Ace Combat 6 - strike-commander-like?

Danaus

Spaceman
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789651p1.html

ace-combat-6-fires-of-liberation-20070517051800395-000.jpg

Nope.
It's Ace-Combat-like.

Ace combat games strike (heh) a good balance between the arcadey and the realistic, even though it's obviously biased more to the arcade side. It has very beautifully recreated real planes, nice and fun gameplay and well defined roles for each of the aircraft. The missions are interesting and varied too. On Ace Combat 5, for instance, in one mission you need to destroy a radar station in perfect synchrony with your 3 wingmen's destruction of 3 other similar stations, otherwise it's mission over. You have to do that 4 times in a row, then you must attack a huge industrial area.

The next mission, you have to disperse clouds of nerve gas on one of your countries cities, in order to save the people. Then you follow a police car chase, and finally has to destroy attack choppers.

You usually don't need to take off or land.

It's quite fun, and quite epic.

That sounds pretty good. Those missions sound pretty intense. Might look into picking this one up now.

The best news I've heard about Ace Combat 6 is that there will be a version bundled with a flightstick setup for the Xbox 360. Hello, Arena with a joystick. :)

The best news I've heard about Ace Combat 6 is that there will be a version bundled with a flightstick setup for the Xbox 360. Hello, Arena with a joystick. :)

"Dear Diary. JACKPOT!"

Now I'm definitely have to look into picking this game up.

It seems the future of WC lies with other control schemes, but Joysticks are good news. I wonder if the game will actually play better on them.

I don't think a joystick would be really better than the gamepad for Arena, but hey, that's very cool anyway.

Ace Combat games usually have a joystick bundle, and the joystick is usually really good (and also works on PCs, with a little fiddling).

It's all about enhancing the experience -- I play Wing Commander Prophecy GBA with a flight stick, too... it wasn't *designed* for that, but it makes me feel good.

Ah, I'll take any joystick support I can get, thank you! I am still not used to the PSP handling of WC.
But I had a XBox 360 controller in my hand today (first time) and I think it would be much better than on the PSP.

Well, Ace Combat plays ridiculously well with the PS2's Dual Shock, it is the series that best employs all the analog buttons... For instance:
- L1 and R1 control the throttle. The harder you press, the faster or slower the plane will go.
- L2 and R2 do the same for the rudder.
- Square is the overhead map. The harder you press, the more it zooms out.
- Triangle changes target. If you press it harder, it will zoom and padlock on the current target.
- Circle is weapon launch. If you press it harder, it goes into missile cam.

I don't know if the Xbox 360's face buttons are analog, anyway, but I know the triggers are.

And controlling the plane's yaw and pitch with the left analog stick is just perfect. Right analog stick controls the camera.

It's freaking brilliant. I'm sure WCArena and AC6 will play really well with the Xbox 360 controller.

I don't know if the Xbox 360's face buttons are analog, anyway, but I know the triggers are.

It does not seem like the face buttons are analog on the Xbox 360.

Here is the internals of an xbox 360 controller. The circle-type nodes (which are where the back, XBox, start and face buttons are located) is a digital contact.

On the other hand, the "wavy" contacts where the dpad is are the same type of contacts used for the analog face buttons on the original xbox controller. So it may be possible that the dpad has analog capabilities (although the whole point of a dpad is to be digital, which is why they have the analog sticks in the first place).

Anyway I found that very few games in practice actually used the analog capabilities of the face buttons on the original Xbox. In fact, some games like Forza Motorsport wouldn't let you do anything with the buttons unless you pushed them all the way in and triggered the full signal. If you pushed the buttons down with less than full force they wouldn't do anything. And that's pretty annoying if you're used to being able to apply just enough force to a button to make it go down instead of smashing it.

Just got the demo for ace combat 6 and my god its good only a short mission but it looks and plays well im a bigfan of ace combat and i cant wait for this one!!

Back