All please read!

Originally posted by Manjana
And you now make your Abi? Didn't know that...I still have 2 years...good luck. I will think of you when the others at my school do. Which subjects did you choose?

Thanks. I have Latin and "Gemeinschaftskunde" as Leistungskurse and I will be tested in English and Chemistry.

Originally posted by mpanty

PLEASE LET A MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PEOPLE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION!!

How about the rest? And if anyone has more details about Germany or America, don't hesitate to post... :)

Par coincidence I have some further details about the Germany system. ;) As you may know if you want your "Abitur" you have to go for 13 years to school (you can leave after 9 years but then you have to do an apprenticehship and to visit a so called "Berufsschule". In the first 10-11 years you get the marks Manjana mentioned, 1-6 (1 being the best and 6 the worst, although later on you can get N/A, or n/f in German which is even worse because it means that you did not visit this subject for more than half of the time). Starting with the 11th year in school (in my case, this may vary) you get "points" from 0-15. 15 points is best, 0 worst.

Originally posted by Meson
Or go into R&D as a civilian scientist, and et the best of both worlds. :)

What is R&D?
BTW (I'm not so familiar with chat abbreviations, but I think/hope that stands for "By The Way":), please tell me), Meson, I saw you are from Buffalo. Are you a Sabres fan?

[Edited by Jochen on 03-26-2001 at 05:13]

I've thought about it that night. The last thing I'd ever enjoy would be to sit in an office...I had much time I thought much and now I know I am ready to kill if it is necessary. And I am also ready to give my life...what do I have to lose? Seen from my point of view not very much. I'll still join the Bundeswehr...but before that I'll have to finish school.
And Mekt: The marking system up from 11th class changed...I still have normal subjects. Choosing only begins now from the 12th class upper with the new marking system...you are lucky to get the chance to make your Abi after the old rules. I for ex. have to take math until the Abi...not in the Abi, but until. But I really pity the next generation after me...they will have to choose 2 languages, math, and two classical sciences till and partly in the Abi. This is part of changes to make the quality of graduants better..Abi gets harder, less people make it and the quality is better. So the firms know that somebody who has Abi, is really good. Today, many people make it, whom are very bad in German, math and whom have chosen history, Religion, Music and such easy subjects. Later this will become impossible.

Originally posted by Manjana
I've thought about it that night. The last thing I'd ever enjoy would be to sit in an office...I had much time I thought much and now I know I am ready to kill if it is necessary. And I am also ready to give my life...what do I have to lose? Seen from my point of view not very much. I'll still join the Bundeswehr...but before that I'll have to finish school.

I have to admit that I admire you for that you are not afraid of the death, especially after you mentioned (If I remember correctly) that you do not believe in god!
I believe my life will continue together with god and jesus in the "new world" after I die and therefore "I'm ready to leave", but that does not mean that I'm not afraid at all of the death.
What do you believe will happen when you die?

Nothing will. Almost nothing. They will burn my body to ash, put it into an unknown grave on a meadow at a graveyard or I'll lie at a mass grave in an unknown country (if the case we are talking about happens). My soul (I really don't believe in that, but I know many people do), won't come to god, like many people believe in that theirs will, because in my eyes he doesn't exist, so maybe I am reborn (not very properble) or it is just end. Then it is just finished and nothing will happen...just my body is eaten by the worms.:)
And you are right I am not really afraid of death, because I often thought about my own death. And how it will be, to die. For me my death belongs to my life and if the illness of my mother's family which is given from one generation to the other, brakes out (what I really don't hope), then will it be better for me if I bring it to an end. Better being dead than sitting in a wheelchair and becoming every day more stupid...because of having an illness which only 100 people in Germany have and which will maybe never be explored or healable, because so less people worldwide have.

In America the entire military systems is voluntary. They abolished what we call the "Draft" back in the '70s. It is true that many men and women went to the Gulf War agianst their will but they did sign up for military service of their own free will. It is just that once in you must go where you are sent. If you are a concientious (sp?) objector (someone who doesn,t wont to kill anyone) you can simply not join the military. I think it would be good for all nations to abolish mandatory military service it truly helped with moral in the American military which was extremely low due to the Vietnam War. I joined the National Guard (civilian defense force) when I was 19. I was trained right along regular Army recruits the only difference was at graduation I went home while the regular Army soldiers went to a duty post overseas. On the theological note, killing someone out of anger or greed is what is objectionable to God. Killing someone for defense of the nation, or yourself is acceptable. This was the counsel given to me from a minister of god when I was considering joining. If anyone is interested read the Old Testement to the Bible the people in it were always at war. Many pacifist here quote the New Testement where Jesus said "when a man strikes you on one check turn to him the other." if read out of context this means be submissive. If read in context it means do not lower yourself to the standards of your attacker or you will become like them.

Oh yes. That's something I also didn't like at the bible...many ministers here pray, God is a judge of peace and justice...but many wars which are told are a contrast to that, the best example for me: The escape of the Israelits out of Egypt. what did god do before? He wanted to force the Pharao u.a. by killing the first born sons. This is a contrast...he's very peaceful. Oh yes...:rolleyes: No, okay I like some parts of the bible, it is right some are integrated in WC (23. Psalm), but I hardly have to say I lost my belief 1,5 years ago. It came step by step and now I only believe in my own luck, which I can influence. There I won't be so much disappointed.

Oh boy, you all dont want me to get started with this one! Although I have plenty to say about the subject!

RFBurns

Please realize that these are my opinions only. Switching gears here, anyone else posting live in Texas and going to college or planning on going to college. If so where in Texas? What subject will you be studing or majoring in?

Originally posted by Michael_A
Please realize that these are my opinions only.

And I the same...

BTW: Who remembers from which game (belonging to the WC universe, of course) I picked this sentence?:D

Hint: The sentence continues with
... You wouldn't kill me (just) for attacking you?

[Edited by Jochen on 03-26-2001 at 14:47]

Originally posted by Michael_A
Many pacifist here quote the New Testement where Jesus said "when a man strikes you on one check turn to him the other." if read out of context this means be submissive. If read in context it means do not lower yourself to the standards of your attacker or you will become like them.

Leave the pacifists alone! By the very definition of pacifist it's safe to assume they didn't do anything to you :D . I really hope this was just a poor choice of words, because quite frankly who are you to tell people the "True" way to interpret the bible. The bible is what you make it to be. If they see it that way it's there choice to do so. If you read it a different way so be it, but don't imply that there way is wrong, just because it's not how you see it. Humm hopefully that's what you mean with "Please realize that these are my opinions only." but it didn't quite seem that way.

oooohh it's privateer isn't it Jochen?

[Edited by Dekkar on 03-26-2001 at 15:45]

Oh you can interprete the bible as you want. For our belief of today even Luther interpreted it 'wrong' in some ways because he wanted it so. It depends from many factors. For ex. in his case the time he lived in.

The bible your reading is in fact itself an interpretation molded by the group that distributed it. There are many differences if you compare the current editions of the bible. If you compare them to the bibles of the 1500's it's practically a different book altogether. which is why it if you choose to believe in it, it's important to know what it means to you, as apposed to what it means.

Back