48 page paper for my freshman year!

QuailPilot

Spaceman
In class we had to do a short story. Well it became a novelet. I just enjoy saying that I did a 48 page paper in my freshman year. :p :D ;)

PS: It's the largest paper ever in my school.

Speaking as someone who has to grade Freshman comp papers, don't turn in a 48-page paper as your short story.

I hope you're joking.

Because I can see a TA/grader or a professor automatically failing it for being too long.

Halman said:
I hope you're joking.

Because I can see a TA/grader or a professor automatically failing it for being too long.
Sorry I'm not joking. There were no limits on the story, and my teacher said, "The longer the better." I don't think my teacher would fail me on this. I know.
I was also realy bored.

I wrote a Paper like that for extracredit in History last year. 30 pages, it was about D-day* Later my history teacher and I had a loooong discussion on why you should not turn in a 30 page paper. (5-6 for a paper is pretty good. In my new history class 10-11 is the sweet spot)

(*Not to be confused with Space D-day. Let us remembet the 700,000 space men that fought against space evil)

I wrote an eleven page paper about the Crusades in one night the day before it was due last semester. It was my crowning achievement of the semester.

You joker...48 page short story!? i once wrote a short story that was 3-pages and ended up getting a B - and I THOUGHT that was LONG!?.

Anyway whats ur story about?

Sheesh. I just sent a 150+ page proposal to Legal. When it gets back, I'm sure they'll make me add another 30 or so. You just wait until you can enjoy corporate life.

On topic: Stating "the longer the better" for a short story exercise is somewhat dubious in my eyes. If you have a limitation, you learn to adjust your writing skills for best effect; otherwise you start rambling - in stories as well as scientific papers or business documents (and believe me, 150 pages was already the lower limit).

uhhggg . . . I had to HAND-WRITE this story about (I don't know, was a while ago :)) and it was 5 pages

I generally don't write stories... though I did have one which was 15 pages long... we basically had 2 weeks at school, and our teacher told us to write a page a day...

I went a page over, hehe!

But 35 pages is just stupid.

Speaking from experience -- lots and lots of experience -- a single page paper is just about the hardest thing to write.

maniac89 said:
uhhggg . . . I had to HAND-WRITE this story about (I don't know, was a while ago :)) and it was 5 pages

Is that supposed to be a lot to hand write?

My senior thesis in anthropology was 130+- pages. The norm is 90 - 140. 48 for a short story is a bit of a stretch. Also, as a person who has had to grade intro anthro papers you would be losing points in my book. No need to be too wordy and describe everything down to the atom. Short story falls definately under 10 pages, I think 5 might be nice, but even then getting on the long side.

Primate said:
If you do it in one sitting, sure. Nowadays pretty much everybody uses a computer.

Most people i know write 6-10 by hand on all-day tests and stuff... I usually get pretty high marks for 2-3 pages though, because the teachers think my writing style is pretty neat.:)

I typed it...(After hand writing it.)

Basic story...A captain gets betrayed, and he goes to find out who did it. End of 15 seconds or less review. I can't see how people can fit a "good" story on one page.

(Sorry Loaf your not grading this one.)

I was talking about papers, not stories -- although, yes, certainly single page (or single paragraph and even single sentence) stories are very in vogue today.

Back