About the trivia archive...

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
One of the questions was asking what Lance Casey's assignment was before being assigned to a naval carrier. It says the answer is that he had some sort of job in the diplomatic corps. I don't think this is correct.

According to Waypoint! and the dialogue at the start of the game, Casey's first mission outside the academy is ferrying a Piranha to the Midway. The only mention they make of the diplomatic corps is Zero mentioning it as a joke when Blair caught Casey badmouthing him.

I've looked everywhere, and unless you really really stretch the possibility that Zero is mentioning the diplomatic corps as Casey's last assignment, I see how you could get that, but as I said - It's a very long stretch.

I'd just like to know if this job became clear to anyone else. Oh well. Go figure.

------------------

§

Hm, are you sure you didn't miss read? Lance Casey's first assignment was ferrying a Piranha to the Midway, then being stationed aboard the Midway. Someone goofed.

Zero mentions the diplomatic corps when Casey is talking negatively about Blair (it wasn't really badmouthing, just talking about his "legend" status), because they (Zero and Dallas) were joking about him being demoted/kicked/diciplined. Casey was fresh from the Academy, at least as far as I could see he was.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'll take for granted you read it right. Perhaps Casey was in the Corps w/ Maestro when Maestro managed to steal the Altarian senator's private reserve
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited August 18, 2000).]

Hehe.. true, but I don't see how the diplomatic corps tie into meeting the Consolate General... heh... aw well.

All I know is that nowhere in Waypoint!, WCP, or SO, Casey's first assignment is bringing the Piranha to the Midway.

Just go to the Trivia archive, and see. The answer to one of the questions is that Lance Casey's first assignment was with the diplomatic corps. Oi...

heh... and yeah, my wording was off. Casey was talking about how tired he was of hearing about Blair's pilot history and junk. That's my favorite scene in that game. Heh... I still wish they'd finish up the story though. WCP and SO don't finish up that part of the story...

------------------

§

Saturnyne said:
Heh... I still wish they'd finish up the story though. WCP and SO don't finish up that part of the story...

Yeah, bummer.
frown.gif

------------------

Quoth the Official Guide to Wing Commander Prophecy... "Upon graduation, in a misjudgement on a scale only a military bureaucracy is capable of, Casey was assigned to a milk run -- shuttling ambassadors and other high-powered diplomats around the Confed in ultra-fast, luxorious transports. His performance in the cockpit was exemplary, but the assignment left him entirely too much leisure for mischief between missions. He narrowly avoided career-ending charges several times." (p.17) and "For his fired assignment, Maestro pulled strings his father didn't know he could reach to land a soft assignment for both Casey and himself ferrying diplomats around Confed space. It did not take the two long to shake down their tour of duty for everything it was worth. When he was prematurely rotated to a new assignment on board the Midway,.." (p. 27)

(Further, in case you didn't pick up on the incredibly subtle reference, the Altarian Consul is Paladin).

[This message has been edited by Bandit LOAF (edited August 19, 2000).]

Whoa, hey! That is subtle!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Wow. I guess I need to get all those damn guides
smile.gif
Nice bit of information to know though
smile.gif

------------------

Why wouldn't they mention that in the game? All they talk about is Casey is there because of his merits and abilities he showed as a cadet in the academy.

It's also cool how Paladin can be a senator, and the Alterian Consolate too. Heh... maybe I should be a senator, and a king or something. Hehe...

Anyway, I think they should have mentioned that in the game, instead of making it sound like he came straight out of the academy to the Midway. Though that wouldn't make sense either, because Maestro wouldn't have "met" the consulate's daughter, unless he managed to squeeze in that meeting before he was sent off on his mission, which would make tons of sense then. Oi... stupid secrets kept out of the game that are IMPORTANT to character development! >
frown.gif

------------------

§

but why?

All the games are like that. There's not enough room in the games to put every detail in them. So, they made *secondary* manuals for them. Have you heard of the phrase, "read the manual"?

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

[This message has been edited by Meson (edited August 21, 2000).]

I think what he is referring to is that if it isn't put into the game it should be in the manual. Not a strategy guide that costs almost half of the freaking game. Its just another way for companies to rip off consumers.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Yeah, fuck you Prima Games! How dare you make a wonderful 250 page guide and charge us 20 bucks for it. And I'll see you in hell, Chris McCubbin, you awful, awful man.

Oh yeah, and
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by KrisV (edited August 21, 2000).]

Last edited:
Hmmm, yes... Anyways, I wasn't aware Paladin had a daughter. Where'd he find the time to do this?
wink2.gif

------------------

Whoa! Kris, you're really passionate about venting your frustration, huh?

And LOAF, how do you know that Paladin is the Altarian General? That is, if the question doesn't pose a threat to your omniscience. (No sarcasm intended) Doesn't it say in Claw Marks that he's from a space station around Venus and of Scottish descent?

This comes from the Wing Commander 4 novel... presumably, Altair allows the appointment of people born elsewhere...

Wedge009 said:
Whoa! Kris, you're really passionate about venting your frustration, huh?
Oh come on. It's a 250 page guide. They couldn't fit it in the WCP box if they tried. And a lot of effort goes into those guides. Complaining about the fact that you have buy them is just silly.

The problem I have is that I don't need the guide to beat the game. I do have to buy the guide if I want the rest of the history that goes with the game. It makes sense from a marketing POV, many folks (like me) wouldn't buy it if it only had the walk throughs, but we will if it is the only place to get more background on the characters. I still resent it, to an extent, though I recognize the fact they need to make money on the venture, and the extra info is the bait to get us to open our wallets.

On an FPS game where you can get turned around and lost (Half-Life) and need maps etc., a guide was good. But like Shane said. Why the hell would you pay $20 for a stratgy guide for a flight sim? Why do you need to be guided? Basically, they leave out some nice chunks of information from the game, sell it to Prima. Now, I don't know about you, but that's just plain stupid. $20 frickin dollars for a guide I'd skim through one time. If you have the money to burn, or are a wingnut (no offense LOAF, or anybody else who buys everything
smile.gif
), that's great, have fun with the guides, but those who don't need them shouldn't be without that information.

------------------

The amount of information they can squeeze into a game manual is very limited. The WCP guide has many little details about the various characters, ie a nice summary of Blair's entire career. And if you were an alt.games.wing-commander regular, you'd know how often people have problems with certain missions, and how much the tips in those guides help them out. Furthermore, it's a nice item any fan would love to have.

Thats the problem, you can get help or a walkthrough anywhere on the net. As for not having enough room in a game manual, thats a joke. I have game manuals that came with the games that are 244 pages long. StarCraft is 94 pages and over half is nothing but pure background story. So the "there's not enough room" is a joke.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Back