71 Years Ago Today...Operation HUSKY and a father's letter to his son

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
As the title says, today is the 71st anniversary of the Invasion of Sicily. I mention this because of my travels there last year as part of battlefield staff ride put on by the 1st Division Museum and the Gregg Centre out of the University of New Brunswick. I just wanted to post a small note about the soldier I studied for the trip, Captain Charles H. Cooke, Jr. of Athol, Massachusetts.

7 July was his son, Sandy's, birthday. Below is part of a letter I discovered in the Athol Historical Society during my research. It's become a central part of my Second World War lectures because Captain Cooke so clearly outlines why, sometimes, we have to fight.

7 July 1943 was Sandy's fifth birthday. The letter recounted his other birthdays and what they did and then goes on to what the may future hold:

Captain Charles H. Cooke said:
"When you are six years old, Son, I hope to be home with you. If I am not, I hope you will always remember that there are millions of us fathers who are in the army fighting just so that little boys like you can always have birthdays and celebrate them as you wish; fighting so that you never have to do exactly as some man says; and so that you can go to school and to any church you want. We are fighting so that when you grow up to be a big boy and a man you can be a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, a minister or anything that you wish. Always remember that, Son, and remember these things, not because we want to but because it is our duty and privilege to fight for our country. One of the finest things about our country is that in time of war there are always men who are willing to fight for it. We have never started a war, Son, but we have always won them. If you are unfortunate and our country is forced to war, I know that you will do your part and fight.

Lastly, Sandy, there may be times when you are afraid, but if you think about it, the fear becomes far worse. You need never be ashamed of being afraid, Sandy, as long as you do your work despite the fear. It is only cowards who let fear keep them from doing what is right.

Next year, Sandy, you will be starting school, so have a good time this year and play while you can. Keep your fingers crossed for me and remember that you have made me proud and happy ever since July 7, 1938."

Captain Cooke was killed in action three days after he landed on Sicily on 13 July 1943 while coming to the aid of a paratrooper from the 82nd Airborne Division. He received the Soldiers Medal, for swimming to shore during the invasion and then back again to confirm his men were going to land in the right place, and the Silver Star for directing withering fire from his 105mm guns during the counterattack of the Hermann Goering Division.

Capt-Charles-H-Cooke.jpg

Back