abandoneware

A

A cat

Wing Commander has been around for a while now and for the most part has even dissapeared from shops for the most part. I was wondering what the stance was of CIC about making WC games available for download? I have not been able to find them on the CIC site itself but since you do have the animated series you have to beleive in the concept of abandoneware. Were would you draw the line? WC1? WC5? Or somewere in between? I'm interrested in this.

"Abandonware" is not a legal definition - it's simply an informal term used for games no longer in print. Regardless of whether people believe it's moral or not, the fact remains that EA has (and has always had) the option of coming down on "abandonware" distributors if it so chooses, and I don't believe the WCnews staff is interested in jeoparidizing their reputation for the sake of something you can pick up for five dollars on eBay.

As for the expansions, they're up for download, I think, as is the original SO pack. Subsequent episodes are not, however.

We have permission to host WCA. We don't have permission to host the games.

FYI, there is no such thing as abandonware. It's all warez. The forum rules are quite clear what our stance is on that matter.

Back