A crazy idea!

Kjasi

Spaceman
I'm new here, but not to the world of Privateer. I created a kick-ass Privateer page back in the day, but my Pirvateer days are nearly over.

But I have an idea. What if a group of people got together, and wrote a 3D engine that was designed to play Privateer in a Windows 2000 enviroment? But wait... there's more! What if, when building this engine, we made a way to optionally replace any ship in the game with a 3D model, easily exported from, say 3D Studio Max or Lightwave 3D. Can you imagine lifting off, and having to dog-fight Retros in a fully 3D enviroment, with 3D enhanced ships?

Does this idea sound crazy, or plausible?

vegastrike is standalone. it can do all those things... it does not yet have WC ships... that's my job. I'm creating a game set in 2669 called wing commander universe. think privateer 3 using all wc ships from wc1-3 /armada/swc/privateer 1

I was already starting on a wing commander game (standalone) that would take place between wing commander 1 and 2, but I guess it's no use since so many people R already making a game of it and I don't know as much about the history between those two games as lets say the entire rest of this forum does.

maybe I'll just make one with the ships and characters from the movie, I dunno.

Originally posted by CrashOV
I'm not that good, and I don't have much time to help out either, I wouldn't be much help I think

...well, how were you proposin' to do a project on yer OWN, then?...

I never said I was doing a real project, I was just saying I was working on a standalone game of wing commander, it's my first time programming a game in 3D and so I make a game I like to learn the language bit by bit. i'm not even saying it'll ever be a finished game.

About the Idea.........sound really really crazy.......

If you got the spirit... just do it.I just want to say that:

Lots of people said "Ill make a WCproject" "Ill make that,Ill make the other" etc...

Some of them abandoned from the very begining.
Dont be so impressed with the idea..its really dificult to accomplish.....:confused:

hehehe, I know the feeling... so many people think WC:U is vaporware... hehehe It IS being worked on. but it's primarily a one man project and I can't be bothered releasing preview stuff so until it comes out all I can do is work on it and ignore those who doubt it's existance....

RE: Vegastrike:

Is my memory totally munged here, or didn't VS start out as a fanmade WC game (read: NOT "Privateer-style")?...

if so, when/where/why did the focus change to Privateer-type stuff?...

Earth Militia didn't get off the ground due to lack of support maybe Q3 2003 it will be started but due to my decision much of my Earth Militia will try to have no Wing Commander References. I will be away in Q1 and Q2 2003.

vegastrike began as an attempt to create a wc engine. it was going to be for a privateer game. we changed from that initial idea because of legal issues. There was always going to be privateer but full campaigns were also planned. Vegastrike has gone fully legit. i however am running the blackops side of development. I am continuing the development of privateer 3 based in the WC Universe. hence the name Wing Commander Universe. it'll have ships from wc 1-3, priv, swc, armada, and academy.

Very Good Darkmage.. But I think it should be better to give us some screenshots or something from that project even if its too early until its completion...:cool:

Crazy idea

Guys
Vega Strike is a currently running project.
if Darkmage finishes his Wing Commander mod of it that will help a currently running project---namely Vega Strike to develop a bigger fanbase, etc.

Vega Strike really needs more support from the WC community that it is getting...
so far there have never been mroe than 2 developers and 2 artists onboard at any given time....
for a long time it was 1 until a network-only programmer has come along and started helping me....
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/ is the URL in question and it is very much a WC project in spirit and hopefully in action if you all get together and help the 2 (darkmage and mamiya0taru) who are porting privateer ships and so forth...
it already has the full gemini sector programmed in to those of you with the WC prophecy map who can find it ;-)

Enjoy

I also remember when Vega Strike was a relatively small fan-made game. I had a go at the very first version, but I probably wouldn't be able to play the new releases on my old computers. :(

Damn... Hellcatv`s right.Wish I was able to help.I would be in every WC project:D but.... I dont know anything about programming etc...

Im good in something though............ Im a very good player:cool:

hey, if you can play... get in there and PLAY! we need mission testers and designers you don't need to know how to program to do that stuff. most of it is self explanatory when you look at the game's documentation.

Back