A weak spot in the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolhand

Spaceman
Greetings ladies and gentlemen.

I know that I could get banned for that, but please read this post completly before doing so.

I was wondering, what could stop somebody to put Wing Commander Prophecy on the Internet for download ? I know, it's considered like piracy. But that's not really that. Ever heard about "Abandonware" ? The Abandonwares are free games availible for download. Those games (contrary to Warez) are full games that are (depending on the situation) either too old to be still availible in store or at the company OR the company has closed down/was bought out.

Abandonware is illegal BUT is tollerated by many companies. A good example of that is the following web site:

At most of the Abandonware web sites, you can find classic names like King's Quest I to VI, Wing Commander I & II, Red Baron...

However, some companies (like LucasArts) doesn't tolerate Abandonwares. In this case, they send an E-mail to the Administrator and he takes all their games off his web site. Because abandonware is made in "respect" for the company.

Like Wing Commander Prophecy is no longer availible both in stores and on the EA web site for mail order, why not put it on a FTP server ? I'm sure a lot of guys (including me) would be glad to download the three .ISO of the game. (For those who doesn't know, .ISO is the extention of the image file created from a CD. It contains all the files on the CD and allow the owner to burn his own CD.)

What do you think of that ?

Neither "warez" nor "abandonware" are legal terms - they're both the exact same form of software piracy. We don't allow anything of the sort here, pretending that stealing a game is some form of "respect" is assinine... pay the four bucks on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back