Aces? Medals? Promotions? Paint Schemes?

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
Hi WCSaga guys, I was wondering if you included/could include some of these aspects I've enjoyed from previous games: Are there enemy aces that you can dogfight? Are they harder to shoot down? Do they have interesting paint schemes like on the "3D" post of the Arrow? Can you earn medals and/or promotions for excellent performance? With all the various squadrons in your game, can you identify them by paint scheme as well? Are there different skills and fighting styles of your wingmen.. like teaming up with a rookie pilot or an excellent ace? Also, if you're looking for squadron name ideas, I always thought the name "Rocket Riders" would be a cool one. That would be fun to be put into an elite squadron towards the end of the game (because of your excellent skills that are of course required to make it that far) that had colorful paint schemes and awesome pilots like the JG1 Flying Circus, the Lafayette Escadrille, and other elite squadrons of WWI. These ideas could add for a personal touch, a sense of great accomplishment/skill/importance, and really involve players in the storyline. If nothing else (i.e. medals for excellent performance, etc. might be too difficult to program in) you could include these in the stories and dialogue that take place between missions...

For example: "Because of your excellent performance in destroying the Kilrathi *****, Admiral ***** himself awards you the ***** medal"... "You're heart pounds with excitement as you find you've been given a spot with the Confederation's most elite fighter unit, the ******s stationed on the flagship TCS **** and led by one of Confed's finest aces, colonel ****. As you look over it's fighters with the distinct **** paint scheme, known to cause Cat's nightmares by their mere mention, you feel... etc. etc..

Of course none of these game ideas are new, but they are aspects that have helped make Chris Robert's games as well as other fighter sims very engaging and popular and I have no doubt they could only help to improve the WCSaga game.

I'll take a crack at a few of these. Just keep in mind, we are shooting for a WC3 style of gameplay. If it happens in WC3 (other than the live action and making choices in the cutscene), we're trying to make it possible in WCS. All of your questions have been addressed in the script and I'll answer what I feel I should :D.
Mjr. Whoopass said:
Hi WCSaga guys, I was wondering if you included/could include some of these aspects I've enjoyed from previous games: Are there enemy aces that you can dogfight? Are they harder to shoot down? Do they have interesting paint schemes like on the "3D" post of the Arrow?
aces - yes
aces more difficult - definitely (depending on the situation and the ace, maybe much much much much more difficult ;))
different paint jobs for aces - most probably (its in the queue and is very important to us)
Mjr. Whoopass said:
Can you earn medals and/or promotions for excellent performance? With all the various squadrons in your game, can you identify them by paint scheme as well? Are there different skills and fighting styles of your wingmen.. like teaming up with a rookie pilot or an excellent ace?

promotions/medals - you'll have to play to find out! :)
squadron paint schemes - been discussed a little, but its not a high priority
rookie/ace skill level difference - yes

Like I said before, if it happens in WC3 we're striving to make it possible in Saga (plus some, with the help of the FS2 engine :) ).

C-ya

Mjr. Whoopass said:
For example: "Because of your excellent performance in destroying the Kilrathi *****, Admiral ***** himself awards you the ***** medal"... "You're heart pounds with excitement as you find you've been given a spot with the Confederation's most elite fighter unit, the ******s stationed on the flagship TCS **** and led by one of Confed's finest aces, colonel ****. As you look over it's fighters with the distinct **** paint scheme, known to cause Cat's nightmares by their mere mention, you feel... etc. etc..
Hey,

It's okay to swear on the forums. We don't censor.

I like the idea of getting medals in the game, though how we get them is up to the WCS team and the mission designers.

Viper61 said:
aces - yes
aces more difficult - definitely (depending on the situation and the ace, maybe much much much much more difficult ;))
different paint jobs for aces - most probably (its in the queue and is very important to us)
promotions/medals - you'll have to play to find out! :)
squadron paint schemes - been discussed a little, but its not a high priority
rookie/ace skill level difference - yes
AWESOME!!!!!! :D:D:D

Back