6,000 Marines???

FrostyNSO

Spaceman
The Midway can carry up to 6000 marines during wartime? How many Hercs are we talking to land all of these guys?

Would the Midway have enough shuttles to land them all at once? Or would they be making multiple trips? How many boots does a Herc carry anyways?

No, the Midway carries 6,000 people altogether - the Marine Expeditionary Corps it carries is just 1,500 men, and presumably that includes some non-combat staff as well.

There's differing numbers for the crew size: the ICIS manual claims the Midway will eventually have 6,000 crew members... but also (in the WCP Gold version, which quotes from the WCP Guide) that it can carry 'up to' 7,000 crew members.

The Marines are said to be a "Marine Expeditionary Unit" which consists of "two battalions". If Hercules' are anything like the landing craft seen in earlier games and novels, the Midway would carry between ten and fifteen of them in order to deploy its entire MEU.

Bandit LOAF said:
There's differing numbers for the crew size: the ICIS manual claims the Midway will eventually have 6,000 crew members... but also (in the WCP Gold version, which quotes from the WCP Guide) that it can carry 'up to' 7,000 crew members.
I imagine 6000 would be a "full" complement, with 7000 being "we can fit them in without danger"--if for example they were taking on survivors from a destroyed ship.

Of course, then there's the fun of "wing" in the sense of "flight of usually two fighters on a mission"--which was always the sense in which I interpreted "Wing Commander" in 1. So in 2 Angel's the wing commander for the Concordia, but Bluehair gets to command e.g. iota wing on any particular mission.

7000 could include extra personnel for specific missions. like more marines, more pilots, more science people. The Midway is really the Enterprise of the WCU i.e. the ship that can do mostly any military and scientific job.

So many Midway/Enterprise jokes around. But at least they didn't win the war by using some using some [inserttechnobabblenamehere] particles to [inserttechnobabblenamehere] the alien ship.

Or maybe come up with some complex jargon to describe an action, then immediately say a simple comparison.

Ex: " Maybe we could {blah blah blah} through our weapons and {blah blah blah} until we could strike..."

" ....like popping an over-inflated balloon! "

Back