A future Space Sim

yea..most of you guys got it down. i really like what milo had listed with what Starshatter has. is that playable on XP?
i cant really think of much else to add to the list. i totally agree with the ships blowing up and fighter damage. and point specific ship damage. i thought Starlancer had decent ship explosions...some of the best i've seen. freespace was alright too. but starlancer was cool because it was like a sub imploding. the explosions going across the whole length of the ship, then a bright light and loud noise to leave a skeleton or two drifting in space. i'm sure with the way technology is goin, someone will come up with a game to simulate space war in full detail. that is a day i'm sure we all live towards. cuz also, i'm kinda tired of repetive missions and star ships to be weak and not as menacing as they should be ex. Star destroyers and so on. yea ok i'll stop..i'm just rambling

Dark_Knight said:
i really like what milo had listed with what Starshatter has. is that playable on XP?
Thank you. Yes, Starshatter is playable on all versions of Windows from Windows 95 on.

Well, except for WinCE of course.

Curiosity, milo
are you the only one behind that game?
and is that interface the final one? cause its quite complicated...and I think you kind of need a designer's hand on your GUI, both in and off mission
seriously, its complicated to understand what to do, what is what, what is going on etc
question, what you plan for multiplayer? I saw the button but there is no reference to it on the website

And back to why I made up this thread, thanks everyone on your input. It was actually very enlightning, most of all to know some of those things were already in progress for a while :)
It may still take a little while for a website to come up, as we want to hold it for when we feel is the best moment to present the whole idea, but considering we were asked for a workshop here about virtual reality next month for a presentation in an university, and have to get some stuff prepared, maybe we will have something to show soon (that if our lead programmer, who is paranoid, dont yell at me again for mentioning it in the internet)

Any more input and ideas are greatly appreciated!

- K

I got one. How bout something to do with missile and torpedo arming times? Like, if you watch a good submarine movie, The Hunt for Red October for example, the torpedos have arming times. If that was some how intergrated into the game, it'd make for some pretty interesting tactics. One, you couldn't just sit behind a cap ship and lock your torpedo. Two you couldn't fire a missile to close to an enemy fire. It'd be cool to see a missile hit a ship...and then just kinda bounce off.

That and it'd be cool to see a cap ship charge a torpedo to hit it before it armed.

Nifty idea, but I'm pretty sure that, by the 26th century, they've handled the problem of missiles not arming in time. Matter of fact, fighter-launched torpedos are armed before the fighter or bomber even launches. They pull the arming tags. That's technology that we have today, matter of fact.

However, I always thought it would be damned funny to see a huge chunk of debris fly out after a torpedo strike and smash into an unsuspecting bomber parked a few meters away.

Kalfor said:
Curiosity, milo are you the only one behind that game?
Mostly. Everything in the demo was done by me in my spare time. I have since added an art director who works even more part time than I do.

and is that interface the final one? cause its quite complicated...and I think you kind of need a designer's hand on your GUI, both in and off mission
seriously, its complicated to understand what to do, what is what, what is going on etc
question, what you plan for multiplayer? I saw the button but there is no reference to it on the website
No, the interface has been redesigned since the demo. You can see a sample screenshot here. In addition to the new graphic look, it's been reorganized a bit to help you know where to go next. The interface is still rather complex, but it's a complex game.

And yes, multiplayer is supported over LAN and Internet. That's the main feature that is being tested in the beta program right now.

And back to why I made up this thread, thanks everyone on your input. It was actually very enlightning, most of all to know some of those things were already in progress for a while :)
It may still take a little while for a website to come up, as we want to hold it for when we feel is the best moment to present the whole idea, but considering we were asked for a workshop here about virtual reality next month for a presentation in an university, and have to get some stuff prepared, maybe we will have something to show soon (that if our lead programmer, who is paranoid, dont yell at me again for mentioning it in the internet)
OK, will keep an eye out for your announcement. Good luck to you and your team!

I wish I can create a custom space sim. Unfortunitly, C++ requires memorizing almost 1000 keywords which I'm not good at. I can write only very simple text-based environment only programs with this language.

However, I do create a very large varity of models of starfighter ships with different type of styles from original idea. Capships and gunboats will be soon. I use vegastrike for custom things now. I also create a few nebula backgrounds too.

I do all this for a hobby.

Back