"accent" in Wing Commander

I think overmortal was talkign about a complete langauge. That list is just random phrases and words.

We're too cool and have too many chicks to pimp to do a complete Kilrathi language.

TC, of course, in his haste, overlooks the fact that my nick was actually <O-O> at the time!

I'm just glad that I was able to do my part in instigating this exchange. I can go to bed feeling satisfied now. . . . I doubt I'll go to bed anytime soon, but still.

At any rate, some WC fan with a major education in linguistics will probably come up with a Kilrathi language within the next twenty years or so. That gives me just enough time to grow enough body hair to look Kilrathi . . . of course . . I doubt I'll ever get laid like that . . .but, that's the price we pay.

I'm also noticing your low post count. I'd say you're just not dedicated, that's all.

. . . actually, if I still had anything resembling a life, I wouldn't have the post count that I have . . .

Bandit LOAF said:
The games have been translated into a number of languages -- I believe WC3 was released simultaneously in French, German and English... and then later in Spanish and Japanese.

do you say that WC exists in all these languages and not in italian?
Is there anybody that can send a little sample voice of Angel in WC3(so we can discover her "real" accent thank to a french-friend?)? I don't know how can I do this!

Well, if it wasn't for the not counting posts on the off-topic board I may be up in the hundreds. I post way more there than anywhere else. Not that I post much around here anyway, but still.

Partly that I'm not dedicated to THIS forum. I post a lot on others.

Ripper said:
I wonder why the Kilrathi speak English with a Kilrathi accent instead of speaking Kilrathi with subtitles. Kinda like the old WW 2 movies with Germans speaking English with a German accent. :D

I wonder why Kilrathi speak better English than most humans do :confused:

Col.Dom said:
I wonder why Kilrathi speak better English than most humans do :confused:

Possibly because they're paying more attention to it, and the fact that they're aliens. Aliens in sci-fi almost always speak English more clearly and precisely than Earthlings. It may not be the best example, but compare Tea'lc or Thor to the human members of SG1 (I'm talking about Stargate, here, by the way). You know, things like after Capt. Carter suggesting Tea'lc drink warm milk to help him rest he replies "I do not wish to consume bovine lactose at any temperature". Hobbes' "I require your assistence" is little different.

It's a pity they didn't have the Kilrathi speak more Kilrathi with English subtitles. It's also a pity the Germans in RtCW (and others) didn't speak German with English subtitles. Both would have been very cool.

Play "Gabriel Knight - The Beast within". At least I think that was the name.
It plays in southern Germany. Now part of the problem is that the locals only speak their dialect and so you have to get the answers from them translated to English first.
Now the German version was slightly less fun as you'd still have to translate to proceed in the adventure, but now it was German=>German. Now for the northern population of Germany that still might have made sense as the local dialect is one of the more difficult ones.
Problem is that I am from Salzburg, which is less then 30 mins from there so for me it was pretty much translating my local dialect to school-German. Now that sucked... LOL

I loved how articulate the Kilrathi speak in English. Makes them seem more intelligent. More deadly. I doubt we'd have much fear or respect for large cats that say things like "Us kill damn apes bad."

Yes, I too love how well the Kilrathi speak English. However, out of all of them, I think Hobbes does it best. He uses such serenity in his words. 'Tis great stuff!

As for making them more deadly, you're correct there. Superior intellect is far more intimidating and respectable than redneck banter. Go kats! :p

Back