Admiral, Commodore, Major??

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I was just wondering what happened between WCM and WC1. From WCA to WCM we see Tolwyn go from Commodore to Admiral. Yet Paladin goes from Commodore to Major??

Is it because one was Navy officer and the other was in the flight corps? Or did Paladin take a grade reduction to get back in the cockpit?

As I've heard it in previous discussions, Paladin had some sort've secret ops thing going on at the time that he hopped into the cockpit in WC1, right? Although I can't remember half the details they talked about. Paladin DOES mention something about "being an officer like yourself" at one point to Tolwyn when defending Blair in WC2.

The most recent (and best) theory is that Paladin is a Commodore in the classical American sense - he's someone who has been given a special rank so he can issue commands to Captains. It's something temporary that applies only for the duration of his covert operation (which was largely unrelated to the events of the movie.)

Tolwyn is a Commodore in the more recent sense - he's a one star Admiral. The USN has replaced Commodore with Rear Admiral (Lower Half), but the Terran Confederation Navy still uses the circa-World War 2 ranks system. He's promoted to Rear Admiral in 2654 and keeps that rank for the rest of the war...

Paladin DOES mention something about "being an officer like yourself" at one point to Tolwyn when defending Blair in WC2.

Almost every character we see in the games is an officer -- with the exception of a few mechanics...

(Space Point)

That makes sense, I had a feeling it might be something like that. What about in EC2 though, what was his rank at that point during his time in Covert?

Back