3D printable models

CMDR_Scotty

Veteran Spaceman
Hello all,

not sure if I'm in the right part of the forum, if not so, pls move it.

I'm looking for Wing Commander Ships to print and build up a fleet step by step covering all era's.
Thanks to Thingiverse I already got quite a collection of STL files together.

Just.. not every vessel is to find.

Missing:

WC1
Terrans:
Venture, Exeter, Drayman, Sleipnir

Kilrahtis:
Salthi, Jalthi, Krant, all cap & support ships

WC2
Both: space stations

Terrans: all fighters aside Broadsword
all cap & support ships aside Concordia

Kilrathi: entirely Missing, afaik

What do I hope for

A suggestion how to create them partly myself.
I'm a noob if it comes to 3D CAD and got an arrow in my knee, but I'm willing to try.

A kind soul which might already got some of this together.

I would even try attaching paper models together to 3D scan 'em...

Any chance to reverse engineer egosofts XSP ship files to something usable for converting to STL?!

Thoughts, comments , help?

All welcome

Regards,
OScotty

I would check for the author's permission, but it's not very hard with blender to export to STL. You can import any 3DS model and do so.

I would check for the author's permission, but it's not very hard with blender to export to STL. You can import any 3DS model and do so.
Thanks, had come that far by my research last 2 days, too. 😉

The point is, majority of published vessels are WC3/4/P or Priv1/2.

WC1 only the terran fighters and the Claw.
For Kilrathi ships, iirc, I found Salthi, Dralthi,Darket, Paktahn, Kamrani (WC 3 Corvette) and Hvarkann Dreadnought (seen if you loose in WC3) as STL.

For the XSP ships, I ll contact the creator, guess its best solution, indeed.

On the other hand.. any recommendations for 3D tools to create 'em myself?
As said would give it a try, just will start at beginner level.. ^^

Hello all,

not sure if I'm in the right part of the forum, if not so, pls move it.

I'm looking for Wing Commander Ships to print and build up a fleet step by step covering all era's.
Thanks to Thingiverse I already got quite a collection of STL files together.

Just.. not every vessel is to find.

Missing:

WC1
Terrans:
Venture, Exeter, Drayman, Sleipnir

Kilrahtis:
Salthi, Jalthi, Krant, all cap & support ships

WC2
Both: space stations

Terrans: all fighters aside Broadsword
all cap & support ships aside Concordia

Kilrathi: entirely Missing, afaik

What do I hope for

A suggestion how to create them partly myself.
I'm a noob if it comes to 3D CAD and got an arrow in my knee, but I'm willing to try.

A kind soul which might already got some of this together.

I would even try attaching paper models together to 3D scan 'em...

Any chance to reverse engineer egosofts XSP ship files to something usable for converting to STL?!

Thoughts, comments , help?

All welcome

Regards,
OScotty
I'll be straight with it, if @Klavs81 gives the OK for it, I've got pretty much all of these missing models in .obj or .dae here, which I converted from his files as part of making the Homeworld 2/Remastered Wing Commander mod. But these are his files, thus the tag.

3D List.png
In addition to the ships shown in the folder list, I've got all these listed in this quick guide for the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1177630694

And, yes, printed Wing Commander fighters look good.

c00c24b7-78d0-407c-adac-ac979a2741e6-jpeg.12712

Go for it. Just please don't sell them, they're for the community. It'll happen anyway but I'm just asking here.

The reasons I'm selling the Redux'd models is to make it slightly more painful for them to wind up getting sold on Shapeways or wherever. If you paid $20 for something you might hesitate to sell them for yourself. Plus my daughter is aware that we're putting them up to pay for her medical bills, she loves helping me put them up to "sell them" because usually when we sell one she gets a treat that the models "paid for." She's 7 and she knows what a UV map is, scary smart kid!

All flimsy philosophy but there it is.

Thanks, had come that far by my research last 2 days, too. 😉

The point is, majority of published vessels are WC3/4/P or Priv1/2.

WC1 only the terran fighters and the Claw.
For Kilrathi ships, iirc, I found Salthi, Dralthi,Darket, Paktahn, Kamrani (WC 3 Corvette) and Hvarkann Dreadnought (seen if you loose in WC3) as STL.

For the XSP ships, I ll contact the creator, guess its best solution, indeed.

On the other hand.. any recommendations for 3D tools to create 'em myself?
As said would give it a try, just will start at beginner level.. ^^
For WC3, you can find the meshes in Wing Commander Saga's files. For 1/2, the files I have from Klavs are a bit older than the ones he's put on HangarB, though (except for the Rapier II series I bought from there), and they're the result of a weird workflow that would make the ghosts of Ada Lovelace and Alan Turing rightfuly curse me (they weren't made with game integration in mind then), so I cannot guarantee they'll be printed nicely compared to his the new ones, especially considering the quite large poly count some of them had (the joke was that a single of his fighters ingame was bigger than some entire mods).

The Privateer 3D archive contains most of the ships and stations from WC2:
I wouldn't recommend it, they're not designed for it. This was at the very beginning of 3D design and they were intended for very small prerendered images. I don't think it's even technically possible, a lot of them are essentially collections of basic shapes rather than single meshes.

The redux'd models are lots lower in polycount, more emphasis on better UV and PBR workflow :D

I'm sorry for all the hastle, I was learning!
You kiddin'? That taught me a lot about tinkering with 3D models and reminded everyone in the Homeworld modding community that Wing Commander always has the bestest best models and ships even now. Plus, your stuff gave the WC1/2 shipset a really cool common identity.

Back