a bug or glitch with my tv or ps4 not sure.

Jdawg

Commodore
Not sure anyone can help me with this but in certain games like uncharted 3 and now until dawn. Im having lighting issues. what I mean is in uncharted 3 when certain scenes happen, its like the game cant decide rather a shadow should be on drakes face or not. my tv or game will light his face than put a shadow real fast back on his face and this constantly happens back and forth during only some scenes, same thing with until dawn. Does anyone know is this a game glitch, a ps4 glitch, a hdmi glitch, or a TV issue not being able to produce the image quick enough. I tried turning off dynamic contrast, and it did nothing.

It sounds like a character may or may not be within a occlusion zone. Once the character gets within range of an object that would normally provide ambient occlusion it'll draw shading in reaction to light effects cast from that shader. The character during certain scenes may move in and out of that zone creating a noticeable shader change.

I'm not familiar with the PS4 system per-se but I've seen this in some games on PC too: Tomb Raider games, newer Assassin's Creed games, etc.

Your issue sounds like a game engine issue and not something you can effectively alter from a console system. Is there a method in game options to alter shadow rendering preferences or distances? That's probably the only direct user tweak option you may have.

It sounds like a character may or may not be within a occlusion zone. Once the character gets within range of an object that would normally provide ambient occlusion it'll draw shading in reaction to light effects cast from that shader. The character during certain scenes may move in and out of that zone creating a noticeable shader change.

I'm not familiar with the PS4 system per-se but I've seen this in some games on PC too: Tomb Raider games, newer Assassin's Creed games, etc.

Your issue sounds like a game engine issue and not something you can effectively alter from a console system. Is there a method in game options to alter shadow rendering preferences or distances? That's probably the only direct user tweak option you may have.
thank you, you are probably right in uncharted it happened when your in an old castle and light is coming through cracks in the wall and its like the game freaked out in this one room. in until dawn it happened when a character was by a fire and there were no other lights, it is just jarring bc it is literally like a character is stepping in and out of a shadow constantly. and I should add that the whole room goes from lighter to darker, like a flicker. the first time it happened thought my tv hdmi ports were going bad. has not happened in the witcher yet or any other uncharted games.

Last edited:
How often are you noticing it? If it's just occasionally, it's likely as intended (try watching a Let's Play from the same platform to compare!)... if it's happening very frequently, it could be a sign that some component on the console is malfunctioning.

not very often and only in two games so far and certain scenes let me watch a lets play. the reason I dont think it was as intended though is bc when I say it changes rapidly I mean it, like somebody flickering a light switch on and off real quick or is this case somebody lowering and rising a dimmer light knob over and over. What I came across the most during my research is hdmi cables or the tv cant compute as fast as needed, im just using a westinghouse TV. I wonder if it was an upscailing issue bc they remastered uncharted games for the ps4

Last edited:
Back