a few ship questions.

Danaru

Spaceman
I have a few questions about ships in the wing commander universe.

1. when looking at the hornet's file, it says:
Jump Capable No (Variant 1 & 2), Yes (Variant 3)
What exactly is variant 3, and is it any different from 1 and 2 apart from missles and jump capability?

2. when did they retire the old drayman:
wc1draymanthumb.jpg
and replace it with the new one:
p1draymanthumb.jpg
?

3: are ejection seats (like in privateer, the ones you can still control) jump capable? I say it's not, but a friend of mine insist's they are.

4. in secret missions 1, what was the super weapon (the one used on goddard) called, and when did they destroy goddard with it?

thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
1. In Wing Commander on the SNES I believe, there was a cutscene where a hornet/s and rapier/s jumped. Other than that it was the same.

2. Sometime in the period of 10 or so years between the end of the Tiger's Claw and the start of Privateer's storyline.

3. Not that I'm aware of.....

4. Sivar (after the God of War) and they used it in one of the first few missions, you get to Goddard too late to help (.... and this causes Jazz to hate you, the ship's cleaner, your uncle, and his nephews, cousins, best friends, aunties pet monkey)

3) Wow, now that is crazy.
4) it was the Phase Transit Cannon, and it was used in Goddard as a test of its capabilities, IIRC

From LOAF's new Concordia FAQ:

In 2654 the Kilrathi tested their prototype Proton Accelerator Gun (aka 'Graviton Weapon') on Warhammer XII. The weapon fires a special explosive burst (which appears similar to a Particle Cannon blast) at a target. The explosion is followed by a 137 fold increase in gravity, which completely eliminates a target. The weapon went on to form the centerline armament of the Kilrathi Sivar dreadnaught, and was field-tested with the complete destruction of Goddard Colony. The Kilrathi weapon had a single operational drawback: it took several minutes to lock and fire -- it could not effectively be used against starships. For several months between 2654 and 2655 the Confederation's Task Force Delta took part in Operation Thor's Hammer: the pursuit and destruction of the KIS Sivar. The wreckage of the Sivar was returned to human space, where it was studied by Confederation scientists. The Concordia's Phase Transit Cannon is the resulf of these studies: a Proton Accelerator Gun which trades damage potential for speed... although it cannot destroy a colony like its forerunner, it can effectively target and destroy enemy capital ships in a single blast.

1. when looking at the hornet's file, it says:
Jump Capable No (Variant 1 & 2), Yes (Variant 3)
What exactly is variant 3, and is it any different from 1 and 2 apart from missles and jump capability?

Variant 3 is the one that appeared in Super Wing Commander. It's listed as jump capable because there's a cutscene where a Rapier II and a Hornet are part of a group of ships which jump... for some reason. The only other difference is, as you noted, the missiles. In the 'console' versions of Wing Commander (SNES, 3DO, SegaCD, etc.) the fighters were given double missile loads to make the game easier.

2. when did they retire the old drayman: and replace it with the new one: ?

I don't think it was a case of the ships being replaced - one is the version available to civilians and the other one is the version for the military (or it's just a case of reimagining the original design - which also happened in Super Wing Commander, which features a yet another vastly different Drayman). Some of the Privateer concept art features military 'box' Draymen.

3: are ejection seats (like in privateer, the ones you can still control) jump capable? I say it's not, but a friend of mine insist's they are.

I'm not sure what you mean. There was no way to eject in Privateer - you had to self destruct your ship.

Ejection pods that have limited maneuverability (like those seen in Wing Commander Academy) are not jump capable.

4. in secret missions 1, what was the super weapon (the one used on goddard) called, and when did they destroy goddard with it?

The Proton Accelerator Gun. It destroyed Goddard on November 22nd, 2654.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm not sure what you mean. There was no way to eject in Privateer - you had to self destruct your ship.

Sorry about that, I was talking about the Privateer remake. (ctrl+E to eject in remake) I've been trying to track down the original privateer for some time now, so I don't know the original controls.

Edfilho said:
what the heck, what is the phase transit somthing then... I'm sure I heard about it.

Phase Transit Cannon.... Its confeds version, based on the kilrathi one mentioned in this thread.

The phase transit cannon was the big gun that the Confederation class (WC2 Concordia) carriers packed. Evidently its use was discontinued after some self-destructive mishaps.

Sorry about that, I was talking about the Privateer remake. (ctrl+E to eject in remake) I've been trying to track down the original privateer for some time now, so I don't know the original controls.

Ugh, yeah -- they added a lot of stuff to the remake purely for the sake of leaving their mark on a classic. You can't eject at all in the original game.

what the heck, what is the phase transit somthing then... I'm sure I heard about it.

Read Chris' post.

Danaru said:
That does sound crazy. Did they ever give you a reason for thinking that?

Eh, now that we know we're talking about the remake, it's entirely possible that that *does* happen in the game. I would not be surprised to learn that you could arm your Remake-generated ejection seat with hyermissiles and gold plated rimrams.

It certainly doesn't happen in the Wing Commander universe, though :)

wasnt there some kind of hack/patch for (was it P2?) a space sim that let you control a guy in an EV suit.

Hehe, yeah, I made that while I was learning to hexedit Privateer 2. It's a savegame you can download from the CIC that has the player ship set to the little 3D spaceman. He has one laser and can move at 50 kps.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
That does sound crazy. Did they ever give you a reason for thinking that?
I never thought it myself, I always thought that making a jump in an ejection seat would probably kill the pilot, but a friend of mine insisted they could jump.

Chernikov said:
That sounds pretty rockin, and it might even make P2 hard. Too bad you can't do boarding actions.

Just arm it with some of those very unlikely hyper atomic bombs and you'll have smooth sailing.

I don't think you can change the armament of the Privateer 2 space man. The only good thing about him was that he could kill enemy capital ships like nobody's business -- he was so small that the dual mount turrets fired at him would go around both sides instead of hitting him.

Unfortunately, one or two lucky shots from a fighter would kill him. It was a fun little experience.

Back