A new Sci-Fi tabletop RPG

Richard H

1st Lieutenant
Hey all, I just wanted to put in a shameless plug for a project I've been working on for the last two years: SCRIOS is tabletop RPG, that I'm distributing free as a PDF at SCRIOS.com and on the iBookstore for iPad. SCRIOS focuses on 3D space combat in single-seat spaceships, utilizing 20-sided dice on a hex map to help show "height", and simple-to-use game aids to avoid a lot of pythagorean math. SCRIOS aims to take a more "theatrical" approach to RPGs, trying to keep the mechanics very approachable in an old-school fashion.

In addition to the free rules, SCRIOS also has optional 3D-printed full color miniatures from Sculpteo, with modular bases designed to hold the 20-sided dice. Using Sculpteo's customization interface, purchasers can custom-color the models to their preference before purchasing.

img_0901.jpg

I was a wingnut from way back: I remember my dad bringing home WC on CD from a computer trade show when I was in 6 or 7th grade. I ate up everything I could, the special ops, secret missions, Armada, Academy, I even had the Origin Screen Saver (for DOS. I mean, WHY?!? But I had Kamekhs floating across my screen, so I was happy to part with the ~$25). I blew my entire Senior Year summer pay check on a Thrustmaster HOTAS setup and the WC3 Special Edition in the film tin. I cried when Hobbes betrayed me (Although, it was 5AM and I'd been playing since the mailman had dropped it off.).

When I was waiting for the birth of my daughter two years ago, I found a copy of WCI just as I was putting my regular D&D group on hiatus, and wished there was a simple WC-style RPG that my non-techy friends could jump into: something not rules-laden, play with all the silly dice but not be ruled by them, and a setting that the players could explore without preconceived ideas from the cockpit of a spacefighter. I don't want to take anything away from the AWESOME WC fan-projects that are happening all over right now, but I thought this might be a group that would *get* what I'm doing. I'm not a big contributor here on the forums, but I do pop in once in a while, so please understand it is not my intention to "spam."

If you don't mind, I am running a Kickstarter until 6PM September 24th. Backers who support the game can receive Backer Credits in the rulebook and on the main webpage, a Thank You post card (featuring an in-game bonus), the SCRIOS Omnibus, and a special version of the Trouble in Tango Box Set featuring plastic miniatures. Backers can also help influence the design of the game by purchasing "naming rights" to the spaceship models found in game, or collaborate with the author to design the next spaceship. Both of these premium backer levels will receive a 3D printed full-color miniature of their spaceship, along with a plastic flight base. Even if you can't back, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look and see some of the information there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Richard, I can't find the pdf on your page (maybe I totally missed it?). I do have an ipad I use mostly for development (I prefer my Nexus 7 for day-to-day use) so I can get it from the iBookstore later, but a generic PDF would be appreciated.

Back