A german article

Evan

Rear Admiral
Heya there,

I wrote a german article for the online-magazine Gbase about Space-Sims and history. If you like to read it, go to www.gbase.ch and tell me, what you think =).

Cheerio,
Evan

Hm... sounds great to me.

BTW - to bad that several sims simply seems to be forgotten: I-War, Echelon or Novalogics Tachyon...

So youre working for this mag?

Deacan

Yeah, I wrote the article.

I-War was mentioned but I thought, some of them (Tachyon for example) aren´t that important to mention. It was just too less space to write everything down, I concentrated on Wing Commander because of its impact for the genre.

Yeah, I wrote the article.
It was just too less space to write everything down, I concentrated on Wing Commander because of its impact for the genre.

Yepp, and youre right. I think Wing Commander and X-Wing where the two "pushers" for this genre.

Deacan

Tachyon IMHO deserves a mention for its multiplayer part. I think it was the first PvP system that wasn't a simple FFA or Team FFA (at least outside of pay per month systems).

It still amazes me how ahead of their time Armada's cooperative multiplayer campaigns were.

OMG, you´re right. How could I forget Armada? This game was one of a kind and definately ahead of its time. Too bad, there wasn´t a sequel or at least another multiplayer-part in another WC. I liked the strategy-mode very much.

OMG, you´re right. How could I forget Armada? This game was one of a kind and definately ahead of its time. Too bad, there wasn´t a sequel or at least another multiplayer-part in another WC. I liked the strategy-mode very much.

The Proving Grounds addon was a neat expansion for it as well. It significantly expanded the space combat aspect with six live players, neat upgrades and a massive asteroid space environment. And there was actually yet a third multiplayer Wing Commander game - Prophecy Advance had a cool team deathmatch mode that actually allowed four live players to team up against waves of enemies. Multiplayer Wing Commander games have always done a good job at making the most of what's available to them.

Eheheheh, the english translation is kinda hilarious:

"On the soil of the facts
When 1996 Wing COMM other 4 appeared, both a positive and a negative measuring pole were set: Most expensive production to date as well as the probably most stretching story in a space Opera catapulted the fourth part of the series to the point of the Verkaufscharts."

But from what I could understand, great article!

Wing COMM Other 4 is great ;). I thinnk we should call a fan-project after this translation ;).

Thanks for the news and for all the kind words, I tried my best.

My German is nowhere near as good as your English, but it seems to be an excellent and thorough article -- a credit to Wing Commander and space sims in general. Very nice work.

Back