A query of curiousity for the mission programmers

Iceblade

Admiral
What are you using to build the missions? just the compiler or do you also use that mission builder thing [misb2] to create the mission cores (eg navs, spawns, player, ships, capships, etc.)

We use Thomas Bruckner's WCPPas version 24c (originally called Mission Builder 4). This program does almost everything needed to make a mod; it allows to build missions, edit already-existing IFF & string files. Missions, missiles, strings, ships, bullets, series, you name it.

Everything is text-based in WCPPas, for the better. No wizards or anything like this. You can learn how to use it and how to make a mod just by looking at all the files included in Unknown Enemy's source code package. There are also some basic tutorials on the site.

Yeah, I know about all of that, just I never liked having to fight the code to get all my navpoints to work. Actually, that is one of the biggest reasons I stwitched engines for RG: it only takes at most an hour to debug an error (and this is only if I add too much code at once where I have to find the problem).

Anyway. it's a nice wizard, at least for the casual SO modder who wants to make simple missions without objectives and stuff. I might scrap together a small sim campaign.

OMG, I can't believe I was so blind several years ago. There is a mission builder 5 extension built into the mission compiler and it looks like there is a bunch of other time-saving and user-friendly tools around that I just never saw. Jeez!

Oh well...boy it looks like SO really isn't that bad to modify now---well except for rooms of course :p

Man, it looks it wouldn't even take me a day to be coding WCPpas with the best of them (FYI, I have previous experience with WCPpas)...except I don't have that kind of time at the moment...I still might make a small campiagn in SO---later on in the spring, though.

As for that basic mission builder (2.0), I can't seem to get it to work. It asks for a compile.bat file, which is not in the zip. I just created and renamed a text file to get into the editor (it worked, but the program can't seem to copy the s0.mis into the mission directory).

@popsiclepete - you tried this wizard before?

Iceblade said:
@popsiclepete - you tried this wizard before?
Yes, but it was a looong time ago, so I don't remember. But really, using a wizard isn't that cool. Of course, when you code your first missions it's nice because it doesn't require you to know all the syntax etc.... but let's face it: you'll never make an interesting mission of a wizard; you'll have to edit the code by hand to have it behave as you want. After you coded a few missions it becomes much easier to simply copy-paste your basic mission structure and functions into your next mission and then edit it. I do that all the time, each time enhancing the way my functions work over the previous mission so the next takes me even less time to code.

The only thing I hate doing manually is assigning cordinates to objects... that's the only thing I'd want as "advanced" functionality of a mission builder GUI: a simple "map" that shows where you actually put objects so it's easy to correct your coordinates before you actually playtest the mission. There is a plugin to WCPPas Thomas Bruckner has made, but it always crashed on my setup and I never took the time to find out why it does...

Back