A space opera RPG seeking crowdfunding

JMBeraldo

Spaceman
After working for over 4 years on a space sim MMO and publishing two science fiction novels, I went through a 18 month period of involuntary sci-fi exile.

I had to go through it to realize what I really like are space battles, aliens and lasers. It's no wonder my love for science fiction started at watching a friend play WC 1 on his XT back in 1990

So, this year began with a discreet try: a small ebook aimed at converting the Pathfinder RPG system to space opera. Now, it's time to work on the first campaign sourcebook.

And that is where you come in ;)

Veil of Truth: Human Nature is a 64-page source book that brings you Humanity’s story prior and after Revelation Day up to the mid-22nd century. Each of the Solar System’s planets, as well as its major factions and extra solar colonies are presented in their full glory. Learn about the power of Corporate Nations, Earth’s new geopolitical map and of adventure and war in space!
Join the fight and you may get not only the sourcebook, but the chance to be part of it! Create a space colony, be one of the VIPs, get an exclusive hand-made miniature!

It's actually R$3000 (about $1600) :)

Also, crowdfunding is not about wanting money, but about financing projects. After all, everyone that helps finance it does get a product back.

Just so you guys know, I would also like $3,000.

I'm actually aiming a little higher than that for myself. Tack at least two (preferably three) zeroes to the end of that and I'd be happy for a while.

As far as the project mentioned is concerned - all I can say is "good luck". The d20 system (upon which Pathfinder is ultimately based) was one of the first systems I considered using when I started designing SFRPG back in '05. I found it to be totally unsuitable to the task. Hence the homebrew d% system it uses.

Incidentally, they based the last edition of the Star Wars Role-Playing Game on d20, and there was a Future edition of the base d20 RPG system if I'm not mistaken. Space opera is a genre that's already been broached with that system.

Unless, of course, your intention is to renew Spelljammer...

What? I love d20! (ok, I'm biased because I have been playing D&D for years) Do you use a d6 system?

Also: AAARGH, you mentioned Spelljammer, my old nemesis again!

Spelljammer is more science fantasy than space opera. Veil of Truth has no magic or elves in space, but aliens, powerful corporations, star empires, laser guns, space ships, plasma cannons, psionics and a good dose of adventure ;)

Translating Pathfinder into space opera is surprisingly easy once you understand the whys and hows of game design. Most unexperienced designers almost remake the original game systems thinking that is necessary when, in fact, a lot is simply a matter of context. The idea here is not making a new game system, but bringing tons of new possibilities to a estabilished game

What? I love d20! (ok, I'm biased because I have been playing D&D for years) Do you use a d6 system?

Who me? No, I use d% base as a rule. SFRPG was d% based, and WCRPG will also be d% based.

Don't get me wrong, d20 is a good system and I enjoy the games I do play with it (including Pathfinder, incidentally; same thing as D&D v.3) - it's just that when I've tried to write sci-fi with the system, what I wound up with felt like D&D (but in space...).

Also: AAARGH, you mentioned Spelljammer, my old nemesis again!

mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

Back