3dfx effects with nVidea gforce/ti cards

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to get the 3dfx smoke/fog and lens flare effects with one of the new nVidea cards? I just installed Prophecy on my new computer....my old computer used an OLD voodoo 1 board. I am now using an nvidea card with 64 mgs of 3d accelerated punch, however i cannot get the fog/flare effects to work...is there a patch for this?

oops sorry i see

Sorry i see now that this question has been addressed already many thousands of times! Guess i should have read a bit of the posts before shooting off my question!

Are wrappers trustworthy? Btw i have a TNT 2 64 by Nvidea.

I was told wrappers are dangerous and can f up your system.

can u believe im running prophecy and freespace on a Pentium MMX 266? and they look beautiful and play smooth.

I simply can't afford a new computer so I am stuck playing older games like Half Life, StarCraft and WP 4, Prophecy, and Freespace (not to mention Diablo).

Does anyone know if Privateer 3 is ever going to come out?

ALso are there any people still playing multiplayer Freespace?

Great Forum by the way...very slick looking.

I have no experience with wrappers as I still got a Voodoo 1 card just for that.

You can get lensflares with a small patch to be found here:
http://www.karl.frank.name/wc
Wing Commander: Prophecy D3D Patch (62k)
This patch adds lens flare when running Wing Commander: Prophecy with a D3D compatible graphics accelerator.
No fogging however.

Re: Privateer 3: Not as it was ever planned. There might be future WC games, but what was worked on as P3 is dead as it can be.

Karl's patch is a great bonus. Fogging is not as cool as it sounds. Rather than add nebulous fog, it really adds distance-obscuring so that you'll have faraway objects slowly phase in rather than pop up. It's a nice effect, but the least important of the five perhaps. Still.. many prefer the original voodoo just for the slight authentic graphical flavor it it brings. A voodoo 1 is the only way to run the 3dfx test as well. They're cheap and they'll still work with your existing modern video cards, so they're a good investment for the WCP/SO player.

The 3Dfx Test seems to run fine on a Voodoo 5 (presumably also on a Voodoo 4). The other added bonus to using a Voodoo 5 is that you get the FSAA dealy that makes Prophecy models smoother.

thanx for the positive feedback

I am curious,... is it possible to hook up my old voodoo one board to my Nvidea board so as to get further acceleration? will this f up my system further or cancel out the benefits of my nVidea card?
I was given the nVidea card by a friend and he told me not to bother hooking the voodoo card to it.."the nVidea is all you need" he told me. But now im wondering if it might be worth it if it will give me the 3dfx commands that i want.

decided to join the forum/Secret Ops in XP

Hi, i've decided to join this forum so now instead of unregistered Im using my Freespace/Wing Commander call sign: Jabberwokker.

Thanx for the heads up regarding the d3d patch (i knew there had to be a way to get that lens flare effect working)

I was the one who posted the question regarding hooking up a voodoo one to my nVidea Tnt card....

Also, i can't get secret ops to run on my Win XP 266mmx 144mg ram system....

I know there is a patch to get it to run under win 2000 (i read the posts by the others having SO probs) but im confused as to what the best solution is to get it to run under XP

thanx guys! :)

Sure you can hook a Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 card into a system that already has an Nvidia card in it. I got a GEforce 3, a Voodoo 1 AND a Matrox Mystique 220 all together in one system. My only problem is that I start to lack remaining interrupts.

No, you won't get more speed. For each game that supports it you have to pick which card, the TNT or the Voodoo will do the job. If the game doesn't ask it will usually use the TNT.

Regarding SO, did you try to set the game to Win9x compatibility mode?

Back