A Couple Questions

FrostyNSO

Spaceman
Sorry for all the questions. I was away from WC for a while and am just now coming back so I appreciate any insight you can lend me.

1) I recall in the ICIS manual (I can't verify this because I can't find it now so my data could be wrong too)it says that Maniac scored his 2000th kill which puts him at like the 12th highest in Confed history for kills. 2000 kills? Only ranked 12th? I'm pretty sure Blair had more so what is he ranked? Is Iceman in the top ten? Who is number 1 and how many kills does that guy have?

2) In another thread (The Iceman vs. Seether thread), someone says that Seether handed Blair and Maniac their butts and that Blair won by being tricky. Could someone explain to me what happened?

3) Does anybody know anything about the Mantu? I have searched all around and can find only vague references. I would've thought that Confed would have more data on them now that they can seemingly travel as they wish through Kilrathi space.

4) How big is the Kilrathi Empire in relation to the Confederation?

Sorry for all the Q's.

1.) ICIS I think also mentions Blair's rank in the all time high. I think Carl La Fong is #1 although I'm not 100% sure.

2.) Seether heavily damages Maniac's hellcat and gives Blair's dragon a once over. Blair is only able to beat Seether using unconvential moves that surpise Seether.

3.) They are a exporlatory race that the kats ran into and started a war with. ICIS manual covers this with all our knowledge.

4.) Check out the WCU map on the CIC

To correct Dundradal, Maniac was the 14th highest ranking Space Forces ace, and Blair was 11th. It should also be noted that Maniac scored 2001 kills prior to the Midway encountering the Bugs, and had 25 years of service behind him... but that still put him only 14th overall.

1) I recall in the ICIS manual (I can't verify this because I can't find it now so my data could be wrong too)it says that Maniac scored his 2000th kill which puts him at like the 12th highest in Confed history for kills. 2000 kills? Only ranked 12th? I'm pretty sure Blair had more so what is he ranked? Is Iceman in the top ten? Who is number 1 and how many kills does that guy have?

Maniac was 14th, Blair was 11th.

The explanation behind the rankings, from Blair's bio in the Wing Commander Prophecy Official Strategy Guide: "* Blair's kill ranking is higher than it sounds, because of the period during which he flew. Most of the top aces of the three-decade Kilrathi Conflict flew during its bloody early years, when defensive technology on both sides was minimal, and the Kilrathi were far more inclined to all-out suicide assaults than they would become in the later eyars of the war. Blair and Maj. Todd "Maniac" Marshall are the only aces in the war's top 40 to enlist after Custer's Carnival, making Blair and Marshall far and away the top aces of their generation."

Casey's ranking is not known, but he's significantly lower than Maniac or Blair: according to the ICIS Manual, he had 367 confirmed kills.

2) In another thread (The Iceman vs. Seether thread), someone says that Seether handed Blair and Maniac their butts and that Blair won by being tricky. Could someone explain to me what happened?

Blair wasn't really tricky, he was very skilled - Seether cripples's Blair's engines leaving him dead in space... so he uses the "mine trick" to shoot himself at Seether (ultimately killing him with a Dumb Fire).

3) Does anybody know anything about the Mantu? I have searched all around and can find only vague references. I would've thought that Confed would have more data on them now that they can seemingly travel as they wish through Kilrathi space.

The ICIS Manual retcons any relevance from the Mantu: Once the propaganda and legend are stripped away, the Mantu seem to have been an insular, somewhat paranoid race of explorers and prospectors who reacted with extreme prejudice to Kilrathi aggression. Significantly, there is no suggestion in the historical record that the initial aggressor in the conflict was the Mantu. Probably the Kilrathi assaulted non-military Mantu vessels in much the same way that they did at the beginning of the Terran conflict.[/i}

(Which leaves the relevant references from the novels only to establish a bit of historical background - the major war with the Mantu was around 2431 and there was a border skirmish in 2598.)

4) How big is the Kilrathi Empire in relation to the Confederation?

Depends who you ask. :) The Kilrathi Empire takes up a lot more space, but a lot of it is empty (Hari Space, for instance, gives them a thousand star systems). Confed has fewer star systems, but a larger number of colonized worlds (and presumably a larger population).

Awesome, that clears up a lot =) Thanks.

Anybody have a listing of Confed's Aces? Sorry this has me really curious, I believe the highest victory total in real life was the 352 of Eric Hartmann. I'm just curious how many were racked up by Confed's best.

I don't think any such listing has ever been published (and in all fariness very little about the early days of the war has been written). We only have the occasional reference to how many kills a pilot had during the war in novels and manuals and such.

as your answer to 4) i remember looking in my claw marks book a while ago *thinks of the good old days* and the kilrathi appear to own more systems than confed, this gives an idea to tell you that the kilrathi empire was larger than confed, but presumably not after the war.

The map included with the original game was only the Vega Sector - compare it to the Gemini Sector map that came with Privateer... in that instance, Confed owns 95% of the systems.

Back