A future Space Sim

Kalfor

Spaceman
I have delved around this forum for years, and I had seen a lot and read a lot, but now i decided to ask something more direct (which probably was asked before)

What would you want in a space sim? Wha would you want to be able to do, use, see etc. That both single and multi player
Tell me what you want
who knows, maybe someone will attend your wishes :)

- K

I want a very epic story. Something serious and grand. I want lots of interactions with my environment, such as that seen in StarLancer with your locker and quarters etc. I want characters and action and fun. I want a story I will never forget, just like Wing Commander.

Sometimes I wonder if I really want a new Wing Commander. I mean we see so many remakes of games hit the dirt. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider.

If Chris does another game, he has to make it big.

it would have to be massivly interactive, the abilty to be several differnt things like a pilot, a commander, a soilder.....it would have to have an imence story line to it somthing that can drive the plot on u should have several differnt fractions u could be ec kilrathi human firkarrn (sp?) somthing like galaxies would be great

Epic storyline obviously and the more original the better.

For a Privateeresque game I'd like to see some stuff like in Tachyon. The missions there had been quite cool. Unfortunately it was far too linear as you noticed on second play.

For a WC military game I'd like to see something like Armada, but with a storyline. Lets say like X-Com Interceptor, only good ;)

A new wing Commander wouldn't hurt.:)

Great storyline, character interaction, multiple game paths, the usual WC stuff. I'd also like to have a bit more advanced flying system. the current one is good enough, but I'd like to have some stuff like breaking thrusters added that would allow some oretty stunts. I always liked that kind of maneuver where you, when you get chased, punch in your braking thrusters, the enemy darts past you and flys straight into your crosshair. :cool:

yeah or the abilty to do say and autoslide barrelroll into a reverse or somthing like that makes sence in my head.... picture this.....an enemy fighter is on your tail, u hit auto slide taking u completly 90 degrees away from him a full barrel rol and hit reverse thrusters, u shoot back past the enemy fighter onto the enemy tail....just a tricky way of a basic manuver i spose.

but a more advanced flight combat system would be good, one that allows u to do more complicated manuvers.

A space sim where capships actually engage each other. Not just sending little torp boats to blow the enemy.

A game where you really see that your carrier is chewed by couple of destroyers etc.

And of course dynamic story line.

yeah cap ship battles propper ones would be good, when u see the ships chew bits and peices of there ship then a salvo hits the engines and it just disintergrates.....would be great

Aside from an epic branching storyline the two biggest things I want out of a new space sim would be atmospheric missions and something that would be really customizable.
On the atmospheric side of things I think it would be cool if you could transition between space and atmosphere whenever you want, but I don't know how technically feasible that would be. You would probably still need some sort of transitional load like they did in WC3 and 4. I would also like to see cities and canyons you can fly through so that if you have a ground target you might have to actually fly between skyscrapers to get to it.
On the customizable side of things I'd like to be able to add my own music, like GTA 3. But also I would like a built in mission editor as well as a sort of instant action option that lets you pick your ship, battlefield, and how many enemy fighters you will face and what their experience levels are. But even beyond that I would like to see tools come with the game that would help the average person to easily build and integrate their own ships into the game.

Now if the game is in the Freelancer\Privateer vein then I'd like to see a little more freedom when buying equipment for you ship. Maybe have something similar to Mechwarrior where you have so much space to use. So you could take a light fighter, strip it down to a basic shell before cramming in a big ass power plant, but your restricted to the space on hand so you might end up with no cargo bay.
Alternately I think it would be cool if you were free to attach anything you salvage to your ship. So you could blow a corvette in half and take what remains, engines-hull components etc., and attach it to your ship, expanding your available weapons hardpoints and equipment space. So you could, eventually, build a huge Frankensteinesqe battleship.
It would also be nice to be able to attach your own markings to your ship. So you could have nose art from WW2 or simply a shark's mouth. To go along with that it would also be cool if you could build up your own criminal organization and recruit other NPC or live players to work for you.

I've got a bunch of ideas that are too numerous to list them all hear but these are the biggest on my wish list.

Shaggy said:
...really customizable.
...On the customizable side of things I'd like to be able to add my own music, like GTA 3. But also I would like a built in mission editor... But even beyond that I would like to see tools come with the game that would help the average person to easily build and integrate their own ships into the game.

You're talking of Wing Commander Saga:Battlegroup Serpent, minus that atmospherical stuff. ;)
But even that might be possible in the later releases, depending on what the code monkeys of the Source Code project implement.

If it's a military-style sim, I'd like to see more realism . . . like "Oh, damn . . . my cockpit just took a hit, so I've got roughly fifteen minutes before I freeze to death . . .

or, how about "Well, son, you missed your target, but, lucky for you, your competant wingman nailed it. We'll survive the next little bit without you, because your ship is so shot up that you've got a downgripe. What's that? We'll never win the war without you? Think again, puke. We could send you home and our chances would stay the same. Now drop and give me twenty before I kick your punk ass back to terra firma!"

Good to know in some things I have predicted your opinions :)

LOAF, what you mean by "Capships that actually explode"? There are games with an explosion and then nothing, some with explosions and then a dead hulk in space

Milo, "thinking of" may be the wrong verb :)

And what else?
What you think on types of missions? I saw a reference to Tachyon, which has some interesting missions like protecting an out of control ship against asteroids, and going after spysats

What kind of things would you like to be able to do in a mission?

Kalfor said:
LOAF, what you mean by "Capships that actually explode"? There are games with an explosion and then nothing, some with explosions and then a dead hulk in space

I believe what he means is that we need better damage model. In the current simulations what you see is a big ball of fire than the capship cripples into big boxes and float around.

I would like to see when the ship starts to explode, it should do it gradually. Like an explosion is tearing the hull apart, where you actually see the textures bending outwards etc. Even couple of different damage models for each capship. Or you fire a torp to a side of the capship, after impact the explosion comes out of the other side. But even then, the undamaged parts of the ship keep firing at you.

I know, its probably asking too much but thats what I would like to see :rolleyes:

Back