About the trivia archive...

And Kris, might I ask, if a game is not supposed to be challenging, then why would you play it? The idea is to beat it by yourself at least the first time without outside help. If you can't get by a mission, set it back to rookie while you play that mission, then change back to whatever you want when you're done. If you need a guide to help get you off WCP's missions, (or WCIVs, WCIII I can't speak about, because never played it...), you're in serious trouble. I was a rookie to flight sims other than the Freespace demo when I got WCP, and I played through fine the first time, with no troubles. Am I just a good pilot, or did I get lucky?

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
KrisV said:
Oh come on. It's a 250 page guide. They couldn't fit it in the WCP box if they tried. And a lot of effort goes into those guides. Complaining about the fact that you have buy them is just silly.

Actually.... my WCP Guide came in the WCP box. :/

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Say, did WCP Gold include the guide?

Dralthi5: Paladin had a lot of time
smile.gif
. But it's still a surprise
biggrin.gif

Hmm... now why doesn't it surprise me that Paladin would have BoomBoom in his private reserve?
smile.gif
I bet there's more than a few bottles of Sukhar May'ya hidden in there, too.

I bought both WCP and WCP Gold, and I didn't get a guide in either one of them.

WCP (non-Gold) has prettier CD's, too.

Knight: WCP is by far the easiest in the series. It has the weakest enemy missles, the AI for most of the ships is not good, and most ships are far weaker than yours. They should have put in more devil rays but there is an editor that you can get that will do that for you. Makes it much more fun. been a long time, I can't remember where it's at. Someone here will though.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I was given the guides for Wing Commanders 3, 4, and WCP...I had just bought WCP the week before, and in that time, I had already beaten it. I must say I did enjoy looking through the book for the detailed stats for the ships and fighters, and as well as the backgrounds given for all the main characters, and the story leading up to the game's events. This is why I've always enjoyed looking in strategy guides. Now, I have to admit, when I pump up the difficulty, I will glance at the details of that mission in the book.....and you have no idea how ashamed of myself I am because of it........* hangs head in shame *

Quarto, My WCPG did not include the guide, though I have seen some games, like Startship Titanic come bundled with the guide. Which makes me think of the article at Gamespot mentioned on the CIC about the dumbing down of computer games. Prophecy Gold did have a nice 140 page manual, that covered installation, gameplay, reprinted the ICIS and added stats for the new Confed ships and weapons in SO, including the Cerberus. It also had transfer orders, a threat assesment from Confed for what they thought the Cerberus would be facing (pirates, looters, perhaps a few bugs, some low probabilities for insurrection) and a short note from Taggart to Casey. However that letter seems to contradict the game. In it Paladin says it was nice to see Casey again at the ceremonies (though the other SO documentation and the conversations at the beging of SO seemd to indicate, Casey and the others weren't there. May have been another reception, I guess. Taggart's letter also mentioned Casey had visited his mother, another thing I thought didn't happen. Rereading the SO fiction, it may be he just missed a family reunion, though. Taggart does make refernce to Casey and Stilleto having a couple days R&R, and I believe Maestro made a dig at them about some romantic leave, so I may be seeing a problem where there isn't one.

Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander Prophecy was not written by Origin, and it was not released at the same time as the game. Origin contracted out a team of people to write it -- we should be thanking them for allowing additional fiction to be written for it, not complaining that they're tring to 'trick' us! You did not have to buy the guide -- the additional fiction is not required to understand the game, but rather is just to give something back to long-time fans who would appreciate such things. Imagine how someone looking for mission walkthroughs feels about a four page biography of Colonel Blair?

(Further, longtime fans could get the guide for free by buying the game directly from EA when it came out...)

Exactly. That's how I and a few others here got their guides.
smile.gif

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

No I think the depolmantic core thing was all just a joke because blair got on casey's ass.

aka ICEMAN

p.s. whats the actor's name that played casey?

------------------
..."Meir mortals well bowe down to my power!"

[This message has been edited by SEPHIROTH (edited August 24, 2000).]

Steven Petra-something or other. Um, someone around here is bound to know off the top of their head. And I can't believe so many people are lucky enough to get freebie/dirt-cheap WC stuff. Either lucky, or you guys know where to look.

They were in the right place at the right time. It's like buying books. Clancy's new novel is out and to help get it on the Best Seller's list, it is 30-40% off the cover price at B&N and Borders (I walk by them every day, I'm assuming they aren't the only two) However, if you go back in a couple months, you'll pay the full price for the same book.

You were close Wedge, it is Steven Petrarca.

Back