Aerodynamic sleekness

Bandit LOAF said:
Yup, Wing Commander didn't catch up to Freespace until a game that came out before the first Freespace did.

Hey, their games died harder than Fallout did. Let's show some respect for the dead. ;)

Heck, at least you CAN download the first ep of Secret Ops, IIRC. Freespace2's so far gone that it's not even funny. They came out later, looked real pretty, and then curled up and died like a bug being roasted on an open flame.

Ah well. Such is the space-sim biz.

Dishwasher said:
Must be great for all those fallout fans to finnaly get their sequel.... I wish we would get such news :(

Incidentally, the Fallout rights were NOT sold to Bethesda - but Bethesda did pay for the rights to produce Fallout 3 since Interplay doesn't have the cash to pay its people, much less finish producing a game that it canned the development team for a half-year ago. Notice that Harvey Caen is still talking about making a Fallout MMO - that's because Interplay owns the property. And they're bankrupt, to boot - they haven't started selling properties yet; they're just pimping them out, as any unscrupulous Fallout2 player would his wife.

Second: even if EA died and went to hell, who says that the people who bought the property, assuming EA somehow lost its position as #1 game producer with billions in ready cash on hand, would make a WC game like what you remember? For all you know, they could make a WC first-person game with skull-spiders running around the place, using the DooM 3 engine. Or, for that matter, they could make a 'prequel' to WC which would look nothing like the movies or the games, make Maniac a woman, and then have Blair and her get it on while driving their tanks all over Earth?

Dishwasher said:
Must be great for all those fallout fans to finnaly get their sequel.... I wish we would get such news :(

Have you ever thought that it could be bad news? Fallout definitly has to go through a 'denichefication' process to appeal more people, and the devs will put in BS like real time combat with pauses and stuff.

Lynx said:
Have you ever thought that it could be bad news? Fallout definitly has to go through a 'denichefication' process to appeal more people, and the devs will put in BS like real time combat with pauses and stuff.

NMA.com seems to be ontop of BS for the time being... anyways I would be thrilled to hear that "a" software company was working on a new wing commander

It seems Derek "the most hated man in the pc game business" Smart wants to buy FS IP. People are raging at HLP. Sad.

BTW, I liked FS. And yeah, the proportions are a lot more "realistic" than WC. at least a cap ship seems to be longer than 4 fighters in line.

And I don't agree with the strange theory that FS killed all space sims. It doesn'r add up.

But WC is definitiely better. Technology is NOT the only thing that matters in games.

And I don't agree with the strange theory that FS killed all space sims. It doesn'r add up.

It's not really a theory. It's a fairly well documented fact that the spectacular failures of Freespace 2, StarLancer and Tachyon killed publisher interest in space sims. Three multi-million dollar games that sold 20k or fewer copies each.

Bandit LOAF said:
It's not really a theory. It's a fairly well documented fact that the spectacular failures of Freespace 2, StarLancer and Tachyon killed publisher interest in space sims. Three multi-million dollar games that sold 20k or fewer copies each.

Ok wich one of you guys failed to buy atleast two or three from the above titles? Feel responsible for killing the genre ;).

As the Dragon*Con photos prove, we've bought enough copies of all games for the entire WC community... :)

powell99 said:
Confed kicks ass the federation dosent

We're talking about forms of government, rather than specific universes (eg: Terran Confederation, United Federation of Planets)....

Besides, there's one upside to the whole "Derek Smart Wants To Have FreeSpace 3's Babies" issue - it means he's not likely to get involved in any Wing Commander games in the near future. :D

Whew, yeah I'd be pissed if Smart wanted to take a poor stab at the WC universe...of course I'd still buy the game and might even begrudgingly enjoy it but it would be against my better conscious.

Back