A Rose By Any Other Nametag (October 15, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum has a cool treat for Wing Commander fans today--scans of name badge props used in Wing Commander IV! Name badges were worn by actors and extras throughout the game, with most of these coming from Border Worlds uniforms. Three are main characters--Pliers, Dekker and Wilford--but many of the others are a mystery. Unlike Wing Commander III, which used the names of Origin and EA executives for extras, most of these don't seem to be direct references to the development team or crew. "Day" is obviously producer Mark Day, but the rest seem to be a mix of callsigns (Jett, Sharpie, A-G, Tarzan, Magnum) and last names (Katto, Lossos, Favazza, Noyes, L. Smith, Sam) that don't synch up to anything in particular. The callsigns mostly don't match up to the game's redshirts, either, although fan favorite "Excell" is included.

--
Original update published on October 15, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say, as a member of the military, the nametags were something that bugged me considerably in Wing Commander IV. In Wing Commander III, it seems they got it right. Every character has their last name written on their nametag. But in Wing Commander IV, some people have their last name, and some people have their callsign. Its not even a mix between the pilots and the navy personnel, because Blair's nametag says Blair, while Marshall's nametag says Maniac. That always made me twitch a little when I saw it.

....rant over.

Well, It' pretty obvious that when you do not have a callsign/monniker you use someone's last name. I pitty the fool who took the callsign "Tarzan", and I don't see it in the picture either, I read "Perzan" inthere somewhere.

And is Lt. Smith actually called that, I can't remember from the movie scene(If you do not defect the first time you see Seether capture and execute him) that you could actually see his badge, at least I always chose to "help him out", when you gave him money for a meal and a bath.

(Slightly) offtopic what did Casper van Dien's WC4 badge say?

Excell rocks, too bad she was only a "redshirt" and did not show up in prophecy, like primate showed up in wc3 and wc4

Well, It' pretty obvious that when you do not have a callsign/monniker you use someone's last name. I pitty the fool who took the callsign "Tarzan", and I don't see it in the picture either, I read "Perzan" inthere somewhere.

(Slightly) offtopic what did Casper van Dien's WC4 badge say?

Yes, but my point is that in WC3, everyone, regardless of duty status, had a nametag with their last name.

Back