A new toy to share with the community...

Farbourne

Rear Admiral
I've been playing around with learning some interesting capabilities of Microsoft Excel, and in order to try them out I've created a fun little Wing Commander themed application that I thought would be good to share with the community.

Back when I was a kid, there was a great flight combat game called Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. It was a flight combat simulator for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and lots of fun. One of it's features was a "plane comparison application"--you could basically pick any two aircraft in the game, and it would show you their pictures and a side-by-side comparison of their stats, highlighting which was better at what. Chuck Yeager would also chime in with some sage advice for the best tactics to use if you were in one of the aircraft facing the other.

I thought it would be fun to create something like that for Wing Commander. So I did. I've made it for the WC1 ships, and I'd love to share it with the community and get some feedback on it.

However, I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that. I don't actually have any web hosting space myself, so I can't just upload it to a place that everyone can download it from, and I can't attach it to this post because (1) it's too big (about 4.2 MB), and (2) these forums don't allow attachment of Excel files...just pictures and Word documents, as far as I can tell.

So, any suggestions on how to share it?

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, if folks are curious...

Attachments

• ShipCompareSnap.JPG
    ShipCompareSnap.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 162
I'm sure we could host that kind of thing. Email either the contact us form or news@wcnews.com and we should be able to arrange something.

I have the theme song(chuck's air combat) in my head at this moment.

The point where he "pitches in" is thesame as "pliers" in Wing Commander 4, he would comment on your fighter and missile loadout.

"i was cruising along at '5000 feet' in my 'b52' when suddenly '5 me110's' 'came out of the sun'

ahhhhh chuck yeagers :D

are those specs the ingame values or the manual values? (just curious)

In-game values, I think, although I'm continuously revising the comparer as I continue to figure out which stats are canon (see the other thread I have going about it).

aha! it was actually your other thread that prompted my question - sorry hadn't noticed it was your thread :D

does anyone know if the swc stats are the same?
also, is there a difference in stats between the dralthi you fight and the dralthi you fly (again is swc the same?)

I think the SWC stats are different for some ships, but I'd have to check to make sure.

The Dralthi you fly in SM2 is a Dralthi Mk II. It has more armor, slightly more shields, a different missile loadout, and a different set of guns (mass drivers, not lasers), than the Dralthi I that you face in WC1 and SM1.

You could just upload it to one of the 1-click-hosting services, like megaupload or rapidshare. Or FileFront, which is specific for game-related files, and you can enter a description etc.

I used to love the original chuch yeager game where you could customize your own mission.
I was playing patrol when I was ambushed by 5 of this and 5 of that and 5 of this until I maxed out the fighters on the screen... I got my ass handed to me every time, it was basically a test to see how long I could survive... my record was 15 minutes but I only downed 4 planes. I could get about 30, but I'd be dead within a few moments.

so this is more a response to your other post than this one! - wcview.exe works fine with sm2.exe, just not with wc.exe -I'm not sure why this is. but ignoring that, all the ship stats seems to be in there.

How would you check the swc stats (in game)

and for HCL if he's looking - why wong wcview work with wc.exe!

and in a further post - it seems that wcview works with one of my copies of wc's wc.exe - not sure whats different about it though!

Looks good. When you're out of 'beta' or come up with a version you'd like to release, send it our way and we can post.

In-game values, I think, although I'm continuously revising the comparer as I continue to figure out which stats are canon (see the other thread I have going about it).

There's no one "canon" set of stats for any fighter. If there's stats published in Joan's, then they're "canon," but they're also probably different from in-game (PC) stats, which will again be different from Super Wing Commander stats. You can see how we've compared the three from this example at https://www.wcnews.com/ships/wc1hornet.shtml

So you just need to cite where the stats are coming from. Footnote on the page that what's being displayed are Claw Marks or what have you and you're good. If you really want to be complete, you can include the different versions so that the application allows you to compare WC1 DOS versus SWC, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back