registered the receipt of transmission (moving the number of remaining transmissions to three), Beta still appeared on the list of craft that the game was waiting on. It was only after I logged out and reloaded the game that Beta was moved off that list. I wonder if that's what happened in Turn 2, if I accidentally reissued orders; I'll look to see if it happens again in the next phase. This is something that the game has not been doing up to this point.
That is troublesome. We'll have to keep watching for this, see if we can find a pattern. Perhaps it is also related to the changes to the orders window. Did you close/reopen before actually sending in the order?

Ah. You're right...a check is supposed to be made for leaving, entering and moving through a field. So the others were done correctly.
But Gamma still shouldn't have been hit thrice. Gonna look into it now (finally) along with the flak. I'll hit both of those for sure right now, I'm not sure I want to dive into the order window weirdness, since that's a lot deeper and a lot more annoying to debug.

I found the problem with the Gamma triple-hit. On squares where a 'turn' occurs (like left-right turn, not game turn), it checks when they enter the square and leave it. Because Gamma was banking, it ended up that the game considered the asteroid a 'turn' square.

I've fixed this so that I check the very first square before we start moving, and then check squares we move INTO only for the rest of the movement. This is a change from 'check where I am, now move and check each square' the way the algorithm had been written. Gamma, in simulation, now only hit two asteroids, and happened to survive. I won't rollback the turn though, for simplicity.

I need to switch back to another project for a bit, then I'll come back to this and see if I can debug the Flak fire issue. My current simulated processing of turn 3MP shows no one flying through flak, which is apparently wrong, since Alpha was supposed to fly through one.

Okay, I found one problem with flak fire, hopefully the only one, but we won't know yet.

Basically, when the flak guns fired off flak, it wasn't flagging them as a collidable entity. I've theoretically fixed that, but we'll need to wait on new flak bursts to be flagged correctly to know for sure.

Cheers,
Okay, I think I've got a fix in place for this issue, but I'll need it to be tested. I don't know if this is at all related to the other order window weirdness (of double submitting orders), but I suspect it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I found one issue with flak already. I just fired the flak directly on a ship for the first time; in theory upon arrival on the ship, it is supposed to try and do damage, I believe (Ironduke correct me if I misunderstood). Clearly it didn't do that, or at least didn't report on it.

Now we just need to see if it is actually collidable this time. Looking at the turn database, the 'new' flak definitely got set to collidable, but it could at this point run into any/all of the same problems we just had with asteroids.

3EP: Game thinks Beta needs to do something, but it's giving me no options in the orders window. I actually think that's correct, but...

3EP: Game thinks Beta needs to do something, but it's giving me no options in the orders window. I actually think that's correct, but...
It may or may not be correct. Skanks just reported the same thing, and I just witnessed it on Scratch. When you have no orders, the orders window usually has text that says something like "You have no orders". Instead they are coming up 100% blank. I need to figure out why. I also don't yet know if this is an EP-only bug, or one that affects all phases. I was doing my work earlier primarily on the combat phase, and I thought I had it working. Meanwhile both games are now seeing the same issue, and both are on the EP, so I'm suspecting that it is at least functioning properly in CP, but perhaps not in EP (or MP?). More as it develops.

More info if it helps: trying to submit an [empty] order with Delta returned a popup box with "Php Error: use Firebug to analyze. Contact Avacar to recreate this message"

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Issue is fixed now, and should be isolated to EP anyway. Feel free to submit your orders. I've reset the 'orders remaining' counters to be functionally matching the correct value again.

Back