AB Fuel

I like Stiletto's They are like better Ferrets. I mean they are stronger and have better missiles. They remind me alot of Scimitars (which I hate) but they have the WAY better manuverability and I am sure they are stronger.

Gladii are probably the worst ship I think They do have the best foreward firepower as of yet but, they seem to be as bad as the Broadswords in terms of manuveribility

Rapiers are what I am waiting for. They IMHO are the best WC fighters of *all* time so I can only imagine how they play in standoff.

Strange. I personaly never liked the Rapier. But then, neither did I like the Sabre. I always prefered very light fighters (like the Ferret and Epee) and Heavies (like the Raptor and Broadsword).

powell99 said:
Gladii are probably the worst ship I think They do have the best foreward firepower as of yet but, they seem to be as bad as the Broadswords in terms of manuveribility.
Oh, Broadswords are far worse. :p

I hated the Rapier in WC2, but loved it in WC1. As far as Standoff goes I'd say that the Rapier is the second strongest ship behind the Wraith. At least for my style of flying. Its most certainly stronger then Sabre or a Morningstar for me. Of course there are drawbacks as the Rapier has a hard time against capships, even smaller ones.

The thing that really bothers me about Standoff's Rapier is that it has the ITTS. There doesn't seem to be any way to disable it just for one ship :(.

I really didn't undertsand the hype about the ITTS anyhow. I can perfectly life without it. Or even autotracking guns.

Me, I'd remove that little arrow that keeps pointing towards your targeted enemy... but Q tells me to keep it! :p

I think that you'd miss ITTS in Standoff. Although that said I managed fine throughout four X-Wing games.

Here's an idea, why don't you half the refire rate of all the guns. Almost all the fighters have duel or triple guns. Since the amount of damage remains the same no matter what the firing sequences you could half all the gun refire rates and that would bring them in line with WCII refire rates.

Then you'd just need to do turreted versions of a few guns with the normal refire rates.

Actually, since there are only about six different gun types and there are lots of spare slots in SO you could duplicate guns so that you those that needed it you could have different versions with differednt refire rates.

Here's an example:

The particle cannon is seen mounted singly on the Talon, dual on the Rapier and triple on the Morningstar so you have three versions.

400ms refire version for Talon

200ms refire version for Rapier

133ms refire version for Morningstar.

That would stop people from hating the Stilletto and it wouldn't make the game easier because both sides use the same guns.

That's an awesome idea. If there isn't any serious contra argument, this should be implemented as soon as time for new ideas is available.

I think I mentioned this once already, and I do think it's a good idea. If there are enough gun slots, you'd need to do the following:

Double/Triple Mass Driver (assuming the Broadsword is available)
Double/Triple Neutron Guns
Single/Double/Triple Particle Cannons
Single/Double Lasers (assuming Tarsus has single laser)

Honestly I think I haven't missed anything just with that, which would make it EXTREMELY doable...

BattleDog said:
Here's an idea, why don't you half the refire rate of all the guns. Almost all the fighters have duel or triple guns. Since the amount of damage remains the same no matter what the firing sequences you could half all the gun refire rates and that would bring them in line with WCII refire rates.
Wouldn't work. We can't prevent people from choosing "single guns" mode, so if we halved the refire rate to make, for example, dual mass drivers fire at the WC2 rate... people could still choose a single mass driver on the same ship, and fire it at twice the WC2 rate.

It'd be essentially the same situation we have now, except that we'd waste extra gun slots, and that the Broadsword would have faster firing single mass drivers than the Rapier, etc. which wouldn't make much sense.

IMO, It makes sense. I mean, if a ship has two guns alternately firing, it sure would make sense that they'd be faster than a lone one.

You misunderstood me. The question is:

Does it make sense that one of a ship's mass drivers fires faster than one of another ship's mass drivers, just because the first ship has three MDs total (two of which are not being used) and the second ship only has two MDs total (one of which is not being used)?

In short, does it make sense that the number of mass drivers which are not being fired has an impact on the refire rate of the mass drivers which are being fired?

If I give a ship 50 mass drivers, the single-gun mode would fire 25 times faster than the Ferret's single-gun mode, since the Ferret only has 2 mass drivers. Do we have any reason to think that's the way it should work?

No. It makes more sense that single mass drivers fire at the same rate no matter what ship they're on, and that the refire rate of multiple linked guns is the one which depends on the total number of guns.

Even if the other way around did make sense, someone would have to go back to 1990 and tell Origin that for me to change it. :p

Ahh I get it! It will just make ships like the broadsword shoot too much. I had the same problem in DOSbox when I put the emulation at to high of a speed. I killed a Gothri in about a second.

Back to the point

Is there anyway around this with just one ship?
(In case anyone cannot tell I want to learn more about the WCP engine)

I don't think there's any way around it since, like I said, in the WCP engine you can still select the firing mode between full guns and single guns - even when there's just one type of gun on the ship.

WC2 = Refire rate doesn't depend on number of guns
WCP = Refire rate gets divided by number of guns

So there's no way around it in WCP, unless you consider making a ship with only 1 gun. :p

In any other case, the player is able to choose how many guns to fire at a time, and the refire rate will always depend on this choice.

Actually Eder I had thought of that. First lets consider the mechanics:

Will this mean that no matter how many guns you have of each type a full salvo will always have the same refire delay?

Yes.

Is this how it works in all the other games?

Yes.

Will this make the mechanics of guns closer to WCII?

Yes.

In other words the idea is to get all linked guns to fire at the same rate, just like in the other games and even if they do fire "faster" on single fire the amount of damage per salvo is ALWAYS the same.

Now the fact is that triple guns on a Broadsword won't fire faster than a Stilletto's two. Here's why

A massdriver takes 300ms to refire. Fire linked all the massdrivers fire at the same time, then 300ms later they fire again.

Now here's how single guns should work.

0ms) A massdriver fires and immideatly begins reloading

100ms) The second massdriver fires and the first is 100ms through reloading

200ms) The third massdriver fires and the first is 200ms through reloading

300ms) The first massdriver fires again, having taken the full 300ms to reload.

So while the second and third guns are firing the first is reloading and fires again 300ms after it first fires.

At the moment the formula for guns is:

Number of guns * single refire delay = full guns refire delay

It should be:

Full guns refire delay / number of guns = single refire delay

You can alter the gun mechanics by making the changes I proposed above.

Back