"accent" in Wing Commander

t.c.cgi said:
Then there's always the Star TrekTM universal translator excuse that majically lip syncs and everything... :p

How would the Kilrathi get a bunch of Star TrekTM universal translators? :confused:

Poulton said:
Why would the Kilrathi watch Bugs Bunny?
Apparently it took that long for the TV signals to get from Earth to the Kilrathi, so after watching the cartoons gathered by their intel, they figured that Bugs Bunny had a religious meaning for Terrans and used it in taunts. I can;t remember which book this was in . . .it may have even been in The Price of Entertainment ;)

C-ya

It was mentioned in End Run, in which a Kilrathi used the taunt "Bugs Bunny screws his mother!" They taught Bugs Bunny was a great folk hero of Earth and Hobbes had used taunts based around him many times before he defected.

Lorroberty said:
Is there any french-speaking that can tell us if Angel speaks with a French-Belgian accent or a French-neutral one?

From what I can remember, in WC2 (speech pack) she sounds more like an American girl that try a French accent, but I can't remember what she sounds like in WC3. I'll try to watch the movies I give you more info later.
I also got a version of WC4 where everybody speek french. Very disturbing.

I never knew they made alternate sound tracks for the cinematics. Anyone know of any other languages? Or was the French WC4 some unofficial project?

The games have been translated into a number of languages -- I believe WC3 was released simultaneously in French, German and English... and then later in Spanish and Japanese.

Lorroberty said:
Is there any french-speaking that can tell us if Angel speaks with a French-Belgian accent or a French-neutral one?

I'm french... if you can extract a speech from her, I can tell which accent she uses..
but I think this is neither a french belgian nor a french neutral accent... more a french with american accent.

BTW, southern Belgium (Wallonie) speaks french... northern Belgium (Flanders) do not speak french and do not want to :)

ChanceKell said:
I never knew they made alternate sound tracks for the cinematics. Anyone know of any other languages? Or was the French WC4 some unofficial project?

I have is the EA classic (in a blue box) version, so I'm not sure if it was released at the same time.
There is also a version of WC3 for Israel in a box with a Tomb Raider like shape, but I don't know as for the movies, since I can't read what's on the box.
It looks like Kilrathi. ;)

Hmm . . . can you scan it? One of my ex-girlfriends has been to Israel several times, and has, altogether, spent over a year there. . . maybe she could read it.

I don't have the box. It's just some box cover I got from MobyGames, but they no longer have them on their web site.
I've attached the 2 images to my post (front 640x794 and back cover 640x764), but I'm not sure if it will work, because I'm not a regular. :(
If it doesn't work, I'll try to put them on a ftp somewhere or email them to someone.

Attachments

• 960585076-00.jpg
    960585076-00.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 960585274-00.jpg
    960585274-00.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 167
That looks like Hebrew to me. Then again, I'm no expert. I'll save those and see if she can read them next time I see here . . . no promises on when that'll be, though.

Y'know, I wonder how long it'll be before there's actually a Kilrathi language . . . like Klingon, y'know?

Back