Academy TV, Tolwyn, Black Lance, Oasian Orb

Chip

Spaceman
In the Wing Commander Academy TV series, there was an episode entitled "Recreation". The Tiger's Claw under command of Geoff Tolwyn stops at a planet called Oasis. Later the Warrior King (who was played by Michael Dorn) wanted to retrieve his Orb located on Oasis. The Orb is half meter diameter glowing sphere of enormous and infinite power -- it provided the safe biosphere for the Oasians. Now when Tolwyn formed his Black Lance Cabal and got corrupted by his craving for power and his own version of his arrogant military might, my question is why didn't he steal the Orb from the Oasians so he could have more power? Another question is, if the Warrior King could travel forward through time from Earth during the 1990s (I assume it's the 1990s given the graphics of the Street Fighter animated series) to the time of the ConFederation , why didn't ConFed use the time portal to send people back through time to warn Earth people in the 1990s to prepare for the Terran/Kilrathi War? A third question is, why didn't ConFed simply evacuate the Oasians to transports and take the Orb en route to Kilrah to use that Orb to end the Terran/Kilrathi War once and for all -- if the Orb can create worlds, it should be able to destroy them and the Oasians could've used the Orb to rebuild Oasis after the War.

Chip: "why didn't he steal the Orb from the Oasians so he could have more power?"
My interpretation is that Tolwyn wanted to prove that humanity was a superior species. And a species that relies on a mystical orb to do its dirty work isn't a hallmark of superiority.

"why didn't ConFed use the time portal to send people back through time to warn Earth people in the 1990s to prepare for the Terran/Kilrathi War?"
Maybe because people in the 1990s wouldn't believe them.
Or maybe because people in the 1990s would say "Screw it! Let future generations worry about it."
Or maybe Confed was afraid that indiscriminate time travel might set in motion events that would prevent the formation of the Confederation.

"why didn't ConFed simply evacuate the Oasians to transports and take the Orb en route to Kilrah to use that Orb to end the Terran/Kilrathi War once and for all -- if the Orb can create worlds, it should be able to destroy them and the Oasians could've used the Orb to rebuild Oasis after the War."
Well that kind of defeats the purpose of Wing Commander III ;)

Only Blair, Maniac and Archer knew about the orb, though -- presumably they didn't tell anyone else.

Bandit: Only Blair, Maniac and Archer knew about the orb, though -- presumably they didn't tell anyone else.

me: Well, Tolwyn did say in the episode "a unique ozone layer that blocks out ultraviolet light". Also, the Warrior King (when he was in the Tiger Claw's Brig) did state he was looking for the maker (the Orb). You would think that the Warrior King's conversation with Blair would've been monitored. Also, the Oasians were quite honest about the object that provided them with a better planet. And the Kilrathi did know of the sphere (the Orb) which is why they sent that carrier there and one of the Kilrathi said something to the effect of "Out of my way Terran, I'm here for the same reason you are -- 'recreation'." -- that implies the Kilrathi were searching for the Orb on Oasis.

Penguin: My interpretation is that Tolwyn wanted to prove that humanity was a superior species. And a species that relies on a mystical orb to do its dirty work isn't a hallmark of superiority.

CB: That is a good point, but in the novel, Tolwyn stated how that humanity needed to continue to upgrade its weapons. And that orb should've been #1 on the list. I had theorized that if Tolywn wanted the Orb, he would not have cared if it was mystical or not. In fact, I had also contemplated that Tolwyn would've kept the Orb either at Axius or on Earth for his personal use and/or put the Orb under scientific research to find out its true potential and use it as part of his basis for creating his super human species.

Penguin:
Maybe because people in the 1990s wouldn't believe them.
Or maybe because people in the 1990s would say "Screw it! Let future generations worry about it."
Or maybe Confed was afraid that indiscriminate time travel might set in motion events that would prevent the formation of the Confederation.

me: Those are good points. In response to your first point, if humans could travel back through time, they could've brought along a few Kilrathi POWs as evidence. It'd get interesting in the 1990s to see Chun-Li Zhang or Ryu beat up a Kilarthi in a Street Fighter tournament :) And it would be even more interesting to see Sagat beat up a Kilrathi. :)

In response your second point, that is doubtful because I cannot imagine great-great-great etc. grandparents neglecting the survivabiliy of their respective great-great-great etc. grandchildren in regards to an interstellar war -- in my opinion that's probably the worst form of child neglect. If I was a great-great-great etc. grandparent, I'd do everything I could for future generations of my family.

Your third point has some validity. But I'd envision that the humans in the 1990s would've used good sense and basically said, "Ok, we'll get the ConFederation formed and get massive ships and numerous fighters and the like constructed".

Chip: Humanity already has the Behemoth or at least the relevant technology to blow up a planet. How much more powerful do you want?
Bringing back Kilrathi would be irrefutable proof but what if this sets in motion events that lead to humans wiping out the Kilrathi earlier on? The whole point to the Kilrathi is that they provide us with a formidable foe. Blowing them up while they're technological behind doesn't strike me as fun game material.
"I'd do everything I could for future generations of my family."
Just how much do you think you can do for your umpteenth grandchild in the 27th century? Its 700 years - 28 generations. The honest truth I feel is that you should concentrate on your own children. Then let them care for theirs and so on.
Finally look at Earth's history. Since the beginning humanity has been divided. It has been civilization against civilization, empire against empire. Don't let things like the UN, world summits, globalised world trade, etc, etc make you think we're one big happy family of countries. We're not. There are still wars & hatred. Grudges, whether their centuries old or more recent are not easily forgotten or forgiven. A unified state like the Terrran Confederation is a fond wish that probably won't be realized in our life times.

I don't recall this episode exactly, but it was my impression that this fellow didn't do time travel, but rather has been in cryo-suspension for a veeeery long time. Correct me if I'm wrong though, because I don't have the time right now to watch it again.

Chip says:
It'd get interesting in the 1990s to see Chun-Li Zhang or Ryu beat up a Kilarthi in a Street Fighter tournament And it would be even more interesting to see Sagat beat up a Kilrathi.
But of course you'd have to consider the slight detail that there's no such thing as a Street Fighter tournament, either in reality or in the WC universe. It would therefore be very difficult to get the above-mentioned characters to meet up with a Kilrathi.

...And thank God for that. If it was any other way, some accursed games developer might be tempted to make yet another pathetic sequel to that awful, awful series :).

Chip says:
In response your second point, that is doubtful because I cannot imagine great-great-great etc. grandparents neglecting the survivabiliy of their respective great-great-great etc. grandchildren in regards to an interstellar war -- in my opinion that's probably the worst form of child neglect. If I was a great-great-great etc. grandparent, I'd do everything I could for future generations of my family.
Indeed. And that is exactly why we're cutting down the Amazon rainforest.

...That is to say, 99.99% of the human race couldn't care less about what happens three or four generations from now, let alone thirty generations.

Chip says:
Your third point has some validity. But I'd envision that the humans in the 1990s would've used good sense and basically said, "Ok, we'll get the ConFederation formed and get massive ships and numerous fighters and the like constructed".
For goodness' sake, if the Israelis and Palestinians can't agree to peace even though it's in the best interests of not just future generations, but those alive right now...

RE: Quartro's message

The Warrior King starts out in the episode of Street Fighter entitled "The Warrior King". His homeoworld's Orb is sent through a tunnel to Earth (where the Street Fighters live). He follows it. Later that Orb goes through another tunnel to where it lands up on another show (Dragon Cop or something like that). Then the Orb goes through another tunnel and lands on Earth again this time during when the Mortal Kombat Heroes are dealing with the evil Emperor and his traitorous evil henchman Shang Sun. I'm guessing that the Mortal Kombat era is years past the Street Fighter and Dragon era, so the portal is probably a time space-time portal. Raiden (one of the Mortal Kombaters) throws the Orb through a portal so it winds up light years away from Earth in space (and thus it reaches Oasis). Warrior King goes through the portal but doesn't seem to reach Oasis, but he's close enough.

And here's another idea, if the 1990 Earth people knew of the Orb that Bison was using, why weren't they more careful to try to find it when it kept going through all those portals? That Orb had so much power, surely Earth people knew of the responsibility in making sure it would be safely used and kept.

The Warrior King starts out in the episode of Street Fighter entitled "The Warrior King". His homeoworld's Orb is sent through a tunnel to Earth (where the Street Fighters live). He follows it. Later that Orb goes through another tunnel to where it lands up on another show (Dragon Cop or something like that). Then the Orb goes through another tunnel and lands on Earth again this time during when the Mortal Kombat Heroes are dealing with the evil Emperor and his traitorous evil henchman Shang Sun. I'm guessing that the Mortal Kombat era is years past the Street Fighter and Dragon era, so the portal is probably a time space-time portal. Raiden (one of the Mortal Kombaters) throws the Orb through a portal so it winds up light years away from Earth in space (and thus it reaches Oasis). Warrior King goes through the portal but doesn't seem to reach Oasis, but he's close enough.
Erm... and the reason why you think this WC character is the Warrior King, is...?

In reply to Quarto

I think this WC character is the Warrior King because, 1, each of those episodes of the different shows was aired on the same day, 2, each episode contained a medieval like character that looked, sounded, and moved identical, 3, each episode contained a guy chasing what appeared to be the same Orb. Just mere coincidences, I think not.

Uh, that ain't no warrior king. Every educated person knows that it's actually Thor, God of Thunder...

Anyhow, that character was something that USA obviously wanted in all of it's shows as an easter egg or something. The character from WCA has no conection to all those other, sucky shows.

If it ain't WC (or Scotish), it's crap!

Back