6th fleet

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Something I just realized when I re-read the script for Privateer: the Bartenders talk about how the 6th Confed Fleet was destroyed and supposedly by the Steltek drone. But wasn't it the 6th fleet too, that was destroyed in Deneb at the end of SO2?
Has it been rebuild and reassigend to a different sector, just to become destroyed again? Poor guys...

The Bartender mentions how the 6th fleet was lost at Midgard. According to the Prophecy map, Midgard is in Epsilon Sector (oddly enough, it doesn't show a Deneb Sector, though there is a Deneb Quadrant within Epsilon Sector). Furthermore, Epsilon is south and east (rimward and anti-spinward, to get technical) of Gemini Sector, where, of course, Burrows and the drone are. Thus, I would suspect the bartender is just reporting major war news, not just something that happened in Gemini.

Deneb became Epsilon... all the other Deneb systems are there.

I would have to blame...

... Captain Johnny.

SabreAce said:
The Bartender mentions how the 6th fleet was lost at Midgard. According to the Prophecy map, Midgard is in Epsilon Sector (oddly enough, it doesn't show a Deneb Sector, though there is a Deneb Quadrant within Epsilon Sector). Furthermore, Epsilon is south and east (rimward and anti-spinward, to get technical) of Gemini Sector, where, of course, Burrows and the drone are. Thus, I would suspect the bartender is just reporting major war news, not just something that happened in Gemini.

Sure, I thought of that too but the encyclopedia states here that it was the Steltek drone that destroyed the 6th fleet and I think that's also what was intended with the bartender's remark, adding to that "There's something out there!" atmosphere that's being created in Priv.

And: there's a Midgard system in Priv too, in the Clarke quadrant of Gemini, just next to Perry. Fitting place for a Confed fleet.
Whereas the Midgard system in Antares quadrant is a Kilrathi system. OK, not too unfitting for a Confed Fleet to be, still...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why the encyclopedia would say that - it's almost certainly an SO2 reference (which, I note, was more than WC3 was ever willing to provide...).

OTOH, Priv is more than a year (almost 2?) after SO2, so why would the Bartender talk of it like it's big news? Maybe it's been classified until then or news travel slowly into the Gemini sector which is just backwater...

I think it works in both ways...maybe the 6th fleet is just unlucky. :)

[Yeah, but WC3 brought us that wonderful "Kilrathi destroy orphan ship" reference which leads to the declaration of war!]

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
OTOH, Priv is more than a year (almost 2?) after SO2, so why would the Bartender talk of it like it's big news? Maybe it's been classified until then or news travel slowly into the Gemini sector which is just backwater...

I think it works in both ways...maybe the 6th fleet is just unlucky. :)

[Yeah, but WC3 brought us that wonderful "Kilrathi destroy orphan ship" reference which leads to the declaration of war!]

Think about it this way man, the destruction of the 6th Fleet was during the disaster in which Confed lost half of its fleet/heavy carrier force. Bear makes a reference to this when he chews out young Tolwyn in End Run, and also said that this was still "classified". So he's just revealing it to the active duty Confed pilots, who already have commissions and flight training and all of that, but they didn't know the whole story. Imagine how long it'll take for that same news to reach civilian sectors, much less ones that are so far away from the front.

Also, I hadn't forgotten about those comments you sent to me. I've been super busy lately. I'll work on them ASAP :)

Yes, it's quite possible that way. The details will surely be classified for a long time but the simple information that the 6th fleet was lost could have arrived to Gemini in less time. Still I can't tend to the one or the other explanation...

About the comments: take all your time: I won't have time to do a new review before June 22nd anyway. :)

psych said:
Think about it this way man, the destruction of the 6th Fleet was during the disaster in which Confed lost half of its fleet/heavy carrier force. Bear makes a reference to this when he chews out young Tolwyn in End Run, and also said that this was still "classified". So he's just revealing it to the active duty Confed pilots, who already have commissions and flight training and all of that, but they didn't know the whole story. Imagine how long it'll take for that same news to reach civilian sectors, much less ones that are so far away from the front.
That's a rather doubtful explanation, especially considering how little time it took for rumours about the loss of the Behemoth to reach the public (in one of those WC3 newsbriefs), or, for that matter, the news of ships being destroyed by the Steltek drone in Priv. Besides, there was a period of truce in the meantime, and it would have been very hard to keep pretending that the 6th Fleet was still out there when everything else was being mothballed.

heres another confusing thing about WC:
In WC4, Tolwyn says that we werent officially at war with the Kilrathi, but in WC3 we learn about the orphan ship getting destroyed and confed declaring war on the Kilrathi. Was Tolwyn lying or something?

and also, in wc4, it says Hawk homeworld was Ella Minora, but in WCP they say that Hawks homeworld was Mylon 2. so which is it?

A formal declaration of war requires the existence of a diplomatic infrastructure. Without an embassy to pass the message to the Kilrathi a declaration of war could be nothing more than political grandstanding.

The meaning of the 'homeworld' column in WCIV is unclear. We know, for instance, that Maniac isn't from Mars... he's from Proxima. It's quite possible that it means something along the lines of where the character now lives (I was born in Washington DC, I grew up in Maryland, I live in Texas - which is my home?).

Back