AAAAAAAAAAAAAsteroids

JKeefe

Spaceman
I must say, an asteroid field from a distance is a site to behold. But how on earth is it possible to fly through one without getting hit? The asteroids are so close together there is barely room for a Tarsus...

Oh its possible. You want to fly slow and keep your eyes out for gaps. Then you can hit your AB and you should be good. Also Try not to fly in a strait line and look form the chase view of the ship. It will show you if an asteriod is trying to sneak up on you. I hope I was a little helpful...

im not sure if any of you will agree or if this already fixed. but the asteroids to me just seem to move across the screen. i don't feel like im moving through the field cuz the asteroids don't move towards me or change size. of course that could be just me

Personally I can go through them on afterburners in my Centurion. They do move across the screen, up/down/sideways there are different shapes and sizes and speeds, but if you use the HUD form of the cockpit instead of the consoles, you can see them coming and adjust accordingly. I think they're MUCH easier to get through than in the original game.

I have to agree Turbo, they really don't give you the feeling you're moving through them. It's almost like they're moving trhough with you.

You can zoom out with F12 in chase cam

zoom in is F11

You can also try F6 panning mode... then use pageup pagedown ins and del to pan

Umm, I think the biggest mistake people make is over-reacting. If you use a joystick, gentle touches on the directional controls. Don't make over-reactive movements. Those seem to invite disaster.

You don't get bounced around like you did in the original. This makes life REAL EASY in the asteroid fields. Let the shields take the occasional hit. Try to make them glancing blows.

I regularly fly the asteroid fields in my Centurion at full afterburners and full shields. Yes, full shields AND afterburners. my speed toggles between 979 and 1000. Seldom do I ever even glance an asteroid, and RARELY do I ever take any armour or hull damage at all.

Just take it easy with the controls and steer where you want to go.

JKeefe: do you watch MXC? Aerospace vs Fast Food :D

I've thought for a while now that the asteroids move a bit too fast. Sometimes one whacks you from behind (when you are going full speed!) and there is nothing you can do.

Chase view helps, but I would prefer not to have to rely on that, as it takes me out of the game. I've never liked 3rd person stuff.. I played Freelaner in 1st person as much as possible.

They are something I will try experimenting with in the next few days. Slow them down a bit, make them smaller, have more of them.. who knows. Maybe LOD the smaller ones out of existence when you are farther away so you don;t see peevish little pixel sized specks everywhere..

If the experimenting doesn't work out, they can be left as is without too much heartache. They don't hurt bad enough to have to fix it - if anything they are too weak right now. I'd like to make them hurt more, but be possible to avoid.. we'll see.

you can try fiddling with asteroid speeds
edit vegastrike.config
search for

var name="AsteroidDifficulty" value=".05"

change .05 to some other number

to increase/decrease damage edit units.csv and change AFieldPriv's mass

tell us good values so we can incorporate them for 1.0 (this is difficulty tweaking, not feature addition whcih is why it's still kosher at this late phase

JKeefe said:
What's MXC?
Oops.. the quote from that particular episode was "aaastronaut" so my reference was misplaced even if you knew the show :D Picture Takeshi's Castle with rapid fire farce dubbing. yeah.

Back