4 year old killed from Mission Space ride

Remember when people wouldn't post silly shit that had only the very slightest of connections with the thread subject, for the sake of ++postcount? That was great.

I think we should just eliminate people seeing their own postcount number or get rid of ranking altogether. (If they don't know how many times they've posted towards a new "rank", perhaps they'd stop spamming?)

They'd probably spam more.

X-Falcon, your thought about requiring parents to have a license in order to have children sounds remarkably familar. There was a chap with a similar idea, what was his name, of yes! Adolf Hitler.

Now, I'm not ragging you too hard because I do understand what you're saying...there's a lot of absolutely horrible parents out there that are worse to their kids then it would be if they were just orphaned. Despite that, there's no way you can place a limit on who can and can not be parents. That's a right afforded to every human being...if you can find someone who'll marry you and you think you can give it everything you've got then congratulations! Go and have a happy life. Just don't step into it with the thought that you're just trying it out for a little while. Again, Quarto said it perfectly...don't be going and looking for blame on tragic incidents like these where there is no blame to be placed? If you really believe that parents should be free to discipline their children without the fear of sixty people screaming "abuse!" and taking their children away from them then calling parental negligence in a case like this is the worse thing you could do to your argument.

X_FIREFALCON said:
You called me dangerous...I found that a bit laughable, no offense to you or your words (it just made me laugh at what you said and myself a bit). You - and many of the others here - would probably feel better demonizing the things I'm suggesting, considering them to be the words of a completely radical mind, and you're welcome to think that (I'm not here to argue differently). But should the world continue on its present course, I would be curious to see your thoughts on the matter in the years to come.
Calling you dangerous was basically a slightly exaggerated way of suggesting that you don't understand the implications of what you're saying. I didn't mean that you were actually dangerous.

...Until I read this post. You really are dangerous. I find it scary to think that you're out there somewhere infecting people with your ideas. If even one person out there reads your post or listens to you in real life and agrees with you, that's already a disaster.

But that's just hyperbole on my part, isn't it? I mean, all you said was that parenthood should require a license because there's irresponsible people out there having kids even though everyone agrees they shouldn't. Surely, preventing such people from having kids would improve the world? Wrong.

Lemme try to put this in as few words as possible, as I don't feel like writing a two thousand word essay today. A license is not a one-time thing. If the government grants you a license, it can revoke it. This means that the day the government introduces parenthood licenses is the day parents lose control of their kids. When you drive a car and come by a "stop" sign, you stop without thinking. You don't care if the situation really requires you to stop. All you care about is that the government put it there, and they can revoke your driver's license if you ignore it. It would be the same here. You don't want your parent's license revoked, after all... you've grown attached to the little blighters, and you don't want the government to take them away. So, the government controls what you do with your kids. The government calls the shots. Your kids would effectively be government property. Hey, that would put a great new twist on election campaigns. "Vote for us! We'll let you keep your kids!"

And let's talk enforcement for a moment. What are you gonna do, make it illegal to have sex without a license? Yeah, that'll work, I can see people obeying that. Or what, just abort all the unlicensed pregnancies - that's a fine piece of mass-murder. Hey, I know - we'll give out free condoms at schools, supermarkets and tax offices, and make it illegal for people without a license to have sex without a condom. Yep, that's a nice and cheap solution (in the context of the USA, I suppose we're only talking about a "few" billion dollars a year). And it surely does wonders for all the religious people out there who just might disagree on the morality of using a condom. But hey - who gives a damn about such religous extremists? You don't want such people to have kids anyway - no license for them. Ooh, and China's got great some tips about how to deal with offenders against such laws... so, who's up for sterilisation?

LeHah said:
I think we should just eliminate people seeing their own postcount number or get rid of ranking altogether. (If they don't know how many times they've posted towards a new "rank", perhaps they'd stop spamming?)

Now that the Word game thread is gone, I don't think I've seen any "spamming" in weeks. Maybe some years back people would artificially try to get their postcounts up, but I don't think anyone's cared about numbers and ranks too much in years. I think people are just concerned with eventually hitting 2000 and getting their own avatar at this point.

Yeah, if you don't piss off an admin and then they attach one to you that's horrible.

On the subject of this ride. Why in god's name is everything related to horrible parenting when a child dies? And if it wasn't disney, do you think the news media would have given half a damn about it? All those journalists that I heard talking about it, were of the mind that Disney knew it was dangerous and now those parents should sue. Thank you media, for controling my mind.

-Rance-

ChrisReid said:
I think people are just concerned with eventually hitting 2000 and getting their own avatar at this point.

Hence "doing away with rankings".

Back