A little something I heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Starkey
There are more countries with "international soccer teams" than countries affiliated to the U.N. I´ll chop my arm off the day Iraq beats Brazil at an official soccer match. The Iraqi players were whipped (literally) by Uday Hussein every time the team lost, which was about always.

Ouch. For real? Why'd you bother playing is beyond me. I guess they would be put to death if they refused. I was going by how skilled they were meant to be back in 1998, as opposed to their win-loss record.

Originally posted by Preacher
I like the way you put the quote from the sympathizer and that angel flying over the earth quote in the same post. it underscores a point I was going to make, which is this: There's a gaping hole in the ideology of those who are like-minded with that sympathizer and/or actual terrorists: The mass killing of innocents(non-combatants) is something that is not found in current JudeoChristian ideology concerning war.

Certainly, and you will find that some terrorists will either try and use this as a defense without really believing in it (much like a plea of insanity when the person is, in fact, completely sane) or do not do it for their God at all, they do it simply to kill innocent people of the West and it's currupt Eastern and Arab allies.

Originally posted by junior
There was also an entire city that was spared. The inhabitants tricked Joshua into believing they'd come from outside Caanan...

He was a little upset about the deception, but kept his word.
You & Nomad T are correct.

Though the orders from God were clear to destroy everyone, the fact is that the Israelis themselves made exceptions (the ones you pointed out). These exceptions weren't necessarily condoned by God per se, but once they gave their word to these folks, He was more concerned that Israel be "promise keepers" (no pun intended), so that His name might be further glorified among the people.

btw, it's not about how you interpret the Bible, here; the instances cited are stated plainly in the text.

Re: Re: Re: A little something I heard

Fair enuff, but what's any of that got to do with my post?...
Everything.

"Pfffft; prove it so, then..."
All right, a few examples. Not too many, though, because digging through the Koran to find specific quotes is not my idea of a good time.

Let's start with this bizarre notion of yours that unless you die in Jihad, you are not guaranteed to enter Paradise. Here's what Surat At-Tin says about that (95: 4-6):
"Verily, We created man in the best stature.
Then We reduced him to the lowest of the low.
Save those who believe and do righteous deeds. Then they shall have a reward without end [Paradise]."

Whoa, no randomness. Quite the contrary. Believe in God and do the right thing. Simple. In one way, you are correct - ultimately, whether one enters Paradise or not depends on the mercy of God, since nobody does purely good deeds in their life. But, this is where your reasoning is at its most bizarre and illogical, because the Koran also stipulates that God is the most wise, the most merciful, the most... well, you get the picture. To rely on God's mercy, according to Islam, is not a crapshoot. It's a guarantee.

This same point is again made in At-Tur (52:17-27). At-Tur, it is also worth noting, is one of only two passages in the Koran that actually mention the Houris (those "dark-haired virgins" of yours). Ignoring the fact that sex is not mentioned (only marriage), it must be pointed out that this is supposed to be Paradise. One of the subsequent paragraphs mentions that the faithful in Paradise will be served alcoholic drinks, and there will be no sin. In other words, in Paradise, all earthly pleasures (some of which are considered sinful on Earth) are permitted, and are not sinful. Females aren't being discriminated against, by the way - this treatment applies to all the faithful. How do they enjoy the Houris? Well, two possibilities, I guess. The first would be that lesbianism is not a sin in Paradise. The second, and IMO more likely, is that the term Houris originally denoted a race of beings (like angels or the Djinn), including members of both sexes. It is true that the practice of Islam (but not the religion itself, obviously) has over the past thousand years become highly misogynyst, but this wasn't the case originally. Until about the 10th century, Muslim women had rights that women in our Christian cultures could only dream about until the 20th century.

And how about Jihad? Well, I don't know about the Hadith, but in the Koran (see, in particular, 2:17 and 25:52), Jihad is not something you will be rewarded for. It's a duty. Nor is it in fact "holy war". It's struggle. It doesn't mean fighting with weapons (although that can be the case). It's doing something to improve the world, to persuade (keyword, persuade) people to stop sinning, or to prevent people from harming the faithful (with force, if necessary, though force is frowned upon in 2:17).

I hope that's enough, because I'd really rather not waste any more time on this.

Originally posted by Quarto

Let's start with this bizarre notion of yours that unless you die in Jihad, you are not guaranteed to enter Paradise...
... In one way, you are correct - ultimately, whether one enters Paradise or not depends on the mercy of God, since nobody does purely good deeds in their life. But, this is where your reasoning is at its most bizarre and illogical, because the Koran also stipulates that God is...
...To rely on God's mercy, according to Islam, is not a crapshoot. It's a guarantee.
-- Bizarre & illogical? I don't think so, Tim.. The citation you gave is nothing more than a general principal. I didn't hear a specific, binding promise made in there anywhere.
-- Guarantee?.. Hardly. Rather, it's a general guideline. Surah 9:111 has Allah making a promise that they who "slay and are slain" in "Allah's way" will achieve the garden (Paradise). Also, in a slightly more oblique fashion, 3:195 talks of those who were persecuted in (Allah's) way, fought and were slain as he would "make them enter gardens beneath which waters flow". While there are many other references to ways a believer can please Allah, this course of action is the only one I'm aware of that explicitly attaches to a promise that those who do this specific thing will be guaranteed Paradise. That's all I said in the first place; that there's only one guarantee, and it's a pretty bloodthirsty one at that. All other ways leave it at a "maybe he will have mercy on me, and then again, maybe he won't" level. That's what I meant by crapshoot; the fact that there's no other way the believer can know for CERTAIN that he'll achieve Paradise. As far as humans go, it may as well be up to chance, if there's no way they can know for sure.
This same point is again made in At-Tur (52:17-27).... Ignoring the fact that sex is not mentioned (only marriage)
'Fraid not. in that same passage, verses 20 & 22 speak of "uniting them" to large-eyed beautiful ones", and then "aiding" them "with fruit and flesh such as they desire". Sounds decidedly un-marriagelike to me. In fact, sounds like a more like a Broadway grab-ass.
And how about Jihad? ...in the Koran (see, in particular, 2:17 and 25:52), Jihad is not something you will be rewarded for. It's a duty.
You are right that it is a duty; but you are wrong that it will not not be rewarded: Surah 8:12-18 (in particular v.17) makes this pretty evident.
Nor is it in fact "holy war". It's struggle. It doesn't mean fighting with weapons (although that can be the case)
True, semantically the word has a more general meaning of "struggle", rather than specifically "war" per se. Nonetheless, the de facto use of the word by Muslims over the last several decades invariably is that of war.
...to persuade (keyword, persuade) people to stop sinning, or to prevent people from harming the faithful (with force, if necessary, though force is frowned upon in 2:17).
Gotta disagree witcha here. The references to "preventing" sin (to use your term) are too many laced with violence to support that view. Btw, I found no reference to the subject in 2:17; was that a typo?...

I knew this would be a waste of time :(.

-- Bizarre & illogical? I don't think so, Tim.. The citation you gave is nothing more than a general principal. I didn't hear a specific, binding promise made in there anywhere.
That's because you refuse to hear it. You're ignoring the phrases that don't fit in with your point of view. "Then they shall have a reward without end" is just as binding a promise as the one you mentioned in 9:111.

Also, what are you talking about, general guideline? You are ignoring the fact that as far as the Muslims are concerned, the Koran is the word of God. In this way, it's different to the Bible and the Torah, which merely transmit what God told some humans. The Koran is directly from God. And God in Islam doesn't lie. He doesn't speak half-truths. He doesn't seek to deceive. If He says that those who believe and do righteous deeds will be rewarded eternally, that's about as binding a promise as you can get.

(on a sidenote, 9:111 says that it is in fact confirming what has been already promised in the Torah and the Gospels)

in that same passage, verses 20 & 22 speak of "uniting them" to large-eyed beautiful ones", and then "aiding" them "with fruit and flesh such as they desire". Sounds decidedly un-marriagelike to me. In fact, sounds like a more like a Broadway grab-ass.
Except that this is a matter of translation. Arabic is so different to English that we really can never be sure of the correctness of the English translation. Thus, in the copy I'm looking at, it says, "and We shall marry them to Hur with wide lovely eyes", and then, "And We shall provide them with fruit and meat such as they desire."
But of course, the difference in words is hardly significant here - what's significant is how you decide to interpret it. You apparently believe that "uniting" refers not to marriage but sex, and that "flesh" refers not to food but sex as well. That says a lot more about you than it does about the Koran, buddy.

You are right that it is a duty; but you are wrong that it will not not be rewarded: Surah 8:12-18 (in particular v.17) makes this pretty evident.
Wrong choice of words on my part. They will not be rewarded any more than someone who simply does good deeds and believes in God will. To struggle for God is a good deed like any other.

Nonetheless, the de facto use of the word by Muslims over the last several decades invariably is that of war.
What's your point? This is religion we're talking about. Man's de facto usage of a word can never replace the original meaning that is said to come from God.

Btw, I found no reference to the subject in 2:17; was that a typo?...
Yeah. It was supposed to be 2:217.

A few months ago I had a bit of free time at work and decided to read through the Koran (I work at a library and thusly a couple of copies were readily available) and I was pretty much horrified with a lot of the things presented. A number of purely anti-Jewish and anti-Christian teachings... instructing Muslims to hate Christians solely because they are friends with Jews? Maybe the translation wasn't correct for the word hate, but any form of expressed negativity due to association is just wrong. Also I noticed a series of verses talking about how Jesus didn't die on the cross, but someone who looked like him took his place, and how Christians are idolators because they worship Christ, too, and not just God.

I don't see why a doctrine of love and compassion and acceptance makes such blasphemous remarks against other religions that theoretically worship the same god.

The Muslim friends I've had I talked to about this blamed it on "mistranslation." Bull. I'm not attacking the religion or anything, but you can't pass something off as mistranslation just because you don't like it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A little something I heard

And how about Jihad? Well, I don't know about the Hadith, but in the Koran (see, in particular, 2:17 and 25:52), Jihad is not something you will be rewarded for. It's a duty. Nor is it in fact "holy war". It's struggle. It doesn't mean fighting with weapons (although that can be the case). It's doing something to improve the world, to persuade (keyword, persuade) people to stop sinning, or to prevent people from harming the faithful (with force, if necessary, though force is frowned upon in 2:17).

Just clear something up for me, if you would. They persuade nonbelievers by killing innocent people? Is that their way of converting people to Islam?

That's because you refuse to hear it. You're ignoring the phrases that don't fit in with your point of view. "Then they shall have a reward without end" is just as binding a promise as the one you mentioned in 9:111
...what are you talking about, general guideline?
No, I'm calling a spade a spade. If the promise is vague/nonspecific, it doesn't satisfy the test. The quote you repeated speaks of "a" reward. My question is, How 'bout telling us "which" reward?...

In Christian theology, there are a number of "rewards" spoken of for the faithful. The ultimate reward is heaven, of course, but there are others for the faithful as well. From this phrasing, there is no telling if the reward spoken of is Paradise, or is perhaps some other/lesser reward. That's why I speak of it as being nonspecific.
You are ignoring the fact that as far as the Muslims are concerned, the Koran is the word of God. In this way, it's different to the Bible and the Torah, which merely transmit what God told some humans. The Koran is directly from God. And God in Islam doesn't lie. He doesn't speak half-truths. He doesn't seek to deceive. If He says that those who believe and do righteous deeds will be rewarded eternally, that's about as binding a promise as you can get.
I'm not ignoring it at all. I'm saying that a read through of the sections mentioned (as translated into English by a Muslim - see below) yield no firm, specific, binding promise made by Allah to the faithful as to the obtaining of Paradise except those pertaining to jihad.
As to your point about the Koran vs. the Judeo-Christian Scriptures, you are mistaken, Padawan. To *each* group (not just the Muslims, dude) their Scriptures are the word of God; true, eternal, and holy. I don't know where you got the bizarre ideas that:

(1) The Christian or Jewish God "lies", speaks with half-truths or deceives, unless it's your way of saying that you are a Muslim yourself, and therefore you must (of necessity) believe the NT & OT are lies, since they are incompatible with the Koran, and
(2) The Koran is "directly" from God. Last time I checked, all 3 sets of Scriptures (OT/NT/Koran) were spoken/revealed by God/Allah to one or more men, who then wrote down said revelations into readable text. That makes the Koran no MORE reliable or reputable than the other 2, and I'll make the point that the writings of 1 man are more open to bias than the writings of several authors whose work together forms a cohesive narrative.

Except that this is a matter of translation. Arabic is so different to English that we really can never be sure of the correctness of the English translation. Thus, in the copy I'm looking at, it says, "and We shall marry them to Hur with wide lovely eyes", and then, "And We shall provide them with fruit and meat such as they desire."
But of course, the difference in words is hardly significant here - what's significant is how you decide to interpret it. You apparently believe that "uniting" refers not to marriage but sex, and that "flesh" refers not to food but sex as well. That says a lot more about you than it does about the Koran, buddy.
For the record, the Koran I'm using was translated by someone named M.H. Shakir, and made by a publishing house in the NYC area (I'm not even gonna try to spell the name, cuz it's Arabic and I know I'll get it wrong), whose imprimatur is "Publishers and Distributers of Holy Q'uran". It don't seem like such a source of the Koran can be accused of Western bias in the translation. Claro?
Anyway, this translation of mine sez that the believer shall be "united to" these women. In English (my minor in undergrad), uniting one person TO another is a different animal than unting them WITH another. Uniting TO implies sexual union, while uniting WITH is more typically used of the equal partnership that is marriage. Thus, it has less to do with my biases than it does the words chosen by the trnaslator. Again, AFAIK the folks that put out my translation seem to be a pretty solidly Muslim bunch, so there's little reason for them to imply something that ain't there in the original Arabic. As to your point about "flesh", I must admit that the usage is not clear, now that you mentioned flesh in the sense of meat (burgers, pork chops, etc.). I guess it could go either way, since the passage speaks both about sex and about eating.

What's your point?...Man's de facto usage of a word can never replace the original meaning that is said to come from God.
Granted, but the original word is an umbrella term that has a quite broad meaning.
If a non-Muslim like me wants to know what Muslims mean when they use a Muslim term, the best way to tell (since I don't currently know anyone that's a Muslim whom I can ask) is to observe how Muslims use that word; what is the predominant context and spectrum (broadness/narrowness) of its usage?... Here, the context and spectrum point to the specific meaning of "holy war", rather than the more general meaning of "struggle".

Yeah. It was supposed to be 2:217.
Thx.
Here, the subject appears to be Ramadan, the Holy Month of Islam. You stated that this passage frowns upon using force against unbelievers. Yet the passage sez that fighting is preferable to being hindered (by nonbelievers) from "Allah's way", and that "persecution is graver than slaughter". This would appear to nullify your statement about this passage. The net message I'm reading here is that a Muslim should rather "kill or be killed" than be hindered from completing his religious obligations during Ramadan. How does that "frown on" violence? Is there some other possible way to "interpret" that passage?...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little something I heard

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Just clear something up for me, if you would. They persuade nonbelievers by killing innocent people? Is that their way of converting people to Islam?

Reading is fun. You should try it sometime.

Hey, I don't deny that it is. I read all the time. In fact, that Islam sympathiser was, in fact, from something I had read. I just don't happen to have a Koran handy, and I was wondering if it could be cleared up, yes or no, whether this persuading to stop sinning from one's point of view or harming the faithful from one's point of view meant using force on innocent people.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
No. They persuade nonbelievers by persuading them. Islam forbids conversion by force. Force can only be used defensively - to liberate the oppressed, or to prevent them from becoming oppressed. Islam also forbids violence against civilians.

Originally posted by Nomad Terror
I don't see why a doctrine of love and compassion and acceptance makes such blasphemous remarks against other religions that theoretically worship the same god.
The Koran tends to be quite hard on the Christians and the Jews precisely because they too, are followers of God. Therefore, for them to stray (as the Koran argues they did) is condemnable, because they should know better. At the same time, I know of no passages that would claim that Christians and Jews must be hated or fought against. According to the Koran, this is a matter between them and God - who, being described as the most merciful, is almost certain to forgive them for straying.
To sum things up, the Koran isn't making blasphemous remarks about them. Quite the contrary, it argues that Christians and Jews are the ones being (somewhat) blasphemous.

No, I'm calling a spade a spade. If the promise is vague/nonspecific, it doesn't satisfy the test. The quote you repeated speaks of "a" reward. My question is, How 'bout telling us "which" reward?...
You're becoming more bizarre and illogical with every post. What other reward could there possibly be in a religion which repeatedly instructs its believers not to get too caught up with earthly possessions and relations? Heaven is the only reward worth struggling for according to Islam. Ergo, God is not about to promise his faithful a shitload of money on Earth.
Furthermore, there is no such thing as a purgatory in Islam (although I recall you mentioning elsewhere that even in Christianity, it's a very questionable concept). You either go to heaven or you face eternal damnation in hell. Now, given that the lifestyle that gets you to hell is clearly defined elsewhere, what else could the reward for faith and good deeds refer to, if not heaven?

As to your point about the Koran vs. the Judeo-Christian Scriptures, you are mistaken, Padawan. To *each* group (not just the Muslims, dude) their Scriptures are the word of God; true, eternal, and holy.
No. The Bible includes sections written by Jesus' disciples that recount stories of Jesus' life. All of these stories illustrate particular points which are related to how God wishes people to live, but they are not the word of God, not in the same way that the Koran is.

(1) The Christian or Jewish God "lies", speaks with half-truths or deceives, unless it's your way of saying that you are a Muslim yourself, and therefore you must (of necessity) believe the NT & OT are lies, since they are incompatible with the Koran,
I am saying neither. I am not a Muslim... but if I was, I'd accept most of the NT and OT, because the Koran says that, with the exception of a few significant details (like Christ's divine nature), these are also holy writings (though somewhat corrupted), and it is possible to live by them and go to heaven. I was also not implying that the Christian or Jewish God lies or deceives anyone. I was merely rejecting your implication that the Muslim God lies or deceives. Indeed, defending the Muslim God and accusing the Christian or Jewish God of such things would be a most ridiculous argument to make, since the Koran says that it's all the same God.

(2) The Koran is "directly" from God. Last time I checked, all 3 sets of Scriptures (OT/NT/Koran) were spoken/revealed by God/Allah to one or more men, who then wrote down said revelations into readable text. That makes the Koran no MORE reliable or reputable than the other 2, and I'll make the point that the writings of 1 man are more open to bias than the writings of several authors whose work together forms a cohesive narrative.
One of the more important tenets of Islam is that after all of the Koran had been passed down, God sent Gabriel down again to verify if they got all the words and even the order of the chapters correctly. As far as the Muslims are concerned, there can be no doubt whatsoever about the Koran's divine origin. Bias is therefore not an issue.

For the record, the Koran I'm using was translated by someone named M.H. Shakir [...]. It don't seem like such a source of the Koran can be accused of Western bias in the translation.
I never said it was a matter of Western bias - simply that Arabic words can be translated in many different ways. Such translations will always be open to question. Ultimately, I would argue, in intepreting the Koran, one must assume the role of the believer - the only way to make sense of the Koran is if you believe that it is the word of God. That being the case... well, why would God promise you sex outside of marriage, if He also says that sex outside of marriage is immoral? :p

In English (my minor in undergrad), uniting one person TO another is a different animal than unting them WITH another. Uniting TO implies sexual union, while uniting WITH is more typically used of the equal partnership that is marriage.
In English, there are many phrases that can carry sexual connotations. Just yesterday, I watched an episode of the tv series Angel, where the phrase "Do you want to stake me?" was used as a joke, precisely because of its double meaning as either killing the vampire in question or having sex with her.
Such connotations, however, come purely from the mind of the audience. There is nothing inherently sexual about the phrase "united to", unless you decide there is.

Granted, but the original word is an umbrella term that has a quite broad meaning.
That's right. Jihad, according to the Koran, can mean war or merely struggle. It can mean violence or speech. It is a very broad term. That's what makes the recent narrowing of its definition particularly irrelevant.

Yet the passage sez that fighting is preferable to being hindered (by nonbelievers) from "Allah's way", and that "persecution is graver than slaughter". This would appear to nullify your statement about this passage. The net message I'm reading here is that a Muslim should rather "kill or be killed" than be hindered from completing his religious obligations during Ramadan. How does that "frown on" violence? Is there some other possible way to "interpret" that passage?...
Yes, there is. My point here is not that God permits them to use violence if necessary, but that the usage of violence is considered a questionable enough issue that its permissibility in these circumstances would need to be explained.

No. They persuade nonbelievers by persuading them. Islam forbids conversion by force. Force can only be used defensively - to liberate the oppressed, or to prevent them from becoming oppressed. Islam also forbids violence against civilians.

Just what some Muslim terrorists use as a defence? Thought so.

It's not even a very good defense ... it ranks up with "We had to destroy that village in order to save it" and "Die by the weapons you adore!" as being slightly below retarded logic.

Exactly what are you expecting from religious zealots? Reasonable arguements about why people should be killed and sane interpertaions of their religious texts?

Arguing with people who have already made up their minds is a waste of time.

Are you hearing this, Dubya? Shrub? Bush, ya there?

Yes, as you may have gathered, the road map to peace has been all but destroyed with the suicide bombing by Mossad, and the Israeli backlash. It sickens me that Palestine use suicide bombings on innocent people, and even more when Yassar Arafat calls for children to become suicide bombers.

http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=17080

This would have to put him side by side with that fat fuck Mugabe as one of the worst leaders in the world today.

Massad ?
If it´s true it´s interesting how they choosed a jewish symbol of rebelion to name their terrorist group.

Hamas, I meant to say, and it was actually the Islamic Jihad who claimed responsibility, and not Hamas like I've heard news reports claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back