A Little BattleTech & Shadowrun Nostalgia

For the oleschoolers

This was way before Playstation this and XBox that!
I was surfing the web and I found these two sites of BattleTech
www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=gallery
and Shadowrun www.shadowrunrpg.com/

I was looking through some of the BattleTech galleries and felt and start to remember the good ole days of being a kid and owning lots of Shadowrun and Battletech literature which I have no idea what my parents done with since Ive moved out 5 years ago..maybe they still have all my old stuff in the attic somewhere!!I wish this stuff didnt die out! Any other fans out there?
Mercenaries_Supplemental_I_Cover@full.jpg

Handbook_House_Marik_Panel%201%20of%204@full.jpg

I still play Battletech. I'm working on an assault star and a heavy star of Clan Cloud Cobra omnimechs. With the new Master Rules book, the game is a lot of fun, and it's much cheaper than any Games Workshop game.

When I first started playing Battletech it was with a bunch of people who just wanted the combat. Later I realized the rich history behind the setting, though after that the combat no longer did it for me, and I moved on to different games. Still, sometimes when I want to blow some stuff up on a hex map I will pull out my Battletech compendiums and techincal readouts and go to it.

As for Shadowrun...... MY FAVORITE RPG EVER!! Hard to play, and the hardest game to GM (been GMing for about 15 years, not bad for being 28), and it requires the most "paperwork" to get done. I have always been a seat of the pants GM (many of my best campaigns in other games were that way), but not in SR, you have to get your stuff set up. But the RPing possibilities are endless, the setting is awesome. Anyone who is down for a awesome pencil and paper game, Shadowrun is it.

Wouldn't be FASA anymore, the company is gone.

Shadowrun was bought up by Wizkids and Fanpro, and released by them. While the video game rights of the FASA franchise is owned by Microsoft itself, which brought us games like Mech Assault.

FASA studios, owned by Microsoft is making a Shadowrun FPS, which is just using the name and some elements of the setting, FanPro and Wizkids have already announced its a "based off of" game rather than offically canon with the original shadowrun world. The FPS looks kinda nifty, throwing magic in with normal gun mahem, and hopefully it will be a cool game, just not the Shadowrun RPers have had since the early 90s.

BlackJack2064 said:
Wouldn't be FASA anymore, the company is gone.

Shadowrun was bought up by Wizkids and Fanpro, and released by them. While the video game rights of the FASA franchise is owned by Microsoft itself, which brought us games like Mech Assault.

I hope they make another Mech Assault for the Xbox 360. I think theres more chance of that than getting Mechwarrior 5 for the PC.

I dont understand why theyr'e releasing Mech Assault for the DS tho. Dont Microsoft own the rights?

I'm a long time Shadowrun fan.
Never really had the chance to play battletech though I have looked at it quite extensivly.

Yeah, Mechwarrior is another series that seems to have tragically come to an end. I've often though there was very similar characteristics between WC and the Mechwarrior series...and that there could have been even more. Mechwarrior was another neat game where you could give instructions to your lance (read: wing) mates. It would have been neat if they had included an option like WC where you could taunt your opponents and if they had thrown in some random encounters with enemy aces. I still play Mechwarrior Mercenaries from time to time. Great game. You could spend hours custom tweaking your mech trying to find the right loadout.

Maj.Striker said:
Yeah, Mechwarrior is another series that seems to have tragically come to an end. I've often though there was very similar characteristics between WC and the Mechwarrior series...and that there could have been even more

Aye, my thoughts exactly. My 2 favourite games, Wing Commander and Mechwarrior, both cancelled with little hope of being brought back. But, you never know. Anything is possible. I certaintly didn't think EA would ever revisit the original C&C, and now look - thats exactly what they're doing with Tiberium Wars.

This is the first EA game I cared about in years.

Say, is Battletech still going on TableTop? I know that the books are going off in weird directions (I liked the first three Dark Age books, but the premise still sucked like your mother's vacuum cleaner), but i'm hoping TT stays strong.

Back