A stupid little poll for MFR

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I'm back looking for the thoughts of the fans concerning the Marine Force Recon TC I'm building for Duke Nukem 3D. I recently got Half Life setup on my system, I wasn't sure I could run since I only have a AMD K6 266, but it seems to run fine.
So I thought about the possibility of changing the TC over from Duke to Half Life. This would introduce some new options like possible team memebers and innocent bystanders, Which would also let me represent the Kilrathi priestesses during the strike on Firekka not to muention Firekkan soldiers.
However I'm still fairly new to editing Half-Life so I don't know how difficult it would be to change things around to the extent that I can in Duke.
So not only does the change depend on the opinion of the fans but also how much help I can get. I could do a complete change over of Duke on my own, special thanks to Gryphon for his offer of voice work, but Half Life is a different beast altogether.

Both games are great ! Of course Half Life will give you more possibilities, but I think you will need 3d models... And maybe it will be easier for you to deal with sprites. Do as you want. Your game will be good using one engine or another !

[Edited by Sadic on 07-06-2001 at 20:27]

Whoa. Big choice here.

Duke3D is a sprite based game. Making enemies are a lot easier than in Half-Life. The Build edit is also far more simplistic and I know of at least one book written on Build (It's sitting in my room). Also, it will take less time to make the D3d version. Are you using the original 1.3d version or the Atmoic Rerelease? Supposedly, Duke Nukem Forever will be released not only with a level editor but a converter for making D3d games playable on the new game.

Half-Life would take a lot longer time, but would be worth it in the end. D3, sadly, is heavily dated and shows wear.

I can't say anything bad about either game, since they're both masterpeices. Still, I've seen masterpeices done on D3d like "The Shining" Total Conversion that was...so horrifing it was incorrect. That can be seen here: http://home.earthlink.net/~theshining2/

Compare the movie with the game:
compare3.jpg

[Edited by LeHah on 07-06-2001 at 21:15]

Well HL seems to be the resounding choice. PlanetDuke does have a Duke 3D level converter that will change my existing maps over to the Half Life standard. But if I do change over I need to find a 3D rendering program, or someone who has one.
So, like I said, if I can find the help I need I'll do the transition to HL.

Back