A few new effects implemented by...

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
A few new effects implemented by the capable hands of the Source Code Project team make the game a LOT better looking.The most important one is of course the specular mapping. This is the first REALY NOTICBLE enhancement to the FS graphics engine so far. Oh, one tiny little thing, not sure if it can be dealt with though... Because of the vertex shading, the moment one of the
vertices of a highlighted polygon moves off screen, the engine stops drawing the highlight for the entire poly, this is particuarly noticeable of very bright highlighted sections of ships. Anyway, it's only a tiny thing, but I fear it could become annoying when you are flying close to a ship and only 5 or 6 polys are filling your view.

Another improvement are engine trails (a Freelancer-like effect). The good: it really makes things look fast! And the engine clipping is gone, so that you can't see the engines through the sides of the ship anymore! The bad: The trails are still super long on some capships even if they aren't moving. Not too much of a problem but it can look funny. On the other hand: I am sure this issue will be solved (if it is not already) by adding trails scaling.

About the current progress: as always a lot of new ships have been added: Constitution-class (transport), Waterloo-class, Midway-class, Khalaf, Korlarh and Olympus Starbase, just to name few.

I've uploaded two screenshots, one of which shows the Morningstar with the other without specular mapping.

Attachments

• morningstar.jpg
    morningstar.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 127
  • screen01.jpg
    screen01.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 137
Ohhh, that looks great! Do you have any screens of the Engine trails? I'd like to see what you've done exactly.

Here's another shot with specular lighting, which looks awesome on the Crossbow. That thing looks so real as if you can reach into the screen and touch it.(Note: The Textures are just half finished)

Attachments

• screen01.jpg
    screen01.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 108
  • screen00.jpg
    screen00.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 123
WOW! WOW! and WOW! again.

My quick thinking is that I want this mod NOW. But then if you need to do more stuff for it, I understand!

Looking better by the hour, though!

Since nobody else care, I should probably ask why you're going with the Homeworld cinematic-look ...

Bob McDob said:
Since nobody else care, I should probably ask why you're going with the Homeworld cinematic-look ...

hmm, I am not sure I understand what you mean... could you be more specific? And afterall, HW does not have a synematic look, this is more a privateer look. What you see is not the Confed Crossbow, but the pirate version of it. As Lynx already mentioned, this texture still needs a few finishing touches... I am sure that we can show a final version of the ship in a day or two.

As to the release date: right now everything is looking like that the game will be released in a few months, I would say December-February. It depends on how quick we can replace obsolete texture maps, write 4-6 missing missions and finish balancing the game.

Regards Tolwyn

metallics > green-scale fleet painting

especially since the next version of the FS2 Open Source exec will have shine mapping :D

Back